What would happen if Los Angeles County vanished?

Mark Rand

Re: What would happen if Los Angeles County vanished?

UCLA is gone. This is going to have a very profound effect on scientific and technological research world wide.

But, does that outweigh all the good from the situation.

I mean not having to listen to those celebrities talking about stuff they know nothing (though they seem to think they do :confused:). I mean no more of that, makes losing UCLA at least a wash. ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, does that outweigh all the good from the situation.

I mean not having to listen to those celebrities talking about stuff they know nothing (though they seem to think they do :confused:). I mean no more of that, makes losing UCLA at least a wash. ;)

Well, how about losing (just to name a few) USC, CalTech, Jet Propulsion Laboratories, Northrop Grumman, Art Center College of Design, The Brewery Art Colony, LACMA, the Getty (both of them), MOCA and the Geffen, the Huntington, Castaic Lake, the Tar Pits, Griffith Observatory, LAX and Burbank Airport, the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach (over a quarter of all container traffic entering the United States, fifth busiest in world), innumerable ethnic communities (some the largest outside their countries of origin), 10 million people (3% of of the US population, or an order of magnitude greater than what it lost in the Civil War), and the 17th largest economy in the world?

Wouldn't you rather take Orange County?

In a superheroic world, everbody effectively goes to DEFCON 2, particularly the Avengers and Justice League equivalents. Reed Richards and Co. check in on Doctor Doom and scan for traces of Galactus snacking between meals! The Guardians of Oa dispatch Lanterns to Apokalips and Sector 666! Dear God, where is Tony Stark!?! Batman reveals the Batcave West Disappearance Protocols! Cats and dogs, living together! Mass hysteria!

We're talking at least a 6 issue crossover.

Just before much of L.A. vanishes, I might have everyone in the world hear, in their native tongue, "The Circle of the Black Thorn was our method of preparing the way, in your puny reality, for our apocalyptic plans. Someone in Los Angeles infiltrated it, then he and his friends killed everyone in the group. In payment for his treachery, we are now sending most of Los Angeles to Quor-toth, the worst of the demon dimensions."

Just before much of L.A. vanishes' date=' I might have everyone in the world hear, in their native tongue, "The Circle of the Black Thorn was our method of preparing the way, in your puny reality, for our apocalyptic plans. Someone in Los Angeles infiltrated it, then he and his friends killed everyone in the group. In payment for his treachery, we are now sending most of Los Angeles to Quor-toth, the worst of the demon dimensions."[/quote']

So you're upgrading it? :D

No' date=' I mean you're upgrading the neighbors? :D[/quote']

The ones from L.A., or the demons that want to eat them?

As far as I know, the actual dimension L.A. was sent to wasn't mentioned, just its physical characteristics. I gave it the name Quor-toth because it sounded cool. In this dimension, the sun and moon are out at the same time, which makes Nina Ash, a werewolf, somewhat feral, and the implant that keeps Gwen Raiden from shocking people when she doesn't want to has failed.

I was going to say that any number of American Fundamentalist preachers will love it - God's wrath on the American Sodom, etc. I'm sure they'd blame the gays, who were also responsible for Hurricane Katrina. :stupid:

But in the Buffyverse, yeah, thing's would be a bit different. They'd just had that whole "the sun has been blacked out and vampires are crazy partying" period, and a goddess had basically mind controlled everyone in the world who so much as saw her on TV, and that whole Sunnydale thing... Apparently all the people busy keeping magic, demons, etc. a secret all these centuries pretty much just said screw it, in Joss's world. :)

UCLA is gone. This is going to have a very profound effect on scientific and technological research world wide.

You are over estimating UCLA or for that matter the disappearance of any one university would have little long term impact on science and tech.

BUT, the disappearance of certain scientists may change the course of history..........

I was going to say that any number of American Fundamentalist preachers will love it - God's wrath on the American Sodom, etc. I'm sure they'd blame the gays, who were also responsible for Hurricane Katrina. :stupid:

But in the Buffyverse, yeah, thing's would be a bit different. They'd just had that whole "the sun has been blacked out and vampires are crazy partying" period, and a goddess had basically mind controlled everyone in the world who so much as saw her on TV, and that whole Sunnydale thing... Apparently all the people busy keeping magic, demons, etc. a secret all these centuries pretty much just said screw it, in Joss's world. :)

Part and parcel of Joss's world is the fact that people tend to believe rational explanations over supernatural ones.

Sunnydale's disappearance can be easily explained away by a giant sinkhole. The sun being blacked out in L.A. can be explained away by an extra thick layer of smog. Jasmine had so much control over the populace that they just assume she left.