World of HEROCraft?

Hermit

In a dangerous mix of MMORPG and RP (Please don't throw rotten vegetables at me) I was wondering, if anyone were to use the game's setting, races, etc for their RP setting and HERO for their rules, does anyone have ideas for racial packages etc and how best to emulate it?

If this has already been discussed on a previous thread, I apologize, my search skills failed me

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World of HEROCraft?

In a dangerous mix of MMORPG and RP (Please don't throw rotten vegetables at me) I was wondering, if anyone were to use the game's setting, races, etc for their RP setting and HERO for their rules, does anyone have ideas for racial packages etc and how best to emulate it?

If this has already been discussed on a previous thread, I apologize, my search skills failed me

I dunno, but for all the gripes I've had with WoW, it's rarely ever been because of the fluff. I'd love to see someone's take on a Tauren, cuz Cow people rock. :thumbup:

I dunno' date=' but for all the gripes I've had with WoW, it's rarely ever been because of the fluff. I'd love to see someone's take on a Tauren, cuz Cow people rock. :thumbup:[/quote']

The fluff is pretty darn good, and sadly underutilzed by the players themselves. Like any GM if I ever do run it as a setting, I will want to put my own spin on it (I don't intend to get a bunch of novels etc) but the basics seem solid.

And yes, Tauren are very cool, and I don't just say that because I'm a Taurus ;)

I'll be Mr. Obvious here and suggest checking out the WoW d20 3.5 books. The core book would be a very good resource for you as far as crafting races and classes go, and I'd definitely recommend it if you're really going to run something with WoW or WoW-style races or classes.

The book is short on some of the cosmology details of the setting, but either you can fake that yourself or pick up the Shadow and Light book.

I'll be Mr. Obvious here and suggest checking out the WoW d20 3.5 books. The core book would be a very good resource for you as far as crafting races and classes go, and I'd definitely recommend it if you're really going to run something with WoW or WoW-style races or classes.

The book is short on some of the cosmology details of the setting, but either you can fake that yourself or pick up the Shadow and Light book.

A reasonable suggestion but Two things:

1) I'm cheap, and would prefer to use the slave labor brilliant minds on these forums if they're willing

2) I tend to avoid putting money in White Wolf's pocket (or in the pocket of their sub company) whenever and however I can.

The only problem I'd see is the regimented nature of the game's leveling process and classes (you're highly restricted in what you can do and be) which is atypical for a Fantasy Hero setting.

Yeah, that's a snag for converting that I think I might have the most trouble with.

What I'd do is build a package for each basic class and a structure of talents that they can learn with requirements ( you have to have x points and y different abilities before you can go to the next tier) for the skill/spells but leave the talent builds completely open. Most of them are game-related (increased taunt, more crits, etc) and could be done just with skills and talents or are inapplicable to the real RPG setting. For the others, you could work on some talents that are open to everyone but would only be useful to certain types (warrior or caster, for example).

The most work will be some of the monsters such as Owlbeasts or Furbolgs that have no equivalent in printed materials. WOW is pretty standard in terms of bad guys, but there are some unique creatures you'll need to work up.

Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, and gnomes are represented in Fantasy Hero already IIRC. Trolls, Dranaei, undead, and Tauren would have to be made, I've made , but my high level fetish might make them out of reach for your needs, but I'll see if I can scrounge them out.

A reasonable suggestion but Two things:

1) I'm cheap, and would prefer to use the slave labor brilliant minds on these forums if they're willing

2) I tend to avoid putting money in White Wolf's pocket (or in the pocket of their sub company) whenever and however I can.

I can't argue with either of those points. :)

The wiki Shadowsoul pointed you at will be a great resource for you, then.

I can't argue with either of those points. :)

The wiki Shadowsoul pointed you at will be a great resource for you, then.

Yes he did, I need to rep him and several others it seems. Thanks all :) Please, keep ideas, suggestions, or write up ideas coming

heres my initial thoughts, something i was tinkering with a while back

TAUREN RACIAL CONCEPT V1

12 STR 8 DEX 10 CON 10 BODY 10 INT

10 EGO 10 PRE 10 COM 2 PD 2 ED

1 SPD 4 REC 20 END 21 STUN

Abilities: Racial Abilities; Big Horns: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR) (vs. PD) (5 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2); +2 STR; Charge) Animal Handler 13-; Language: Common (fluent conversation); Language: Taur-Ahe (idiomatic) (4 Active Points); PS: Warrior 11-; Survival (Mountain, Temperate/Subtropical Plains, Tropical Plains) 13-; WF: Common Melee Weapons

200+ Disadvantages: Psychological Limitation: Taking another life is an act of great signifcance (Common, Moderate); Psychological Limitation: Rarely speak unless there is a true reason to (Common, Strong); Psychological Limitation: No love for bloodshed, their deep spirtual beliefs have no place for warfare (Uncommon, Strong); Psychological Limitation: Hatred of High Elves (Common, Strong)

Notes:

I'd give them more base CON to represent the racial ability Endurance (+5% hps and more Body to represent being 9 feet tall. Probably wouldn't hurt to give them -1 DCV and -1" knockback but that's optional. Certainly a physical limitation of being absurdly huge is appropriate, they can barely fit in a doorway.

