Medals for Robots

Sociotard

Forgive me if this is a repost. I just found an interesting article about Robots in the military. It talks about how some soldiers become attached to their droids. Units will name them, give them rank (and promotions) and even award them purple hearts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050501009_pf.html

The most effective way to find and destroy a land mine is to step on it.

This has bad results, of course, if you're a human. But not so much if you're a robot and have as many legs as a centipede sticking out from your body. That's why Mark Tilden, a robotics physicist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, built something like that. At the Yuma Test Grounds in Arizona, the autonomous robot, 5 feet long and modeled on a stick-insect, strutted out for a live-fire test and worked beautifully, he says. Every time it found a mine, blew it up and lost a limb, it picked itself up and readjusted to move forward on its remaining legs, continuing to clear a path through the minefield.

Finally it was down to one leg. Still, it pulled itself forward. Tilden was ecstatic. The machine was working splendidly.

The human in command of the exercise, however -- an Army colonel -- blew a fuse.

The colonel ordered the test stopped.

Why? asked Tilden. What's wrong?

The colonel just could not stand the pathos of watching the burned, scarred and crippled machine drag itself forward on its last leg.

This test, he charged, was inhumane.

Re: Medals for Robots

That opening vignette is bizarre. Inhumane?

As for animals getting medals, there was a pigeon in WWI named Cher Ami who received the Croix de Guerre for carrying a message after having been shot through the chest and losing an eye and a leg.

They don't still give animals awards? That's kind of weird. I mean, it's weird to do it in the first place, since the animal doesn't give a rat's ass, and it's not going to inspire any of the other animals, but it's symbolic to those humans that work directly with the animals.

It's human nature to anthropomorphise machines that we have special fondness for. How many of us have named our cars and treated them with as much TLC as we would one of our relatives? Soldiers do this all the time with their ships, planes, or tanks. How much more tempting would it be to sympathise with a machine designed to resemble a living creature? If that robot had actually been a living animal it would have been lauded for its courage and loyalty for behaving as it did. And who knows? It may not be long before the distinction between flesh and machine organisms becomes very blurred.

That opening vignette is bizarre. Inhumane?

As for animals getting medals, there was a pigeon in WWI named Cher Ami who received the Croix de Guerre for carrying a message after having been shot through the chest and losing an eye and a leg.

They don't still give animals awards? That's kind of weird. I mean, it's weird to do it in the first place, since the animal doesn't give a rat's ass, and it's not going to inspire any of the other animals, but it's symbolic to those humans that work directly with the animals.

I do believe that an animal participating in an awards presentation can sense that something special is going on. At the least it's probably aware of the heightened affection and pride of its master, and perceives that it's pleased him or her.

But yes, the benefit of the award is primarily for its human colleagues. Funerals serve a similar function.

this brings to mind a story from one of the later Bolo books written by William H Keith... entitled "Brothers" it talks about 2 bolos stationed together that became like brothers, named Andrew and Hank, and how Hank goes berserk after Andrews death on the battlefield. its an interesting story, and considering its dedicated to his brother Andrew who had passed away suddenly, a bit moving.

its from the book "Bolos... the old guard"

I'd also say that it's human nature to create superstitions and rituals in high-stress situations. Even moreso when death is involved.

Sports people have their lucky things.

Soldiers as well. Just look at the worship pf the army standards in the Roman Republic.