Essentials Universe (Amalgam)

Vondy

Commence Project Journal

Note: this thread is my project journal; I will have things I want input or feedback on.

I'm in a building kind of mood. I've started working on an amalgam universe. Its my favorite Marvel and DC characters in one continuity. Not all of them, however - only the ones that fit neatly into the package. I'm not writing a megilla on it, however. Instead, with a nod to the bunnyverse, I'm taking a minimalist approach in terms of inclusion. I'm not putting on a straight-jacket and deciding everything outright. The rough super-structure will be included in the timeline, but if something isn't on the timeline "I can neither confirm nor deny its existence" until it shows up in a a character write-up or short story about this universe.

This was inspired by a desire to write some legacy oriented super-hero fiction, but I thought: it might be nice to run a game using it one day. However, with the legacy notion in play, its assumed that characters have normal life-cycles and don't constitute temporal exceptions. They will have aged with the timeline, and some will have retired. Who? Unknown unless its on the timeline or shows up in a story. The central theme will probably be "The New Fantastic Four" or just "The 4" [i have a general notion of the line-up].

To simplify and streamline this I've made the following decisions about editorial philosophy up front:

1. Limit the timeline: No references before "Year 1"; the timeline extends 25 years; characters tied into historical events are excluded unless they can be decoupled from said events.
  2. Discriminate: Only heroes go on the timeline; references to villians must be hero tie ins; rogues galleries fall into "I can neither confirm nor deny" land; villians: plumb when needed, avoid as hand-cuffs.
  3. Set a tone: exclude characters who don't hit the bronze age superhero tone; no fangs, gun-toting assassins, or slashy things; the punisher is right out - let that be a lesson to you.
  4. Exclude extraneous themes: boil it down to super-hero essentials; don't admit themes that don't jive with the overall verse; no X-Men mutant angst in a world where the fantastic four, superman, and many other heroes are embraced.
  5. Stick to essentials: only major characters or teams who have had their own titles; in terms of iconics only one gets in (aquaman or namor; green arrow or hawkeye; superman or thor; Avengers or JLA; hydra or cobra or asp); minor characters or teams, even if I love them remain in "I can neither confirm nor deny land" unless they show up in a story or character write up.
  6. Ignore comic book cosmology: Example, Galactus refers to his power as "the power cosmic," but what it really amounts to is "energy-matter manipulation" on a grand scale; ignore the celestials; ignore the monitors. I can tell "cosmic" storeis without them.
  7. Give DC cities real world equivalents: Metropolis = Manhattan, Gotham = Newark (though it really comes from Washington Irving's nickname for New York), Bludhaven = Trenton, etc.
  8. Limit events: most heroes have been out there so long that their history would not only make the timeline brutally intense, but would introduce continuity errors, and serve as a super-big straight-jacket; as such, leave all but the most essential storylines (character or world development ones) in "I can neither confirm nor deny" land

I also made one completely arbitrary decision based on personal preferences:

1. Shalom Aleichem, Getchka: Asgardian-Olympian-Roman Pantheon based heroes are out; I've never gotten into them; they don't really jive with the overall social milieu in super-hero comics; if a character is so inconic that they can't go we'll have to make some adjustments; I can only think of one: Wonder Woman. But then, she's easy to pin down that way: a race of reclusive superhuman women who continue to believe in the ancient greek pantheon live on paradise island.

That said, the to do list shapes up like this:

• Nail down who is essential and choose between iconics.
  • Identify DC Cities.
  • Nail down the 25 year timeline.
  • Build some characters.
  • Write some stories.

In terms of character builds I have the following guidelines (for myself):

1. Build to essential concept: that's concept, not corporate franchise; super-man needs to be the top end flying brick with the classic super-man powers - not silver age comic super-man with every oddball writers notion tacked onto the sheet.
  2. Build to be playable: they have to hit their concptual niche within the world they are operating in and be playable [at least in a basic sense] without being mary-sue shtick interloping dirt-bags; they will not be built to best ever comic book performance (which are often exceptions to the overall concept) - I'm building superman as the overall toughest brick (and one with a broad array of powers), but not the best at everthing.

Re: Essentials Universe (Amalgam)

Essentials List: First Draft

Note: there will only be two drafts. This one and the final one. I'm a tinkerer. If I don't set strong limits I'll never get past the first step.

