New to Hero System - kind of...

Poison

Hi everyone. This looks to be my first post on these forums.

I used to play Champions back in the 80s. My wife and I started roleplaying superhero stuff around 6-8 months ago, and tried out the M&M system because she was used to D20 (D&D). I really didn't like the system compared to my experience with Champions a long time ago, so decided to make the switch over to Hero System v5.

Just finished making her character and noticed things haven't changed much since way back in the 80's. I can't believe how this system has survived the test of time. I am excited to start playing.

My wife is playing an electricity based blaster type character (named TAZER), who is the spokesperson for her superhero group (taking various skills like Persuasion, Oratory, Conversation, etc...

We decided to change a few things when we converted her character over to Hero System, and she bugged me to draw her a fresh new costume, so I broke out my pencils... Here is what she looks like.

I may ink and color this one for her so she can have a full color character sheet with her picture on it... She is one character of a 3 character superhero group. The others are named Salvage, and The Ghost. I will be drawing the other characters after I convert them, as I have time. :)

Tazer.jpg

I am hoping I did all the calculations right on her character, it's been a while... :) Anyways, this is my way of saying Hello Everyone!!!

Re: New to Hero System - kind of...

Nice costume, and midriff. ;)

Welcome back to the fold, Poison. (How many welcomes do you get with a handle like that, anyway?) :rolleyes: Any questions you have, on HERO or any other subject, feel free to ask. This community is generally very friendly and helpful, not to mention garrulous. :)

Holy Cow! I leave for an hour, and I see a ton of replies already. This is a very active board!!!

@everyone - Thanks for the welcome!!! And great comments! :)

@brionl - Unfortunately I have an imac not a PC and I haven't seen this software for the imac. :( I would buy it in a second if it was ever 'ported to the imac.

@radefox - Thanks! I have a bunch more sketches I could share, maybe I will start a thread for that and throw some in there. I am just an amateur artist who draws for fun and relieve stress. I've gone through many style changes over the years, and this seems to be the one I feel most comfortable with so far. I plan to draw the other characters in my campaign, as well as create villains and draw them as well. I think it adds a bit more realism when roleplaying if you have a sketch of what the villains look like instead of just a description. Maybe I will post the pictures and the character sheet of these villains for others to use if people want. :)

@Lord Liaden - I go by other handles on different boards, but I figured being a Game Master I would use a villain name for a change. :)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I am very excited to get back into Champions and I hope to learn from you all and share more of my stuff with you all.

@brionl - Unfortunately I have an imac not a PC and I haven't seen this software for the imac. :( I would buy it in a second if it was ever 'ported to the imac.
Poison - If your imac can run the latest versions of Java then it can run Hero Designer as it is a Java application...

It is very good for checking your math... :)

You're a very talented artist. You could do well here with some commission work; there's a ton of people here (myself included) with no artistic ability.

Welcome back to Hero. There's quite a few of us here who've been playing Champions/Hero since the early 80's, so you're among friends. :)

Hero Designer works just fine on a Mac - it's what I use. Anything on the planet that runs the full version of Java 5 can run Hero Designer 3.
Yes, I've even run it in Ubuntu Linux and I know there's a number of board members using it in other versions of Linux.

Java 6 is better than Java 5 for running Hero Designer in my experience.

WOW! Thanks guys!

I bought the Hero Designer after what you said, and it works perfectly on the imac. :thumbup:

I just whipped up my wife's character in it as a test. My calculations were actually out by 7 points. :thumbdown So I had to fiddle a bit with her characteristics, heh heh.

Thanks so much!

You've got something... on your face there... looks painful. You might wanna get that looked at.

Anyway.

I'm one of the 'new guys,' as I didn't touch Champions (because it was "super heroes") and then I broke d20 over my knee, and one of my friends said "We can use HERO." And I've been trapped here ever since.

They won't let me out. Please. YOU HAVE TO HELP ME! I CAN'T ESCAPE!! YEAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I gave Mutants and Masterminds a solid effort. We played it for 6-8 months. I always hated the D20 system, and thought that version was as far away from D20 as you could probably get. However, a lot of commonly used powers were very vague in their explanation, and I hated the way knockback was calculated, as well as a few other nitpicky things.

I've played many many many roleplaying games over the years (I've been playing RPGs since 1980), in various systems, and I have to say, I've never found a system that was better than Champions.

My wife got into roleplaying about 10 years ago, starting with 2nd Edition D&D, and we moved into 3rd edition D20 as well as 3.5. It was a hard sell to get her to try Superhero roleplaying, as she really liked the Fantasy genre, but I convinced her, and a few of my friends joined as well, and now she likes the whole genre. This is a big "plus" for me, as I prefer the superhero genre to fantasy. I also like drawing it a lot more. :)

I was ready to burn my M&M books after our last session tho. Some of the rules became too distracting to me as a GM, so it was time to move in my opinion, to a more superior system...

There is my big story... :eek:

You've got something... on your face there... looks painful. You might wanna get that looked at.

Anyway.

I'm one of the 'new guys,' as I didn't touch Champions (because it was "super heroes") and then I broke d20 over my knee, and one of my friends said "We can use HERO." And I've been trapped here ever since.

They won't let me out. Please. YOU HAVE TO HELP ME! I CAN'T ESCAPE!! YEAAAARRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

*hands Thia his medication*

Don't make me get the hose.

I gave Mutants and Masterminds a solid effort. We played it for 6-8 months. I always hated the D20 system, and thought that version was as far away from D20 as you could probably get. However, a lot of commonly used powers were very vague in their explanation, and I hated the way knockback was calculated, as well as a few other nitpicky things.

I've played many many many roleplaying games over the years (I've been playing RPGs since 1980), in various systems, and I have to say, I've never found a system that was better than Champions.

My wife got into roleplaying about 10 years ago, starting with 2nd Edition D&D, and we moved into 3rd edition D20 as well as 3.5. It was a hard sell to get her to try Superhero roleplaying, as she really liked the Fantasy genre, but I convinced her, and a few of my friends joined as well, and now she likes the whole genre. This is a big "plus" for me, as I prefer the superhero genre to fantasy. I also like drawing it a lot more. :)

I was ready to burn my M&M books after our last session tho. Some of the rules became too distracting to me as a GM, so it was time to move in my opinion, to a more superior system...

There is my big story... :eek:

Play Fantasy Hero - your wife gets Fantasy, you get the System. :D

Anyway.

fo those who have that four color aversion, i' suggest dark champions for movie style action heroes or ninja hero for martial arts action