1) I'm cheap' date=' and would prefer to use the [strike']slave labor[/strike] brilliant minds on these forums if they're willing.

Isn't WoW one of those MMORPGs that you are forced to pay money to play?

Not that I'm biased or have 8 characters on Fiesta or anything...

Thought I'd have a go at Draenei. I don't know how you're adapting the spell system or how you treat Everyman Skills so I've just gone for the flavour of a Draenei rather than adapting them perfectly from the system or giving them an extensive cultural package.

Characteristic Bonuses.

+1 Str

+1 Int

+2 Ego

Inspiring/Heroic Presence.

+3 Pre

Gift of the Naaru

Healing BODY 1d6, Can Heal Limbs (15 Active Points); Limited Power Must Wait One Combat Turn Before Re-Casting. (-1/2)

Shadow Resistance

Armor (0 PD/3 ED) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only Against Shadow Magic (-2)

Gemcrafting.

PS: Jewelcrafting 11-

Other skills

KS: The Naaru 11-

CuK: Draenei 11-

AK: Azuremist Isle 11-

Total Cost 28.

Disadvantages.

Distinctive Features: Draenei. (Hooves, Horns, Blue Skin). (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

Psychological Limitation: Hates Eredar. (Uncommon, Strong)

Final Cost 3.

Draenei characters in WoW are actually less agile than humans but then so are WoW Dwarves and Fantasy Hero Dwarves don't take a Dex hit so I decided not to pick on the Draenei.

The distinctive features has been built as 'major reaction, not distinctive in some cultures' because in parts of Azeroth Draenei can walk down city streets with no-one batting an eyelid while in other places they will be chased by people screaming "Demons! Demons are invading!" or "Kill the Alliance scum!"

As optional extras I'd suggest a hatred of Blood Elves or Orcs.

I went with the listed stats in the WoW rpg book, and it says 7.5 to 8 feet though

it just gives +2 STR, -2 DEX

How is the d20 game?

anyway from my point of view I'd make Tauren at the upper end of normal size, so -1 DCV and a "Large Being" Physical limitation.

I'd also give them their in game power "Stomp"

6d6 EB AE radius, No Range, only to Stun (-1 1/2). Probably some sort of "Cool Down" limitation needs to be added or hand-waved.

And I'd make give them +2 STR, +2 CON -2 DEX

some of the racial for a few of the races in wow for hero might look like this

human: the human spirit +1 ego, diplomacy (or gosh darn it they like me) + 2 with persence base skills, and +1 with close group swords maces and axes

night elf: shadowmeld invisiblity to sight targating group out of combat -3/4, immobile - 1/2, quickness +1 dcv to all combat, nature resistance 25% energy damage reduction nature magic only - 1/2

gnome: escape artist desoldification entagles and grabs only -1 1/2, expensive mind + 3 int, arcane resistance 25% energy damage reduction only arcane magic types -1/2

dwarves: stone form life surport immunity to all terrestrail disease poisons and biowarfare agents must pay end to begin -1/4, last a turn and have a 5 min cooldown -1?( not sure on that lim cost) gun specialization + 1 ocv with guns, frost resistance 25% energy damage reduction frost magic only -1/2

draenie : gem cutting +1 with ps jewelcrafting, inspiring presence +1 ocv with spells usable by others +1( by your self and 4 others) ranged +1/2, herioc presence + 1 ocv with hand to hand combat usable by others +1 ranged +1/2, gift of the naaru 1d6 healing continuous +1 uncontrolled +1/2 increased healing 4 pts cooldown 5 mins -1? ( see dwarf)

just some possible takes on the races of the alliance

What you could do with each class is set up classes (very anti-Hero but there you have it) and give each class a list of talents they can buy that are the skills and talent tree equivalents. Thunderclap for warriors, gouge for rogues, fireball for mages. That way you control the effects very closely and the upgrades could be simply an additional cost to existing talents rather than new ones entirely.

You might want to cut back the cost on the talents a bit to make people able to afford them all (or give people a ton of points to work with).