Solo Characters:

1. Superman
  2. Wonder Woman
  3. Batman
  4. Nightwing (Robin I)
  5. Oracle (Batgirl I)
  6. The Question
  7. Green Arrow (Oliver Queen)
  8. Firestorm
  9. Spider Man
  10. Incredible Hulk
  11. Iron Man
  12. Dr. Strange
  13. Silver Surfer
  14. Daredevil

Teams:

1. The Fantastic Four (Original)
  2. The Inhumans
  3. The Titans (Probably Defunct; Might Have Had An Amalgam Roster)
  4. Birds of Prey (Concept Only; Might Have An Amalgam Roster)
  5. The Trinity/Trimvitate: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman
  6. The Avengers (Concept Only; Might Have An Amalgam Roster; Be US/UN)

Note: I went with The Trimvirate and Avengers instead of JLA as a compromise position: the JLA has always been about the “Big Five,” and two of them didn't make my list; and, the Avengers has more bronze age versimilitude than the JLA (which has a lot of silver age camp) and would work better with some sort of organizational sponsorship; in the event I include an organization to grant that kind of sponsorship; and could include the Trimvirate if need be.

Organizations:

1. SHIELD, but retconned as the equivalent of UNTIL.

Questions

Okay, that's my initial list, but I've got some questions for Herodom Assembled:

1. Is there anyone I left in “I can neither confirm nor deny land” you think should be considered “essential.” If so, who and why?
  2. Speedster Dude: I'm not a Wally fan, but not many speedsters have their own titles. Can I get aways with “I can neither confirm nor deny?”
  3. Underwater Dude: I'm parve on this iconic niche and have no opinion – so: Namor or Aquaman, which one and why? Can I get away with “I can neither confirm nor deny?”
  4. I'm wavering on SHIELD. What do you think?
  5. Something you've just got to get off your chest? Let me know! :thumbup:

I think Captain America has been a mainstay of the Avengers for a while that he might be good enough to use solo.

I can see some kind of Green Lantern being on the list, but you do have Silver Surfer and he is almost a GL in his own right.

You don't have any representation from the minor teams which could be used with Shield.

The only Shield entity in DC is Checkmate/Task Force X which has changed almost as much as Shield with less history behind it.

I don't have a preference about a underwater guy but Aquaman has always been more of a team guy than Namor, who started out battling the original Human Torch.

CES

Sounds pretty good! Projects like this are fun...and frustrating at times trying to get the right feel. ;)

I also made one completely arbitrary decision based on personal preferences:

1. Shalom Aleichem, Getchka: Asgardian-Olympian-Roman Pantheon based heroes are out; I've never gotten into them; they don't really jive with the overall social milieu in super-hero comics; if a character is so inconic that they can't go we'll have to make some adjustments; I can only think of one: Wonder Woman. But then, she's easy to pin down that way: a race of reclusive superhuman women who continue to believe in the ancient greek pantheon live on paradise island.

Fair enough. Could give the Amazons an origin like the Inhumans or Eternals and/or link the Amazons to the Eternals (who posed as Greek gods in the past).

Questions

Okay, that's my initial list, but I've got some questions for Herodom Assembled:

1. Is there anyone I left in “I can neither confirm nor deny land” you think should be considered “essential.” If so, who and why?
  2. Speedster Dude: I'm not a Wally fan, but not many speedsters have their own titles. Can I get aways with “I can neither confirm nor deny?”
  3. Underwater Dude: I'm parve on this iconic niche and have no opinion – so: Namor or Aquaman, which one and why? Can I get away with “I can neither confirm nor deny?”
  4. I'm wavering on SHIELD. What do you think?
  5. Something you've just got to get off your chest? Let me know! :thumbup:

1 & 2 : Do you plan on doing any Golden-Age background? Or just starting out with those on your active list? If do Golden Age, there's a place for (Alan Scott) Green Lantern and (Jay Garrick) Flash right there. Throw in Captain America and maybe the original Human Torch and you've got the core for a good JSA/Invaders type past group, and give nods to two of the other "big 5" by showcasing their predecessors.

3 : I think you could probably do fine without one. They both tend to get involved with Neptune/Poseidon a good bit too, which is a no-go here. If want to include one, I'd say go with Aquaman who has mutant powers that make him "King of the Sea" and ignore Atlantis itself. Alternatively, make Atlantis another of the hidden societies the Kree, etc. sprinkled around Earth. They're even blue! :)

4 : Don't yield - back SHIELD! I think a good-guy agent group is good to have around. Keep them limited to fighting guys like Hydra so they don't go into Newark and step on Batman's toes too much.

I think Captain America has been a mainstay of the Avengers for a while that he might be good enough to use solo.

I agree. My issues were that he is tied into WWII and I don't want to deal with backstory - and superman is pretty darned mom and apple pie American. He's a different archetype, of course, but they're pretty similiar. On the other hand, he could have been frozen in a block of ice as long as I want him to be. Until I work up the avengers founding line-up I'll leave it be and think about it.

I can see some kind of Green Lantern being on the list' date=' but you do have Silver Surfer and he is almost a GL in his own right.[/quote']

This was my thinking. Silver Surfer fits the cosmic niche pretty well.

If I were to include a green lantern it would probably be Guy Gardner. :eek:

The only Shield entity in DC is Checkmate/Task Force X which has changed almost as much as Shield with less history behind it.

