World of HEROCraft?

Hermit

Re: World of HEROCraft?

Well you can model levels of a sort, I do it this way for my Fantasy Hero game. Rather than giving experience at the end of each adventure or session, I hold off and give people experience in a block. I've found that players not only respond better but have a clearer idea what to do with their xps if they get a bunch at once rather than a trickle constantly.

Thus, the characters get "levels" of a sort, surges of training, and feel like they've achieved something for their character that they worked toward.

In terms of Herocraft, you could give people levels of this type; with x xps every few adventures that they can spend on their class abilities.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've run the d20 game quite a bit. The system is actually a pretty good fit if you want to emulate a WoW-like experience. However, after a few sessions, I decided that's exactly what I did not want to do.

People's minds just got stuck in the MMO and it was impossible to make the world feel like it should for an tabletop RPG.

One of the main problems was scaling the world. It proved impossible for my players to think of the worlds in terms of proper scale.

Me: "Okay, you're just arrived in Menethil Harbor. What do you do?"

Player: "I go to the tavern!"

Me: "Which one? What kind of tavern are you looking for?"

Player: "There's only one Tavern in Menethil."

I've tried several things such as piling on a bit more flavor text to constantly remind people that the world isn't on a tiny WoW scale, but this ultimately proved a futile effort.

As for running it in HERO, I think if the above problem could somehow be remedied, it would be a blast.

Classes exist in WoW, there is no reason they have to exist in the setting, and Fantasy HERO seems like a really fun way to go.

I've actually had some thoughts on doing this, and built a few characters for such a game. I don't have the files anymore, or I would share :(

I converted the races (stats, skills, racial powers) from the WoW RPG as templates, but not the classes. For powers, I actually looked at the video game for some inspiration- not a true conversion, mind, but just to get some ideas, snagging appropriate abilities and building a similar power, then adding some of my own ideas for what would be appropriate for the character.

WoW is really, really high powered, both in RPG and video game form, and I built the characters with near "superhero" point values (150/100), but used the system in Heroic mode with killershrike's (Real Cost * Active Points) * 5 == value in cp metric for equipment costs.

Were I to run this, I would want to have players have lots of abilities to choose from, for a nice, tacitcal feel, without them all sinking as many points as they can into one "iwin" power. I haven't quite hammered down how I would do that, but I'm thinking along the lines of limiting how many powers players can have by active point tier.

For example, no player may have a power over 60AP, they may have up to 3 powers 45-60, 4 powers 30-35, something like that. And the number of powers available in each AP tier would go up as certain xp benchmarks are met. Furthermore, NCM would also be used to keep players from going crazy on stats, and force more diversity.

I'm big into that, that's why I ask my players in HERO games to spend around 15-30% of their points on diversifying their characters to be useful in multiple situations.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on what I think would make a fun Warcraft game :thumbup:

I've run the d20 game quite a bit. The system is actually a pretty good fit if you want to emulate a WoW-like experience. However' date=' after a few sessions, I decided that's exactly what I [i']did not[/i] want to do.

People's minds just got stuck in the MMO and it was impossible to make the world feel like it should for an tabletop RPG.

One of the main problems was scaling the world. It proved impossible for my players to think of the worlds in terms of proper scale.

Me: "Okay, you're just arrived in Menethil Harbor. What do you do?"

Player: "I go to the tavern!"

Me: "Which one? What kind of tavern are you looking for?"

Player: "There's only one Tavern in Menethil."

Huh, I admit, I hadn't considered that problem as a possibility before you mentioned it. My group is a group of friends who've gamed with me for... my goodness, for over a decade now, and I don't think it would occur, but it's worth noting. Thanks.

At this point, I'm thinking scrapping 'levels' as anything but suggestions or rough estimates would be the way to go. AP caps at most.

The other problem is that you can't have realistic distances because it'd take forever to get anywhere, so you have to keep in mind while playing an MMO that what you see is only a representation of a lot more than what you see. In game the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalmidor are only around 6-7km from top to bottom, obviously that's not realistic for land masses known as continents with fully fledged ecosystems with the variety (and population) that exists in WoW, it's just a stand in. Same thing with time, as long as you never go back to old areas time moves forward and thus so does the plot, but if you pay too close attention in a major city, or even go back to a starter area, then you're in a time loop you just have to ignore.

I play MMOs, specifically WoW, but I highly prefer PnP RPGs especially for this reason.

