TOO much success

And no, I'm not talking about a player making an awesome to-hit and/or damage roll on a head-butt and getting his face lodged in his enemy's shattered skull, drowning slowly in the cerebral fluids.

I was reading Fair Blows the Wind by Louis L'amour today, and there's a part in the story where the main character writes a play exposing the thievery and extortion of the main enemy. Rather than creating a public outrage and a call for the racketeer's head, as was the main character's intention, other thieves, fences, and extortioners came to believe that the enemy guy was more powerful than he really was, and rather than fight him, they wanted to join up with him.

Being a gamer, I started thinking of ways to do this sort of thing in-game, but in a way that is interesting for the players rather than infuriating.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe the best way would be to use this sort of thing as a failure result rather than a super-success.

Any comments?

Re: TOO much success

I think you should call it failure. In the example you cite, the message he was trying to convey was lost. Any writer I know would call that a failure.

Going beyond the example, though, as a player, I'd deeply resent finally having made a good roll, only to have it blow up in my face. My dice are rarely kind (unless I'm GMing), so it's galling enough when I roll a 3 to activate a power, or something, and it goes to waste.

So I think the "you succeed so well you fail epically" effect should be reserved for rolling 18's on skills one bought up high enough that it only fails on an 18.

Re: TOO much success

...as a player, I'd deeply resent finally having made a good roll, only to have it blow up in my face.

Yeah, as I typed that first post, I started thinking more about this.

There have been several GM horror stories posted around where a character makes a phenomenal roll in combat and the GM rules that they suffer horribly for it...usually ending up dying. That's where my head-butt image came from (not directly...exaggeration is fun).

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a not-too-important roll with an amusingly frustrating outcome (discrediting the enemy would have been nice for the character in the book, but like most L'amour protagonists, he knows he'll have to kill the guy some day). The more I think about it, though, it's still a failure. I guess with the right player you could turn a super-success into this kind of failure, but the player would have to have a good sense of humor and be in a good mood at the time, and the outcome would have to be amusing and not too much of a monkey wrench to the players' efforts in the main story.