I looked them up. Meh. The chess motiff is alright, but overall they aren't what I'm looking for. I think I'll go with a revamped version of SHIELD.

I don't have a preference about a underwater guy but Aquaman has always been more of a team guy than Namor, who started out battling the original Human Torch.

CES

I'm leaning towards Aquaman or none at all.

Fair enough. Could give the Amazons an origin like the Inhumans or Eternals and/or link the Amazons to the Eternals (who posed as Greek gods in the past).

I was considering having them be aliens of some sort who had been here for a very long time, so a connection to either group in the Wonder Woman write up could work.

1 & 2 : Do you plan on doing any Golden-Age background? Or just starting out with those on your active list? If do Golden Age' date=' there's a place for (Alan Scott) Green Lantern and (Jay Garrick) Flash right there. Throw in Captain America and maybe the original Human Torch and you've got the core for a good JSA/Invaders type past group, and give nods to two of the other "big 5" by showcasing their predecessors.[/quote']

The truth is, I don't want to work out a whole-cloth background covering the past 62+ years of super-hero history (or more). Its traditional, but I want to break with it and push forward. Let the stories, or gaming sessions, define it for themselves. I could have Cap and include a reference to a team with a roster similiar to the one you mention, which would be a nice nod, and then not comment on anything in between. I'll think about it. I'm giving myself an 8PM deadline to have this step done (my time).

3 : I think you could probably do fine without one. They both tend to get involved with Neptune/Poseidon a good bit too, which is a no-go here. If want to include one, I'd say go with Aquaman who has mutant powers that make him "King of the Sea" and ignore Atlantis itself. Alternatively, make Atlantis another of the hidden societies the Kree, etc. sprinkled around Earth. They're even blue! :)

Atlantis, the ruins of an ancient alien settlement, perhaps related to the amazons in some way, and filled with psychic orbs that pass on power and knowledge to those who touch them.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

4 : Don't yield - back SHIELD! I think a good-guy agent group is good to have around. Keep them limited to fighting guys like Hydra so they don't go into Newark and step on Batman's toes too much.

I think I'll retcon SHIELD as a UN Team and have them up against HYDRA (which lets me work in Lady Hydra).

Of course, I could call their special operations group the Justice Oversight and Enforcement Team.

And have the leader of the enemy be a former used car salesman.... :help:

Essentials List - FINAL

Solo Characters:

• Superman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Batman
  • Nightwing
  • The Question
  • Green Arrow
  • Aquaman
  • Spider Man
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Iron Man
  • Dr. Strange
  • Silver Surfer
  • Daredevil

Teams:

Note: I decided this was the first place "changes" should occur. Namely, rosters and giving a rudimentary idea of history and relationships.

• Avengers: (Founders) Captain America, Iron Man, Ant Man, Wasp, and “The Trinity” members – membership is historically fluid; Cap is the leader and mainstay; the Trinity are basically reservists – not active or frequent members.
  • The Trinity: Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman.
  • Fantastic Four: Original 4
  • Inhumans: Mostly the Royals
  • The Titans: (defunct) Bobby Drake, Impulse, Katherine Pryde, Robin I, Rogue, Starfire, Warren Worthington III.
  • Birds of Prey: (core) Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress; (recurring) Black Widow, Cassandra Kane (Batgirl III), Power Girl, Sandra Wu San, Mystique, Cat Woman, Black Cat.

Organizations:

1. SHIELD, but retconned as a UN team. Their special operations group is the Joint Oversight & Enforcement Team ( :D ).
  2. HYDRA.

Final Word

Okay, I'm not going to revisit this until I've finished identifying the cities, and working up the timeline. If, however, you have an opinion on my previously asked questions, don't hesitate to say something.

CITY IDENTIFICATION

Placing DC Cities:

Alright, DC has always had pure-silver city names and varied placement of them over the years; it was once stated that Metropolis is Manhattan on a bright summer day and Gotham was the Lower East Side on the darkest, coldest November night, but simply put – they're different cities entirely. Also, Marvel almost always uses real cities (but sometimes fake countries) so I have to fit the two together. As such, I've decided I'm going to assign real world city's to the relevant DC cities and use their real world names. The exception is Gotham. I'll assign a real world city for it, but continue to use “Gotham.” Metropolis is extremely tied into New York conceptually, but I already have Marvel New York. Whatever city has superman probably doesn't need two major super-teams and no fewer than three headlining other hereos. As such, I gave Superman Boston.

DC City Equivalents:

• Metropolis: Boston.
  • Gotham: Newark.
  • Hub City: Philly.
  • Star City: San Francisco.
  • Bludhaven: Atlantic City.

Assigned Bases of Operation:

• Superman: Boston; Fortress of Solitude (Antarctica).
  • Wonder Woman: Baltimore-DC; Paradise Island (Pacific).
  • Batman: Newark – Gotham.
  • Nightwing: Atlantic City.
  • Oracle: Jersey City.
  • The Question: Philadelphia.
  • Green Arrow: San Francisco.
  • Aquaman: San Diego.
  • Spider Man: New York.
  • Incredible Hulk: Itinerant.
  • Iron Man: Norfolk.
  • Dr. Strange: New York.
  • Daredevil: New York.