I once read that the entirety of explorable area, even at 70 with a flying mount, in the whole of WoW is far less than one standard county in the Midwest US.

Someday, I would love to see an MMO or the like with far more geographical area and scope, a more believable geological layout, and a far larger and more interactive NPC population.

One of my favorite areas of WoW, in terms of how it fits together, is the human region of Elwynn Forest, Redridge, Duskwood, and Westfall. There are no great artificial barriers of mountain rings as if each region sits in an ancient caldera. You cross a river, and you're in another region, and you can cross the borders at just about any point. It's very natural.

It's a tiny tiny place, but look at all that room for growth as they keep 'discovering' continents. Maybe in a few years we'll see another major 'continent'. Eventually, as much land mass as Earth . . . by the time we're living in Orbitals.

Ooo, WoW orbitals. Hmmm . . .

• 2 months later...

Tauren - Male [-1] points

STR+5 [5]; CON+1 [2]; +1 BOD [2]; EGO+1 [2]; PRE+1 [1]; 'Horns' 1 pip HKA, Restrainable (-1/2) [3]; -1" KB [2]; +1 PD [1]; +1 ED [1]; Running +1" [2]

-2 DEX [-6]; -1 INT [-1]; Physical Limitation: Large, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 and a half feet tall and 400 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Tauren - Concealable, Always Noticed/Major Reaction, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [10]

Tauren - Female [-4] points

STR+5 [5]; CON+1 [2]; +1 BOD [2]; EGO+1 [2]; PRE+1 [1]; -1" KB [2]; +1 PD [1]; +1 ED [1]; Running +1" [2]

-2 DEX [-6]; -1 INT [-1]; Physical Limitation: Large, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 and a quarter feet tall and 375 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Tauren - Concealable, Always Noticed/Major Reaction, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [10]

Night Elf [0] points

DEX+2 [6]; PRE+1 [1]; Running +1" [2]; +2 to Concealment skill only in shadows (-1/4); Self Only (-1/2) [2]; Longevity [2]

STR-1 [-1]; -1 BOD [-2]; Physical Limitation: Willowy, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 feet tall and 200 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Night Elf - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Troll [0] points

STR+1 [1]; PRE+1 [1]; Running +1" [2]; Regeneration 1 BOD/Day [5]; +1 to Acrobatics skill [2]

INT-1 [-1]; Physical Limit: Willowy, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 and a half feet tall) [5]; Distinctive Features: Troll - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Gnome [-2] points

DEX+2 [6]; INT+4 [4]; +2 to Concealment skill - Self Only (-1/2) [3]; +2 tp Stealth skill [4]; +2 DCV [10]

STR-5 [-5]; BOD-1 [-2]; PRE-5 [-5]; -3" Running [-6]; -1" Swimming [-1]; Physical Limitation: Small Stature (Average 3 and a half feet tall) [-5]; Distinctive Features: Gnome - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Orc [-2] points

STR+3 [3]; +1 CON [2]; +1 EGO [2]; PRE+1 [1]; -1" KB [2]; Running +1" [2]

DEX-1 [-3]; -1 INT [-1]; Physical Limitation: Large, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 feet tall and 230 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Orc - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Well, I broke down bought the books (most on PDF format as the hard bounds are apparently priceless collectors Items) and realized the line pretty much died before Burning Crusade was introduced. :( But I found a web extrapolation for Draenei and Blood Elf characters and so I will now give it all a good read and see what I can come up with. :)

Mostly, though I'm looking for feel rather than perfection and some have already posted some great stuff.

Worgen. They're not really something that would be playable in most circumstances' date=' I would think.[/quote']

the worgen ... exist only to terrorize and destroy. ... Worgen never show mercy or remorse. They may seem savage' date=' but they are fairly intelligent and possess a cruel bestial cunning that can come as a surprise to the unprepared[/quote']

I dunno, that description certainly matches some PCs I've played with :D

Cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, been reading the d20. Did not know it was from White Wolf...but I've decided not to hold it against them.

Sadly the Line seems to have fizzled and died before any of the Burning Crusade stuff came out. Which is sad because that means no Draenei, but as I mentioned before, I found one and have been puting the stuff into a neat little character program RPGXplorer. Much more customizable than ETools though I'm running into something of a learning curve. Dedicated community, with promise of more. however, like the guys at Code Monkey, the guys making RPGXplorer seem to be running into a gelatenous cube in front of a wall and development has slowed on the GM tools side. But all in all I like the program.

