A Comeliness for Every Sense Group

Everyone knows that Comeliness represents "the character's beauty or handsomeness". Or, to put it another way, how attractive the character is when detected by way of the Sight sense group.

This brings up the question: Why just sight?

Shouldn't there also be characteristics for:

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Hearing sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Smell/Taste sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Touch sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Mental sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Radio sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Unusual sense group?

Re: A Comeliness for Every Sense Group

I've never actually assumed COM was just sight based.

Attractiveness is really the whole package. I'd kind of assumed a person acting at full COM doesn't smell bad, feel bad, look bad, etc . . .

We had an AI in our Star Hero game comment on a characters heat signature a little while back, I kind of took it as part of her high COM.

Er, and there is no "Unusual Sense Group" in the sense that it's a group. Unusual is just where any Sense that isn't in the other group fits. You can't take any Sensory Power vs "The Unusual Group" in total.

I've never actually assumed COM was just sight based.

Attractiveness is really the whole package. I'd kind of assumed a person acting at full COM doesn't smell bad, feel bad, look bad, etc . . .

We had an AI in our Star Hero game comment on a characters heat signature a little while back, I kind of took it as part of her high COM.

Er, and there is no "Unusual Sense Group" in the sense that it's a group. Unusual is just where any Sense that isn't in the other group fits. You can't take any Sensory Power vs "The Unusual Group" in total.

All very true.

My post was intended as a joke, which obviously fell flat.

Apologies.

Actually you raised quite a logical point, all things considered.

Nonetheless, I too tend to assume that COM covers all senses. If you want your character to look like Matt Damon but talk like Gilbert Gottfried, just use a Distinctive Feature, or buy COM with a Limitation based on Senses.

Since Steve seems dead-set determined to give Comeliness the axe in 6e' date=' this is kind of a moot point. Though I agree with everyone that says COM covers more than just Sight Group.[/quote']

It's not quite a moot point. If you still wish to use Comeliness, Steve isn't going to come over, kick down your door and hold a gun on you or anything. But yes, I've always assumed Comeliness was overall aesthetic appeal. not just sight.

Actually you raised quite a logical point, all things considered.

Nonetheless, I too tend to assume that COM covers all senses. If you want your character to look like Matt Damon but talk like Gilbert Gottfried, just use a Distinctive Feature, or buy COM with a Limitation based on Senses.

Or Hunted: Everyone that can hear 14- :)

All very true.

My post was intended as a joke, which obviously fell flat.

Apologies.

Ah... smilies are your friend.

Since Steve seems dead-set determined to give Comeliness the axe in 6e' date=' this is kind of a moot point. Though I agree with everyone that says COM covers more than just Sight Group.[/quote']

Not quite the axe. Steve wants to make is a Talent instead of a Characteristic.

little scenario

Thank goodness I wore my radar-spex tonight, I had no clue Vivian was so hot!

_ _ _

and a thought

as if Comeliness wasnt cheap enough, now you can limitize it:

COM 38, but not to mystic senses (-1/2)

as if Comeliness wasnt cheap enough' date=' now you can limitize it:[/quote']

In fact Comeliness does seem to be overpriced for its effect in most campaigns.

COM 38' date=' but not to mystic senses (-1/2)[/quote']

I'd put that at -1/4 myself, which is generous for how much it would actually limit. Someone paying points for Comeliness is due some generosity.

High Comeliness for taste group is a disadvantage.

U has a flavr. - hunted tastyvores. large group, more powerful.

I have used a DF or physical limitation for a high comeliness to magical sense group.

"Magically Delicious"

In most campaigns? How do you figure that?

I used the word "seem" to indicate my personal impression from personal experience (Dandelions 20 Comeliness never had any discernible affect on the game) and reading the boards.

I used the word "seem" to indicate my personal impression from personal experience (Dandelions 20 Comeliness never had any discernible affect on the game) and reading the boards.
I was about to challenge this when I reread your original post -- for some reason I'd misread it as underpriced. And personally I think it isn't so much overpriced as underutilized.

Not the same IMO. If I wanted the GURPS approach' date=' I'd dig out all my old GURPS stuff and play that instead.[/quote']

I feel much the same way.

I know that. And unless the gun just happens to be loaded with holy water-filled silver hollowpoints' date=' the joke would be on him in that scenario anyway. :sneaky:[/quote']

Sorry, I guess that did sound more preachy than encouraging but I meant it to the latter

Guest steamteck

In fact Comeliness does seem to be overpriced for its effect in most campaigns.

I guess its good I'm not in most campaigns. it continues to boggle me I can read the same rules and for so many things , not just COM, get so much more utility than others.

Guest steamteck

Not the same IMO. If I wanted the GURPS approach' date=' I'd dig out all my old GURPS stuff and play that instead.[/quote']

exactly, approaches to stuff like that is actually what helped kill GURPs for my group.

well, Comeliness ties into practically Bupkis.

at least if you buy PRE, but have no Presence based skills,

you still have basic moxie.

its entirely up to the GM if good looks

matters in the game. so arguments thats it overpriced

may not have a good basis till you know the house rules...

===============================================

Loveli the Telepath:

36 EGO

21 COM

+35 COM, only to Mental Sense Group.

Everyone knows that Comeliness represents "the character's beauty or handsomeness". Or, to put it another way, how attractive the character is when detected by way of the Sight sense group.

This brings up the question: Why just sight?

Shouldn't there also be characteristics for:

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Hearing sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Smell/Taste sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Touch sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Mental sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Radio sense group?

How attractive the character is when detected by way of the Unusual sense group?

I also think that "attractiveness" doesn't really make sense for all sense groups. Does an attractive sound just add to PRE? How do you justify "attractive to Radio sense group"? I think making it apply separately to other sense groups just isn't worth it and would be unnecessarily complicated.