• Fantastic Four: Manhattan.
  • Inhumans: Uranus
  • Birds of Prey: Jersey City, Elsewhere.
  • The Trinity: None.
  • The Avengers: Manhattan.

• SHIELD: Headquarters – Geneva (Main), New York, Mobile Sky-Carrier.
  • HYDRA: Various and many.

NEXT UP: an initial timeline with feedback requests....

Essential Timeline- First Draft

I'm going to leave this up for comment until Sunday - and then finalize it.

Note: The timeline is intended to be bare-bones in that what and who is on it are etched in stone, but somethings absense does not necessarily exclude its existance. In terms of team rosters, the rosters indicate the identities of the founding members and does not exclude the [likely] potential for roster changes over a teams life-span. Also, I did include some characters who appeared in the X-Men comics, mostly original team members or new mutants who could be edited to fit into various manifestations of the Teen Titans incranations (created by the mutagenic gas event).

Year 1: 24 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Superman. Clark Kent emerges as Superman in Boston; lands a job at the daily planet; has his first confrontation with mastermind Lex Luthor.
  2. First Appearance: Batman. Bruce Wayne embarks on his career as Batman in Gotham City; Selina Kyle is inspired to become Catwoman; Joker appears shortly thereafter.
  3. First Appearance: Wonder Woman. Diana Prince arrives in the United States as an emissary of Paradise Island; after several exploits the media dubs her Wonder Woman.
  4. First Appearance: Fantastic Four. Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm and Ben Grim develop fantastic powers after being bombarded by cosmic rays during the maiden flight of an experimental private space plane; they use their new found powers to foil a plot by Victor Von Doom.

Year 2: 23 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: The Question. Vic Sage begins his career as The Question in Philadelphia.
  2. First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk. After being bombarded by gamma radiation Dr. Bruce Wayne is transformed into the rampaging Hulk; Gen. Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross is ordered to form the “Hulk Busters.”
  3. First Appearance: Dr. Strange. After years of mystical training, Dr. Stephen Strange becomes Earth's Sorcerer Supreme.
  4. First Appearance: Iron Man. Tony Stark creates his first suit of Iron Man Armor at the Stark Industries Complex in Norfolk, Virginia.

Year 3: 22 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Robin. Dick Grayson, aged 12, becomes the first Robin; helps stop the Hangman killings, take down Two-Face, and is briefly fired by Batman.
  2. First Appearance: Daredevil. After an accident that leaves him blind but hones his other sense, Matt Murdock becomes Daredevil, the Man Without Fear.
  3. First Appearance: Green Arrow. Billionaire Oliver Queen and former mayor of San Francisco embarks on his career as the Green Arrow in San Francisco after returning from being stranded on a remote island.
  4. First Appearance: The Inhumans. The Inhumans compound is found in the remote Himalayas by the Avengers; their existence remains a secret to all but a few heroes, including the Fantastic Four, for years to come.

Year 4: 21 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Aquaman. After studying the secrets of the ruins of the ancient Kree civilization Atlantis, Arthur Curry emerges from the waves as Aquaman!
  2. Event: SHIELD. The United Nations Security Council expands the SHIELD mandate, initially limited to confronting HYRDRA, to include superhuman affairs.
  3. Event: The Incredible Hulk Attempts To Destroy The Earth. The Hulk, wanting to be left alone, gains control of an alien spacecraft and attempts to destroy the Earth.

Year 5: 20 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Spider-Man. After being bitten by a radioactive spider, Peter Parker, age 17, embarks on his career as the Amazing Spider Man!
  2. First Appearance: Silver Surfer. Galactus and his Herald, Silver Surfer, arrive to destroy the Earth, but the Surfer rebels and is accepted by the people of Earth as a hero. Galactus punishes him by making it impossible for him to leave Earth's atmosphere.

Year 6: 19 Years Ago.

1. First Appearance: Avengers. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Ant Man, and the Wasp band together to stop an invasion of the Earth by the Wardlords of Appellax.
  2. First Appearance: Batgirl. Barbara Gordon, aged 15, becomes Batgirl.
  3. Event: A cannister of mutagenic gas is released in Manhattan by a renegade Inhuman; many people developing various health problems and genetic defects, but in some it causes amazing powers!

Year 7: 18 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Teen Titans. Angel, Ice Man, Impulse, Hank McCoy, Jean Grey, Robin, and Starfire form the Teen Titans.
  2. First Appearance: Captain America. Ant Man and Wasp of the Avengers find Captain America of the WWII JSA frozen in suspended animation and revive him; he becomes a permanent member of the Avengers.

