World of HEROCraft?

Hermit

Re: World of HEROCraft?

The Days Ride Inn.

Two decades ago, James Hallman was a young warrior mustered out of the Menethil Bay militia and seeking his fortune as an adventurer. As luck would have it, he joined an adventuring company that was getting started nearby and spent a good five years living the wild life. A few close calls and a windfall adventure later, James retired and with his new wife and fellow adventurer, Priscilla, set about putting his fortune to good use. He called in some favors and beat back the Dragonmaw Orcs and some of the Mosshide Gnolls long enough for a fortified structure to be built about a day's ride from Menethil Bay.

The Days Ride Inn was a fairly immediate success. the Dwarves from Dun Modr appreciated the location and the Goblins who ran trade through the wetlands found it invaluable during the rainy seasons. After a year, one of the Goblin Merchants approached James and Priscilla about the possibility of building a large, covered semi permanent bazzar/stables for their caravans. He agreed and the goblins built a small dwelling for the Caravan Masters and later another for a few permanent merchants.

When the Dark Iron Dwarves attacked Dun Modr, the populace that escaped was given shelter at the Inn and in return built a watch tower and small barracks. A garrison of 50 dwarven warriors now provide protection along with a few dwarven master smiths who maintain the garrison's weapons and armor as well as rendering services for the Inn and her patrons.

Menethil Keep, seeing how the little inn was becoming so important began sending militia patrols to keep the peace along the roads nearby, and eventually with permission from the Hallmans also built a permanent structure for patrols to stay out and protect the caravans, dwarven archeologists, and dignitaries. A wall and two more guard towers were added.

Fifteen years after it's formation, Days Ride is a tiny but well protected and funded community built around a stout inn. James and Priscilla still run the inn with their eldest daughter Emma being taught the business. The Goblins have a permanent custodian at the caravan cover, Gratzel Gearshift who runs a tiny engineering supply business on the side.

The Dwarf community is very small (the Garrison rotates to and from Loch Modan and once Dun Modr is returned to them some of the Garrison will return to their homes) and the leader is Burren Stonewalker, he's a weaponsmith of some skill, and he and Gratzel have an ongoing weapons design rivalry that is surprisingly friendly.

Days Ride is roughly centralized on the road that passes through the wetlands. Including the Caravan Cover and towers there are seven buildings. The architecture is mostly human with though the Caravan Cover is obviously Goblin design and the dwarven Tower and barracks are built to dwarven standards. Days Ride is considered a protectorate of Menethil Bay.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey wanted to run some things by my assembled HERO and WoW fans.

How would you use Flight paths?

Would you?

My discussion with a few fellows while playing WoW lead to me seeing the flight path beasts as similar to homing pigeons. They had a set route they were trained to make with the required stops. People paying for flight did not actually "Pilot" the Gryphons (or whatever) They were merely strapped in passengers.

Now I'm considering that perhaps that's not a great idea, I'll grant it's kind of a high magic setting but does everyone really have an item that lets them summon mounts? How would you handle it?

The Days Ride Inn.

Two decades ago, James Hallman was a young warrior mustered out of the Menethil Bay militia and seeking his fortune as an adventurer. As luck would have it, he joined an adventuring company that was getting started nearby and spent a good five years living the wild life. A few close calls and a windfall adventure later, James retired and with his new wife and fellow adventurer, Priscilla, set about putting his fortune to good use. He called in some favors and beat back the Dragonmaw Orcs and some of the Mosshide Gnolls long enough for a fortified structure to be built about a day's ride from Menethil Bay.

The Days Ride Inn was a fairly immediate success. the Dwarves from Dun Modr appreciated the location and the Goblins who ran trade through the wetlands found it invaluable during the rainy seasons. After a year, one of the Goblin Merchants approached James and Priscilla about the possibility of building a large, covered semi permanent bazzar/stables for their caravans. He agreed and the goblins built a small dwelling for the Caravan Masters and later another for a few permanent merchants.

When the Dark Iron Dwarves attacked Dun Modr, the populace that escaped was given shelter at the Inn and in return built a watch tower and small barracks. A garrison of 50 dwarven warriors now provide protection along with a few dwarven master smiths who maintain the garrison's weapons and armor as well as rendering services for the Inn and her patrons.

Menethil Keep, seeing how the little inn was becoming so important began sending militia patrols to keep the peace along the roads nearby, and eventually with permission from the Hallmans also built a permanent structure for patrols to stay out and protect the caravans, dwarven archeologists, and dignitaries. A wall and two more guard towers were added.

Fifteen years after it's formation, Days Ride is a tiny but well protected and funded community built around a stout inn. James and Priscilla still run the inn with their eldest daughter Emma being taught the business. The Goblins have a permanent custodian at the caravan cover, Gratzel Gearshift who runs a tiny engineering supply business on the side.

