Slow Space Elevator

tkdguy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Slow Space Elevator

I find the notion of laser propelled launch interesting. It would take a substantial power-source, such as a dedicated rectenna from a large SPS array (etc) or nuclear reactor, and the choreography of the lasers to push the load up would require a great deal of sophistication, but the theory is sound and the technical hoops we need to jump through to make it a reality are somewhat more realistic (that's my impression at least). It does have the drawback of being beholden to the weather (you need really clear days), but it doesn't have the limited placement issues a "space-elevator" has. You could build laser-motive launch stations in more places.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/laser_propulsion_000705.html

This article suggests the space elevator may not be that great a deal after all.

Old news. In Fountains of Paridise Carke wrote of useing resonance and climber speed to "tune" a beanstalk.

Ideally they would be like San Francisco cable cars, paired climbers so that the descending one transfers energy and momentum to the ascending one.

I thought they figured out the whole idea was bonkers decades ago.

It always struck me as a "looks good on paper, would never actually hold up to reality" kind of concepts.

Recent material and power advances un-bonkered the idea.

For the longest time the big hangup was the tether.... It needs to be strong enough to handle the workload while still being low mass enough not to act like a giant oribital velocity bullwhip if the tether was broken.

I thought they figured out the whole idea was bonkers decades ago.

It always struck me as a "looks good on paper, would never actually hold up to reality" kind of concepts.

I've always had the same impression.

Physics is sound. Just a matter of finding a strong enough material to make the tether, and it looks like carbon nanotubes will do.

Big problems are political, getting it past the NIMBY's.

Good point. I can see equipment and even satellites being launched into orbit that way. I doubt people will want to spend weeks just getting into orbit and living in the elevator all that time.

*shrug*

There was a time people spent months in cramped conditions to get from Europe to North America.

*shrug*

There was a time people spent months in cramped conditions to get from Europe to North America.

I was thinking about coffin ships, but more of the William Gibson nature rather than the Irish Migration.

But yeah. Sleep in shifts, everyone has their own internet connection, and good interior design and folk would endure without much fuss.

I was thinking about coffin ships, but more of the William Gibson nature rather than the Irish Migration.

But yeah. Sleep in shifts, everyone has their own internet connection, and good interior design and folk would endure without much fuss.

Better than the crewed mission to Mars. Six people sharing what amounts to an efficency apartment they can't leave for two and a half years.

Significant goof in the article. First, it's the Coriolis effect; it is NOT a force. Second and more important, it refers to the effect of moving north or south; in or out is simple inertia.

As others have said, this "bug" has been known about for a long time.

People go on weeks-long cruises just to land up where they started. Why is a week long "cruise" to outer space somehow inconceivable?

I suppose it could be considered a cruise. But keep in mind it's more dangerous than a cruise. And how would it affect the cost? It's supposed to be a cheap way of getting to space, but so was the space shuttle, which didn't live up to that promise.

Edit: Don't get me worng. I'm all for the space elevator. But if it takes weeks or even months to get to space, it won't entirely replace conventional rockets. There may be an incident where we'll need to get to space quickly.

And how would it affect the cost? It's supposed to be a cheap way of getting to space, but so was the space shuttle, which didn't live up to that promise.

Edit: Don't get me worng. I'm all for the space elevator. But if it takes weeks or even months to get to space, it won't entirely replace conventional rockets. There may be an incident where we'll need to get to space quickly.

The space elevator is NOT a Navy SEAL rapid reaction force transport vehicle. It is the equivalent of 18-wheel truckers. The idea is to provide cheap shipping for bulk cargo from the Earth's surface into orbit.

One of the main reasons that the space shuttle has bloated costs is NASA's ulterior motives. As Jerry Pournelle put it, the Shuttle program was designed as a full employment program for ex-Apollo technicians. They made jobs for all the Apollo techs, even though the shuttle didn't need them all.

There is an article about Space Elevator economics here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator_economics

Big problems are political' date=' getting it past the NIMBY's.[/quote']

Actually, NIMBY isn't an issue. The elevator site has to be on the equator, and the best sites in terms of weather are in the open ocean. So there's some substantial new space and admiralty legal issues. The bottom of the tether has to be modestly mobile ... something like a deep-ocean oil-drilling rig will do, which can move a few km in a day. But you have this quasipermanent structure based in international waters, extending upward through international airspace, and out beyond the atmosphere into international space. Legally, there's nothing like a relevant precedent for its status. What national entity (if any) is responsible for it? Who provides police (and naval) protection (pirates, anyone)? Who pays when damage or loss of life occurs on or around it? Who collects the fees for hoisting stuff up (and pays the penalties for loss of a payload)? Who insures the thing, and its cargo?

The slower speed ... 20 to 30 days in a tens-of-tons bulk carrier isn't a huge deal. You won't have commuters, and that transit time limits its usefulness for putting humans up there, but for freight service (which might be unmanned, or have a single crew) it still wins big. It also depends on how many elevator cars you can have running on the tether at once. AFAIK those are still development questions.

There are design competitions ongoing now for elevator car technology, things that can climb a ribbon cable at speed using a remote power source. And making the fibers long enough to be spun into a useful ribbon is also ongoing work.

It's not dead yet, and at no time did I think it'd be smooth sailing in the development process.

Heck, I'm still wondering if there's a way to harness the electromagnetic effects the thing will create. There's a few million volts of potential difference between Earth's surface and the top of the atmosphere, and then you'll have 30,000+ km of this ribbon cable rotating through Earth's magnetic field every 24 hours, which varies if for no other reason than it's compressed on the sunward side and extended in a tail out the night side. So the time-derivative terms of Maxwell's equations mean there'll be some current generated ....

But if it takes weeks or even months to get to space' date=' it won't entirely replace conventional rockets. There may be an incident where we'll need to get to space quickly.[/quote']

How do we get there quickly now? How long does it take to assemble, fuel, and preflight the shuttle?