Year 8: 17 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Nightwing. Dick Grayson, age 18, is “fired” as Robin by Batman and makes his debut as Nightwing.
  2. First Appearance: Robin II. Jason Todd, age 14, takes up the mantle of Robin. He is killed later that year by the Joker.
  3. First Appearance: Captain Marvel. The Kree Empire sends Captain Marvel to spy on the Earth, but he comes to empathize with humanity and is accepted by them as a hero. Shortly thereafter, the Avengers and Inhumans become involved in the millennial-old Kree-Skrull-Shiar War.

Year 9: 16 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Robin III. Tim Drake, aged 13, dons the mantle of Robin.
  2. Event: Death of Gwen Stacy. Gwen Stacy is killed during a battle between Spider Man and Green Goblin when Spider Man proves unable to save her.

Year 10: 15 Years Ago

1. Event: Batgirl crippled by Joker. Opening the door of her father's home, Barbara Gordon, age 20, is paralyzed when the Joker shoots her and the bullet damages her spinal column.
  2. Event: The Teen Titans Disband.

Year 11: 14 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Black Widow. SHIELD operative Natasha Romanov joins forces with Daredevil to track down a super-villain in New York; she uncovers his identity, but refuses to betray him to her superiors; she is dismissed – they become lovers and partners; their adventures are legion.
  2. Event: Death of Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel falls the “The Black End,” the Kree equivalent of cancer.

Year 12: 13 Years Ago

1. Event: They Are Among Us. The existence of the Inhumans becomes known to the public, as do links between them, the Amazons of Paradise Island, and the ruins of ancient Atlantis – all former Kree colonies.
  2. Event: Reed Richards assists the Silver Surfer in finding a way to leave Earth's atmosphere.

Year 13: 12 Years Ago

1. Event: Longbow Hunters. Oliver Queen, having lost his millions and become disillusioned with San Francisco and his super-hero life, moves to Seattle where he becomes a down and dirty street level crime-fighter and champion of the common man.

Year 14: 11 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Power Girl. Kara Zor El comes to Earth. Superman attempts to help her integrate, but personality conflict makes it difficult. She embarks on her career as Power Girl.

Year 15: 10 Years Ago.

1. Event: Oliver Queen returns to more traditional superhero work, moves to New York, and rejoins the ad hoc Avengers.

Year 16: 9 Years Ago.

1. Event: Oliver Queen is left in a deep coma after sacrificing himself to stop the detonation of a bomb that would have destroyed Manhattan.
  2. Event: The Avengers Disbanded. After refusing to cooperate with the US Department of Metahuman Affairs in its Metahuman Registration efforts, the Avengers lose their charter and are disbanded; the team continues to reunite for action on an informal, ad hoc basis.

Year 17: 8 Years Ago.

1. First Appearance: Birds of Prey. Barbara Gordon becomes the mysterious crime fighter Oracle. Confined to a wheel-chair, she provides mind behind the moves, while Power Girl provides the muscle. The partnership is brief and ends badly; Dinah Lance, the Black Canary, replaces Power Girl.
  2. Event: Black Widow and Daredevil part company; she later renews her association with SHIELD.

Year 18: 7 Years Ago.

1. First Appearance: New Teen Titans. Cannonball, Colossus, Katherine Pryde, Rogue, and the current Robin form the New Teen Titans under the stern tutelage of Doctors Hank McCoy and Jean Grey.
  2. Event: Nightwing settles in Atlantic City and begins his one-man war to clean up the town and bring down the crime lord Blockbuster.
  3. Event: Kraven's Last Hunt. Kraven leaves Spider Man for dead and dons his mantle to prove he is the better man; Spider Man returns, and feeling he succeeded, Kraven commits suicide.

Year 19: 6 Years Ago

1. Event: Of Like Minds. Oracle recruits Huntress to stand in for Black Canary after she is wounded in an ambush; Huntress eventually becomes a permanent member of the team.
  2. Event: Attorney Matt Murdock convinces the US Supreme Court to overturn Metahuman Registration; registration becomes voluntary and incentive driven.

Year 20: 5 Years Ago

1. Event: Perfect Pitch. After the Punisher is killed in a battle to save Oracle's life, Black Canary departs the Birds of Prey; Huntress becomes field leader; other operatives are recruited as necessary.
  2. Event: Fantastic Four disbands. After twenty years of heroic exploits, Reed Richards, Sue Storm Richards, and Ben Grim retire. The Human Torch becomes associated with SHIELD.

Year 21: 4 Years Ago

1. Event: Quake. Gotham is devastated in an Earthquake. The damage is severe enough that the government evacuates the city; Batman, with the help of Nightwing and the Birds of Prey, fights to maintain control over the abandoned city until the authorities return to restore order.
  2. Event: God Save The King? Victor Von Doom disappears; Latveria comes under the rulership of a consortium of scheming nobles.