The Dwarf community is very small (the Garrison rotates to and from Loch Modan and once Dun Modr is returned to them some of the Garrison will return to their homes) and the leader is Burren Stonewalker, he's a weaponsmith of some skill, and he and Gratzel have an ongoing weapons design rivalry that is surprisingly friendly.

Days Ride is roughly centralized on the road that passes through the wetlands. Including the Caravan Cover and towers there are seven buildings. The architecture is mostly human with though the Caravan Cover is obviously Goblin design and the dwarven Tower and barracks are built to dwarven standards. Days Ride is considered a protectorate of Menethil Bay.

I haven't been to Wetlands in a while. Where are you thinking this would be on the MMORPG map, just so that I can place it in my mind's eye?

(Obviously the MMORPG map and a more realistic map don't line up well, but you get the idea.)

Oh and it might be all for naught. I found someone who did a map based on teh d20 game and a comment by one of the developers and I think my image of the wetlands is too cramped. I assumed it would take about 2.5 to 3 days to get across looks like at least for tabletop purposes it's a few weeks. So "Daysride" might be an incorrect name. I'll keep it though.

Oh and it might be all for naught. I found someone who did a map based on teh d20 game and a comment by one of the developers and I think my image of the wetlands is too cramped. I assumed it would take about 2.5 to 3 days to get across looks like at least for tabletop purposes it's a few weeks. So "Daysride" might be an incorrect name. I'll keep it though.

Geez, you can cross the whole thing on foot in five or ten minutes. ;)

Exactly' date=' and why put an in less than three feet from the town?[/quote']

Well, it's not three feet, it's more like a couple of hundred feet*. Which considering how much junk most adventurers carry around, is maybe about the time they'll be looking to dump the pack, sit down and take a breather :D

Cheers, Mark

*Och, no, I haven't seen my brother in nigh on 20 years. He moved to Northrend and it's almost 6 minutes sail from here, y'know.

http://www.geocities.com/magusrogue/

Is the website of one of the designers of the d20WoW RPG. He has a ton of stuff that hasn't made it into the offical books.

Having played the game in d20, I have to say that it is one of the worst written set of books in the d20 line. Very incomplete. Also the Classes don't play anything like the MMO. Also the crafting rules in the basic book are totally borked, and are only slightly better in the supplimental books.

Having said that. The books are a great source of Warcraft Lore. Though I would caution any folk running a game in azeroth that ignoring some of the mmo conventions would probably be best for a long running game (ie Hearthstones, Flight Points, Pocket sized mounts, small world size, boat/Zepplin Trips across ocean taking minutes etc).

I wish we could have talked the GM into playing our game in Hero, we would have been much happier and would probably still be playing that one.

Thanks for the advice/Link Tasha!

I had already plundered the poor fellows site looking for my draenei writup :)

Yeah, with the exception of Flight Paths (maybe) I've done away with most of that. I haven't even started working on the classes as this is very much a distraction for me when otherwise uninvolved.

Indeed it takes probably 3 days to get from Azuremyst to Auberdine. Across the ocean? ...a while.

One jarring thing that we always had to keep in mind was that the cities and towns as portrayed in the MMO were relatively small, and that in "reality" are quite a bit larger. One gets so used to thinking of towns like the Crossroads, Ratchet, and others as being fairly small. We had a good time roaming around Azeroth as Horde.

We were playing during the time period just before the Dark Portal reopened. The Draenai had crashed their ship into Azuremyst and the Blood Elves had decided to align themselves with the Forsaken. We played horde characers.

I think the real challenge in writing up the package deals would be to capture the feel of the class as it plays in the MMO, but also making it a viable RPG character.

We had a Tauren Shaman, Mok'nathal Hunter (My character), Goblin Tinkerer, Blood Elf Mage, and a Blood elf Rogue.

We had a ton of fun RPing out meeting the "alliance" elves, and how Blood Elves would have been treated when they were first introduced to the horde. Esp with their very arrogant, haughty attitudes on the rest of the horde, and of course a history of fighting against their new friends.

Well goodluck on the campaign.

One jarring thing that we always had to keep in mind was that the cities and towns as portrayed in the MMO were relatively small, and that in "reality" are quite a bit larger. One gets so used to thinking of towns like the Crossroads, Ratchet, and others as being fairly small. We had a good time roaming around Azeroth as Horde.

We were playing during the time period just before the Dark Portal reopened. The Draenai had crashed their ship into Azuremyst and the Blood Elves had decided to align themselves with the Forsaken. We played horde characers.

I think the real challenge in writing up the package deals would be to capture the feel of the class as it plays in the MMO, but also making it a viable RPG character.