ANYWHO....

so for me here is the Draenei Hero Package

+1 STR they are by and large, large.

-1 DEX apparently, despite the seductive movements of their females in game, they are less agile than most

+1 INT The Draenei culture is quite advanced, and study Arcane as well as Shamanistic, and Spiritual magics

+2 EGO They are very well fortified spiritually.

Though in game not too much is made of their appearance, they do look fairly demonic (with reason) and a COM penalty isn't out of the question. But I'm not giving them one.

Abilities:

Blessings of the Naaru: Healing 2d6, Half Phase action.

Inspire Courage +1 Combat Level (or +1 with Spell Combat) usable by others

Jewelcrafting +2 to PS: Jewelcrafting (or Gemcutting, or Lapidary)

Disads:

DF: Draenei

• 4 weeks later...

STR+5 [5]; CON+1 [2]; +1 BOD [2]; EGO+1 [2]; PRE+1 [1]; 'Horns' 1 pip HKA, Restrainable (-1/2) [3]; -1" KB [2]; +1 PD [1]; +1 ED [1]; Running +1" [2]

-2 DEX [-6]; -1 INT [-1]; Physical Limitation: Large, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 and a half feet tall and 400 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Tauren - Concealable, Always Noticed/Major Reaction, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [10]

STR+5 [5]; CON+1 [2]; +1 BOD [2]; EGO+1 [2]; PRE+1 [1]; -1" KB [2]; +1 PD [1]; +1 ED [1]; Running +1" [2]

-2 DEX [-6]; -1 INT [-1]; Physical Limitation: Large, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 and a quarter feet tall and 375 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Tauren - Concealable, Always Noticed/Major Reaction, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [10]

Night Elf [0] points

DEX+2 [6]; PRE+1 [1]; Running +1" [2]; +2 to Concealment skill only in shadows (-1/4); Self Only (-1/2) [2]; Longevity [2]

STR-1 [-1]; -1 BOD [-2]; Physical Limitation: Willowy, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 feet tall and 200 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Night Elf - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Troll [0] points

STR+1 [1]; PRE+1 [1]; Running +1" [2]; Regeneration 1 BOD/Day [5]; +1 to Acrobatics skill [2]

INT-1 [-1]; Physical Limit: Willowy, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 and a half feet tall) [5]; Distinctive Features: Troll - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Gnome [-2] points

DEX+2 [6]; INT+4 [4]; +2 to Concealment skill - Self Only (-1/2) [3]; +2 tp Stealth skill [4]; +2 DCV [10]

STR-5 [-5]; BOD-1 [-2]; PRE-5 [-5]; -3" Running [-6]; -1" Swimming [-1]; Physical Limitation: Small Stature (Average 3 and a half feet tall) [-5]; Distinctive Features: Gnome - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

Orc [-2] points

DEX-1 [-3]; -1 INT [-1]; Physical Limitation: Large, Infrequently, Slightly Imparing (Average 7 feet tall and 230 lbs) [5]; Distinctive Features: Orc - Concealable, Noticed, Not Distinctive in Some Cultures [5]

LOL you beat me to it Awsome:thumbup: I would of gave the gnomes +4 to ego. but evrey thing else is great

Imp(pet): from World of warcraft

5 str: +5pts

15 dex: 15pts ocv: 5 dcv: 5

20 con: 20pts

10 body:

10 int:

10 ego:

10 pre:

10 com:

4 Pd: 3pts

4 Ed:

2.5 spd:

5 rec:

40 end:

22.5 stun:

Fire bolt: 2d6 Rka, 30pts, +1 stun+1/2, extra knock back+3/4, 38pts

+3 to con and end =6pts, usable bye others+1, Area effect (any) only party members+3/4, 11pts

Slavish loyally+1

178pts summon

Buyable options:

Imp Phasing: (desolidification ) 40pts, 0 end+1, 80pts, all ways on until master is hit or turned off, -1/4, 20pts

Fire shield: 1d6 Hka, 15pts, usable bye others+1, Area effect (any) only party members+3/4, 0 End+1/2, Damage shield+ 2/4, 45pts, all ways on-1/2, 23ptsI usaly put my stuff in my FF monsters and potions and what ever post

Night Elf [0] points

Troll [0] points

Gnome [-2] points

Orc [-2] points

Thank you very much, and repped