Year 22: 3 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: The Titans. With his war on corruption winding down, and Blockbuster mysteriously murdered, Nightwing travels to New York where he reunites with several of his former compatriots on the Teen Titans to form a new – adult – superhero team.
  2. Event: Reconstruction efforts begin in Gotham; Wayne Manor and Batcave Central are rebuilt.

Year 23: 2 Years Ago

1. Event: New Teen Titans disband. The last of the New Teen Titans are either absorbed into the Titans, or go their own way.

Year 24: 1 Year Ago

1. Event: Avengers International. The Avengers are recreated as a semi-autonomous United Nations team operating under the SHIELD mandate.

Year 25: Our Stories Begin.

QUESTIONS?

COMMENTS?

I AWAIT WITH BAITED BREATH!

Guest Major Tom

The campaign that I'm currently in is something like what's been presented

here, in that there are elements and individuals from both the DC and Marvel

Universes. So far, the ones who Powerstar (my character) has met are Dr.

Strange and Captain Marvel (the "Big Red Cheese"); others that have been

mentioned (but not yet met) are the Black Widow, Hawkman, Hercules (the

MU one, not the DC one), and Thor. In addition, those who are known in the

Marvel Universe as the X-Men are, with some exception, also present in this

universe; however, Professor X doesn't exist. His place in this universe is

occupied by Emma Frost (who is fortunately one of the good guys here).

As far as the existence of other major heroes is concerned, none of the other

"heavy hitters" -- Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman -- are currently

present in this universe, due to the machinations of an as-yet unrevealed

evil mastermind.

Major Tom :cool:

[*]First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk. After being bombarded by gamma radiation Dr. Bruce Wayne is transformed into the rampaging Hulk; Gen. Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross is ordered to form the “Hulk Busters.”

Is Dr. Wayne Batman's brother, or did you mean Bruce Banner?

1. First Appearance: Superman. Clark Kent emerges as Superman in Boston; lands a job at the daily planet; has his first confrontation with mastermind Lex Luthor.

I always thought that Chicago would make a good Metropolis stand-in. Not coastal, but that's not too important for Supes, and links him further to the Midwest.

1. First Appearance: Daredevil. After an accident that leaves him blind but hones his other sense, Matt Murdock becomes Daredevil, the Man Without Fear.

So he had the accident as an adult instead of as a child?

1. Event: The Incredible Hulk Attempts To Destroy The Earth. The Hulk, wanting to be left alone, gains control of an alien spacecraft and attempts to destroy the Earth.

I always felt that the Hulk worked better as a threat & character in the background rather than as a protagonist. :thumbup:

1. First Appearance: Avengers. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Ant Man, and the Wasp band together to stop an invasion of the Earth by the Wardlords of Appellax.

Poor Ant-Man. Finally gets out from under the shadow of Thor, only to get Superman instead. "Oh, that's nice...Kryptonians have been talking to ants for hundreds of years..."

1. First Appearance: Teen Titans. Angel, Ice Man, Impulse, Hank McCoy, Jean Grey, Robin, and Starfire form the Teen Titans.

Origins of many linked to the Inhuman gas instead of being mutants?

1. Reed Richards, Sue Storm Richards, and Ben Grim retire. The Human Torch becomes associated with SHIELD.

1. Event: God Save The King? Victor Von Doom disappears; Latveria comes under the rulership of a consortium of scheming nobles.

Any reason these don't occur in the reverse order? With Doom gone, the FF feel OK to retire?

Is Dr. Wayne Batman's brother' date=' or did you mean Bruce Banner?[/quote']

What he said, good catch!

I always thought that Chicago would make a good Metropolis stand-in. Not coastal, but that's not too important for Supes, and links him further to the Midwest.

And its bigger. Let me ruminate on it. I intend to have a final version of this step today.

So he had the accident as an adult instead of as a child?

Good catch. I started reading Daredevil with the advent of the Frank Miller era. His background was already 100+ issues in the past. I must have had a brain-slip and thought about the movie.

I always felt that the Hulk worked better as a threat & character in the background rather than as a protagonist. :thumbup:

Me too.

Poor Ant-Man. Finally gets out from under the shadow of Thor' date=' only to get Superman instead. [i']"Oh, that's nice...Kryptonians have been talking to ants for hundreds of years..."[/i]

Mwahahahaha!!!

That universal translator on Supes' character sheet (I finished that build) should cover that! :D

Origins of many linked to the Inhuman gas instead of being mutants?

This was my general origin story caveat for characters from the X-Titles who might be included in the world-game as time progresses. Just born different is really an X-Verse trope. In terms of DC and *most* other marvel stories "mutant" doesn't fit.

Any reason these don't occur in the reverse order? With Doom gone' date=' the FF feel OK to retire?[/quote']

Without engineering an explanation, which runs counter to the bare-bones philosophy I've adopted - it probably makes more sense if the chronology follows what you suggest/ask.