We had a Tauren Shaman, Mok'nathal Hunter (My character), Goblin Tinkerer, Blood Elf Mage, and a Blood elf Rogue.

We had a ton of fun RPing out meeting the "alliance" elves, and how Blood Elves would have been treated when they were first introduced to the horde. Esp with their very arrogant, haughty attitudes on the rest of the horde, and of course a history of fighting against their new friends.

Well goodluck on the campaign.

Thanks! I have to ask, what's a Mok'nathal? I don't recall them

If I ever get campaign of the ground the time period is just before WoTLK, so the Crusade has wound down some heroes ahve reeturned some have not. The Alliance and the Horde are now trying to figure out where to go from here, and the Hit Fits the Shan up in Northrend. and the Attacks from thee Necropoli.

Like I said it's a pipe dream at the moment cribbing as much from the game/wikis and online reasources I can and then...probably not doing anything with it :(

• 3 months later...

*Blows off dust*

Booga booga (as far as thread necromancy chants go that was pretty weak)

Ok so I'm looking to start the classes here.

I could go in alphabetical order, but I won't.

I have some basic ideas:

Every class gets an END reserve, for most, it's Mana, and is fairly standaredized.

For Rogues, it's called Energy and still standard

For Warriors it's Rage and has no REC and recovers via Transfer/Aid combo

For Death Knights it's....you know what? I have no flipping clue.

Gonna probably use "Armor Proficiency" skill

Neat huH?

ok I haven't much yet. As near as I can tell Magic will probably only have "Incantations" as a standard limitation. Some spells have regent requirements but precious little more than that...perhaps casting time...but probably not.

Any ideas, my friends? I have to hit the books soon but I'll be back as I have ideas.

*Blows off dust*

Booga booga (as far as thread necromancy chants go that was pretty weak)

Ok so I'm looking to start the classes here.

I could go in alphabetical order, but I won't.

I have some basic ideas:

Every class gets an END reserve, for most, it's Mana, and is fairly standaredized.

For Rogues, it's called Energy and still standard

For Warriors it's Rage and has no REC and recovers via Transfer/Aid combo

For Death Knights it's....you know what? I have no flipping clue.

Gonna probably use "Armor Proficiency" skill

Neat huH?

ok I haven't much yet. As near as I can tell Magic will probably only have "Incantations" as a standard limitation. Some spells have regent requirements but precious little more than that...perhaps casting time...but probably not.

Any ideas, my friends? I have to hit the books soon but I'll be back as I have ideas.

I've mentioned this before. It's my personal belief that attempting to convert video game balance rules into an RPG conversion is absolutely the wrong thing to do. END Reserves, etc are a bad way to go and usually end up complicating what's essentially a bog standard HERO fantasy campaign with a few bells and whistles like guns for hunters. If you want my advice. Convert the flavor of WoW don't try the recipe. What you'll end up with will likely look odd and taste even worse. =)

I've mentioned this before. It's my personal belief that attempting to convert video game balance rules into an RPG conversion is absolutely the wrong thing to do. END Reserves' date=' etc are a bad way to go and usually end up complicating what's essentially a bog standard HERO fantasy campaign with a few bells and whistles like guns for hunters. If you want my advice. Convert the flavor of WoW don't try the recipe. What you'll end up with will likely look odd and taste even worse. =)[/quote']

It sounds like an ideal conversion to 4th ed D&D then :)

I've mentioned this before. It's my personal belief that attempting to convert video game balance rules into an RPG conversion is absolutely the wrong thing to do. END Reserves' date=' etc are a bad way to go and usually end up complicating what's essentially a bog standard HERO fantasy campaign with a few bells and whistles like guns for hunters. If you want my advice. Convert the flavor of WoW don't try the recipe. What you'll end up with will likely look odd and taste even worse. =)[/quote']

Thanks for the warning, but since I have no group to play with and see this as more of something to do in my spare time, forgive me if I press on. :)

As near as I can tell Magic will probably only have "Incantations" as a standard limitation. Some spells have regent requirements but precious little more than that...perhaps casting time...but probably not.

I disagree. The only spells without Extra Time would be the instant-cast ones. Most spells would take at least a Full Phase, and many an extra Phase. Really long spells (10 sec cast time) would probably need a full Turn.

I can also see spells needing Gestures (representing pushback). Channeled spells might be built with Concentration.

I disagree. The only spells without Extra Time would be the instant-cast ones. Most spells would take at least a Full Phase, and many an extra Phase. Really long spells (10 sec cast time) would probably need a full Turn.

I can also see spells needing Gestures (representing pushback). Channeled spells might be built with Concentration.

ah thanks.

I am confused of this pushback seen it mentioned but what's the mechanic?