Death Race

Captain Obvious

Re: Death Race

Someone's been playing Car Wars (the title that defined Steve Jackson games before GURPS came out, and one of filkjer Leslie Fish's favorite games).

I don't know whether this is a remake or riff on Roger Corman's cult classic Death Race 2000, although I thought I recognzied Frankenstien's mask in the promos. In the original, the cars weren't armed, though, and most of the deaths were of sectators rather than participants. In fact, killing spectators was the whole point. Frankenstien was good at it to his own disgust.

Someone's been playing Car Wars (the title that defined Steve Jackson games before GURPS came out, and one of filkjer Leslie Fish's favorite games).

I don't know whether this is a remake or riff on Roger Corman's cult classic Death Race 2000, although I thought I recognzied Frankenstien's mask in the promos. In the original, the cars weren't armed, though, and most of the deaths were of sectators rather than participants. In fact, killing spectators was the whole point. Frankenstien was good at it to his own disgust.

It looks to me at best inspired by Death Race 2000 rather than a remake. Does look promising though as long as expectations are held in check. The Transporter movies were fun as long as your sense of belief was under heavily sedation. :D

It's a riff-on, not a remake, although Corman is one of the executive producers. There are almost no spectators, except on pay-per-view. Just saw the movie. I thought of Car Wars the entire time -- smoke, oil, napalm as defense, ablative armor, miniguns, the works. Noisy, silly fun, with some very winceable deaths. :thumbup:

They played the trailer for this when I went to see Hellboy II. I may be mistaken, but it appeared to last for twenty long, long minutes...

Well, I might be exaggerating, then. I turned to my girlfriend, who was staring in horrified disbelief at the screen, and said, "I think we've just watched the entire movie." Can't imagine how much else is left, considering that the plot is not exactly deep.

They played the trailer for this when I went to see Hellboy II. I may be mistaken, but it appeared to last for twenty long, long minutes...

Well, I might be exaggerating, then. I turned to my girlfriend, who was staring in horrified disbelief at the screen, and said, "I think we've just watched the entire movie." Can't imagine how much else is left, considering that the plot is not exactly deep.

There are a few surprises in the movie they didn't drop into the trailer.

No, it's not a "good" movie. But it is exactly what you expect out of it, which is all I ask of my movies.

It's a 90 minute movie, with a total of about 20-30 minutes of talking and a solid hour of cars, explosions, guns, explosions, hawt chicks, explosions and just to be sure they didn't miss anything - explosions.

It's a 90 minute movie' date=' with a total of about 20-30 minutes of talking and a solid hour of cars, explosions, guns, explosions, hawt chicks, explosions and just to be sure they didn't miss anything - explosions.[/quote']

If they'd just had Ian McShane walk on and say exactly that to the audience I'd have been instantly sold on the film :D