His place in this universe is

occupied by Emma Frost (who is fortunately one of the good guys here).

Major Tom :cool:

Fortunate, indeed! :D

My initial draft included a reference to the hellfire club and hellions, but I decided that would be left under "I cannot confirm nor deny."

Essential Timeline- FINAL

Next up - some builds - though I won't be posting them until I download hero-designer.

Note: The timeline is intended to be bare-bones in that what and who is on it are etched in stone, but the absence of a given thing does not necessarily exclude its existence. In terms of team rosters, the rosters indicate the identities of the founding members and does not exlude the [likely] potential for most changes over a team's life-span. The inclusion of various characters from the x-verse is under the overall origin "Inhumans' terragenic mutagenic gas," as "just born that way" doesn't fit the DC Universe or *most* non-x-verse marvel titles very well.

1. First Appearance: Superman. Clark Kent emerges as Superman in Chicago; lands a job at the daily planet; has his first confrontation with mastermind Lex Luthor.
  2. First Appearance: Batman. Bruce Wayne embarks on his career as Batman in Gotham City; Selina Kyle is inspired to become Catwoman; Joker appears shortly thereafter.
  3. First Appearance: Wonder Woman. Diana Prince arrives in the United States as an emissary of Paradise Island; after several exploits the media dubs her Wonder Woman.
  4. First Appearance: Fantastic Four. Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm and Ben Grim develop fantastic powers after being bombarded by cosmic rays during the maiden flight of an experimental private space plane; they use their new found powers to foil a plot by Victor Von Doom.

Year 2: 23 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: The Question. Vic Sage begins his career as The Question in Philadelphia.
  2. First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk. After being bombarded by gamma radiation Dr. Bruce Banner is transformed into the rampaging Hulk; Gen. Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross is ordered to form the “Hulk Busters.”
  3. First Appearance: Dr. Strange. After years of mystical training, Dr. Stephen Strange becomes Earth's Sorcerer Supreme.
  4. First Appearance: Iron Man. Tony Stark creates his first suit of Iron Man Armor at the Stark Industries Complex in Norfolk, Virginia.

Year 3: 22 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Robin. Dick Grayson, aged 12, becomes the first Robin; helps stop the Hangman killings, take down Two-Face, and is briefly fired by Batman.
  2. First Appearance: Daredevil. After a childhood accident that left him blind but hones his other sense, Matt Murdock - now an adult - becomes Daredevil, the Man Without Fear.
  3. First Appearance: Green Arrow. Billionaire Oliver Queen and former mayor of San Francisco embarks on his career as the Green Arrow in San Francisco after returning from being stranded on a remote island.
  4. First Appearance: The Inhumans. The Inhumans compound is found in the remote Himalayas by the Avengers; their existence remains a secret to all but handful of heroes, for years to come.

Year 4: 21 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Aquaman. After studying the secrets of the ruins of the ancient Kree civilization Atlantis, Arthur Curry emerges from the waves as Aquaman!
  2. Event: SHIELD. The United Nations Security Council expands the SHIELD mandate, initially limited to confronting HYRDRA, to include superhuman affairs.
  3. Event: The Incredible Hulk Attempts To Destroy The Earth. The Hulk, wanting to be left alone, gains control of an alien spacecraft and attempts to destroy the Earth.

Year 5: 20 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Spider-Man. After being bitten by a radioactive spider, Peter Parker, age 17, embarks on his career as the Amazing Spider Man!
  2. First Appearance: Silver Surfer. Galactus and his Herald, Silver Surfer, arrive to destroy the Earth, but the Surfer rebels and is accepted by the people of Earth as a hero. Galactus punishes him by making it impossible for him to leave Earth's atmosphere.

2. First Appearance: Batgirl. Barbara Gordon, aged 15, becomes Batgirl.
  3. Event: A cannister of terragen [mutagenic] gas is released in Manhattan by a renegade Inhuman; many people developing various health problems and genetic defects, but in some it causes amazing powers!

Year 7: 18 Years Ago

2. First Appearance: Captain America. Ant Man and Wasp of the Avengers find Captain America of the WWII JSA frozen in suspended animation and revive him; he becomes a permanent member of the Avengers.

Year 8: 17 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Nightwing. Dick Grayson, age 18, is “fired” as Robin by Batman and makes his debut as Nightwing.
  2. First Appearance: Robin II. Jason Todd, age 14, takes up the mantle of Robin. He is killed later that year by the Joker.
  3. First Appearance: Captain Marvel. The Kree Empire sends Captain Marvel to spy on the Earth, but he comes to empathize with humanity and is accepted by them as a hero. Shortly thereafter, the Avengers and Inhumans become involved in the millennial-old Kree-Skrull-Shiar War.

Year 9: 16 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Robin III. Tim Drake, aged 13, dons the mantle of Robin.
  2. Event: Death of Gwen Stacy. Gwen Stacy is killed during a battle between Spider Man and Green Goblin when Spider Man proves unable to save her.

