Tigra (Marvel Universe)

Enforcer84

• 2 years later...

Re: Tigra (Marvel Universe)

Just so you know what you've done.... I've started reading Golden Age romance comics, because of the Greer Nelson/Patsy Walker/Hellcat connection. It's all your fault.

I'm not actually planning on writing up The Cat or Hellcat, though. I'll just stick with homages.

Ones based on the lame-o characters from early romance comics.

Just so you know what you've done.... I've started reading Golden Age romance comics, because of the Greer Nelson/Patsy Walker/Hellcat connection. It's all your fault.

I'm not actually planning on writing up The Cat or Hellcat, though. I'll just stick with homages.

Ones based on the lame-o characters from early romance comics.

So Greer was a romance model character? Hehe...I wondered why her professions listed: Police Detective, Research Scientist, Model.

So Greer was a romance model character? Hehe...I wondered why her professions listed: Police Detective' date=' Research Scientist, Model.[/quote']

Not quite. Unlike Patsy Walker, she started out as a superheroine, although one aimed at a female market (as imagined by men). Her background was romance comic-orthodox, though, having met her dream man at college, and dropping out to marry him. The following smilie should, I hope, be unnecessary: :sick:

The Walker/Greer connection comes from Walker having started out wearing one of Greer's old costumes.

Obviously a character influenced by them would have to exhibit romance character tropes. Especially the more "traditional" tropes.

Highly appropriate for a Silver Age character. Sadly, I wouldn't dare play one.

The Silver Age Batwoman would be another example of this kind of character, although her background was less orthodox.

The character of Patsy Walker is one of the oldest currently owned by Marvel, going back to the mid-1940s. For close to thirty years she and her best frenemy Hedy were funnybook rivals in girls' comics. They were very similar to Archie Comics' Betty and Veronica, not surprisingly given that all four characters were written by Al Hartley at the height of their popularity in the 60s (though Hartley didn't create any of them). She languished in the 70s after girls comics lost traction, making the occasional guest cameo as a civilian in various superhero books largely for nostalgia value and comic relief. Avengers writer Steve Englehart wrote an interesting twist on the character in the mid-70s. PAtsy, who was physically fit but had nothing resembling a superpower and had very little training, decided she wanted to be a superhero -- and damned if she wasn't going to become one! She essentially browbeat Captain America and Iron Man into letting her onto the Avengers, appropriating Greer Nelson's leftover agility-enhancing supercostume after Greer had mutated into the Tigra form and didn't need it anymore. While in the Avengers she met and married Daimon Hellstrom, Son of Satan (her second husband), who ultimately was semi-indirectly responsible for driving her (more) insane and causing her to commit suicide (the specifics of which have been retconned several times and are kind of hazy). She ultimately was revived and left Hellstrom, and ever since several writers have eeked out cheap laughs that the superegotistical Hellstrom is still kind of hung up on her. She was a frequent member of the revolving cast of the Defenders book, but is rarely thought of as a core member of that team. Although she still has Greer's supersuit, Patsy's only bona fide superpower of her own is that somewhere along the line she became completely immune to magic.

Since the mid-90s Hellcat has been largely a background/supporting character, but she is obviously one of if not the favorite superhero of writer Kathryn Immonen Immonen wrote a wonderfully funny limited series about her in the early 2000s and has featured her prominently in several other books she has written since, like Marvel Divas and Heralds. I love Walker as written by Immonen; Immonen perfectly captured the feel that Walker is too crazy to be taken seriously, but also too crazy NOT to be taken seriously. Unlike the majority of emo-angsty reluctant heroes who pine for a normal life, Walker is in costume because she really, really, REALLY wants to be, and nobody is going to damn well stop her.

Like the write-up' date=' but a 36 DEX? Should it really be that high?[/quote']

This is why I like to design things with an offset designation rather than a number. If you define her DEX as [CAMPAIGN_AVERAGE_DEX] + N, then her performance will be the same, whether your game features an average DEX of 10, 20 or 30.