Year 10: 15 Years Ago

1. Event: The killing joke. Opening the door of her father's home, Barbara Gordon, age 20, is paralyzed when the Joker shoots her and the bullet damages her spinal column.
  2. Event: The Teen Titans Disband.

Year 11: 14 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Black Widow. SHIELD operative Natasha Romanov joins forces with Daredevil to track down a super-villain in New York; she uncovers his identity, but refuses to betray him to her superiors; she is dismissed – they become lovers and partners; their adventures are legion.
  2. Event: Death of Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel falls the “The Black End,” the Kree equivalent of cancer.

Year 12: 13 Years Ago

1. Event: They Are Among Us. The existence of the Inhumans becomes known to the public, as do links between them, the Amazons of Paradise Island, and the ruins of ancient Atlantis. Atlantis a former kree colony, the Inhumans and Paradise Island, kree breeding projects.
  2. Event: Reed Richards assists the Silver Surfer in finding a way to leave Earth's atmosphere.

Year 13: 12 Years Ago

1. Event: Longbow Hunters. Oliver Queen, having lost his millions and become disillusioned with San Francisco and his super-hero life, moves to Seattle where he becomes a down and dirty street level crime-fighter and champion of the common man.

Year 14: 11 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: Power Girl. Kara Zor El comes to Earth. Superman attempts to help her integrate, but personality conflict makes it difficult. She embarks on her career as Power Girl.

Year 15: 10 Years Ago.

1. Event: Oliver Queen returns to more traditional superhero work, moves to New York, and rejoins the ad hoc Avengers.

Year 16: 9 Years Ago.

1. Event: Oliver Queen is left in a deep coma after sacrificing himself to stop the detonation of a bomb that would have destroyed Manhattan.
  2. Event: The Avengers Disbanded. After refusing to cooperate with the US Department of Metahuman Affairs in its Metahuman Registration efforts, the Avengers lose their charter and are disbanded; the team continues to reunite for action on an informal, ad hoc basis.

Year 17: 8 Years Ago.

1. First Appearance: Birds of Prey. Barbara Gordon becomes the mysterious crime fighter Oracle. Confined to a wheel-chair, she provides mind behind the moves, while Power Girl provides the muscle. The partnership is brief and ends badly; Dinah Lance, the Black Canary, replaces Power Girl.
  2. Event: Black Widow and Daredevil part company; she later renews her association with SHIELD.

Year 18: 7 Years Ago.

1. First Appearance: New Teen Titans. Cannonball, Colossus, Katherine Pryde, Rogue, and the current Robin form the New Teen Titans under the stern tutelage of Doctors Hank McCoy and Jean Grey.
  2. Event: Nightwing settles in Atlantic City and begins his one-man war to clean up the town and bring down the crime lord Blockbuster.
  3. Event: Kraven's Last Hunt. Kraven leaves Spider Man for dead and dons his mantle to prove he is the better man; Spider Man returns, and feeling he succeeded, Kraven commits suicide.

Year 19: 6 Years Ago

1. Event: Of Like Minds. Oracle recruits Huntress to stand in for Black Canary after she is wounded in an ambush; Huntress eventually becomes a permanent member of the team.
  2. Event: Attorney Matt Murdock convinces the US Supreme Court to overturn Metahuman Registration; registration becomes voluntary and incentive driven.

Year 20: 5 Years Ago

1. Event: Perfect Pitch. After the Punisher is killed in a battle to save Oracle's life, Black Canary departs the Birds of Prey; Huntress becomes field leader; other operatives are recruited as necessary.
  2. Event:God Save The King? Victor Von Doom disappears; Latveria comes under the rulership of a consortium of scheming nobles.

Year 21: 4 Years Ago

1. Event: Quake. Gotham is devastated in an Earthquake. The damage is severe enough that the government evacuates the city; Batman, with the help of Nightwing and the Birds of Prey, fights to maintain control over the abandoned city until the authorities return to restore order.
  2. Event:
    Fantastic Four disbands. After twenty years of heroic exploits, Reed Richards, Sue Storm Richards, and Ben Grim retire. The Human Torch becomes associated with SHIELD.

Year 22: 3 Years Ago

1. First Appearance: The Titans. With his war on corruption winding down, and Blockbuster mysteriously murdered, Nightwing travels to New York where he reunites with several of his former compatriots on the Teen Titans to form a new – adult – superhero team.
  2. Event: Reconstruction efforts begin in Gotham; Wayne Manor and Batcave Central are rebuilt.

Year 23: 2 Years Ago

1. Event: New Teen Titans disband. The last of the New Teen Titans are either absorbed into the Titans, or go their own way.

Year 24: 1 Year Ago

1. Event: Avengers International. The Avengers are recreated as a semi-autonomous United Nations team operating under the SHIELD mandate.

Year 25: Our Stories Begin.