What to do about Hydras

Psylint

Been trying to wrap my head around the implications of -0 Cannot Recombine Duplication construct for multiple hydra heads, and was hoping for some insight. Assume that there are 8 Hydra heads and all are identical:

1. If the hydra makes a full move, can any of the heads take an action?

2. If the hydra makes a half move, does 1 head get a half phase action, and the rest a full phase, or are all limited to a half phase?

3. If 1 head makes an attack action, can the other heads hold their action?

4. Can 1 head use Block to intercept a strike aimed at another head? or the hydra in general.

5. If 1 head aborts to a defensive action does that prevent the Hydra from moving until that head's next action?

I'm trying to figure out what the advantages of Cannot Recombine are that cancel out the disadvantages of not being able to be in multiple places at once.

Thanks!

Re: What to do about Hydras

So then,

1. The Hydra could make a full move with one head, and then the other 7 would have their full phase.

2. One head has a half phase, the other 7 have a full phase.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, presumably with the -2 OCV penalty for blocking for another.

5. No.

Excellent. Thanks bunches.

The main advantage that you lose with Cannot Recombine (-0) is you can't minimize damage or take up less space by recombining. The advantage that you gain is that you are always able to use all your duplicates as long as they survive.

Connected duplicates get the advantage of being "carried" by the collective with the obvious limitation of being connected. I would rule that one head should lose the ability to attack if the body takes a full move, on the other hand, I would not say that if the main duplicate's head is lopped off that the hydra's body suddenly could not move.

When I built a hydra I built it with duplication, each head being a separate creature but you could just build it as a single creature with lots of attacks, holding some of them for the next segment.

By the way, I think a duplicate that has one body is worth a limitation. By that I mean a Hydra who is built as a duplicate can't move around separately and independently like a normal bunch of duplicates can: they're all heads tied to the same body and that's worth a limitation.

Been trying to wrap my head around the implications of -0 Cannot Recombine Duplication construct for multiple hydra heads, and was hoping for some insight. Assume that there are 8 Hydra heads and all are identical:

1. If the hydra makes a full move, can any of the heads take an action?

2. If the hydra makes a half move, does 1 head get a half phase action, and the rest a full phase, or are all limited to a half phase?

3. If 1 head makes an attack action, can the other heads hold their action?

4. Can 1 head use Block to intercept a strike aimed at another head? or the hydra in general.

5. If 1 head aborts to a defensive action does that prevent the Hydra from moving until that head's next action?

I'm trying to figure out what the advantages of Cannot Recombine are that cancel out the disadvantages of not being able to be in multiple places at once.

Thanks!

Would your interpretation of a Hydra really get into blocking, etc?

Another way to build it instead of duplication could be something like an AoE with selective targeting and limitation that could only attack # of targets as has heads...as heads added/removed affects # of possible targets in its range.

Guest Admiral C

Been trying to wrap my head around the implications of -0 Cannot Recombine Duplication construct for multiple hydra heads' date=' and was hoping for some insight.[/quote']

They all shout "And I'll form the head!" and then get into a vicious bite-based argument about it.

Effectively each of the other heads has has an attack action since the main body/main head determines movement. They could do any complicated action their intelligence dictates. If they are smart enough to block for each other they can do it. The bigger question is whether or not each head can do advanced teamwork options like multiple attacker bonuses or coordinated attacks. I would say 'maybe' depending on it's intelligence score.

Another way to build it instead of duplication could be something like an AoE with selective targeting and limitation that could only attack # of targets as has heads...as heads added/removed affects # of possible targets in its range.

Throw in an Autofire attack for attacking one target many times and you're good to go. Amusingly, think Speedster and you're halfway to a descent Hydra without worrying about duplication.

Guest Major Tom

What to do about Hydras? A simple question with a simple answer.

Chop off each head as the opportunity presents itself, then douse it with

Greek Fire before it can sprout two new heads to replace the one you've

just cut off.

Works a treat, that does.

Major Tom :D

When I built a hydra I built it with duplication, each head being a separate creature but you could just build it as a single creature with lots of attacks, holding some of them for the next segment.

By the way, I think a duplicate that has one body is worth a limitation. By that I mean a Hydra who is built as a duplicate can't move around separately and independently like a normal bunch of duplicates can: they're all heads tied to the same body and that's worth a limitation.

This was originally my thought as well, but I have to admit the ability to make a move through attack, then several individual attacks, and still have a couple of phases of held actions is quite powerful.

My thanks and rep, to all that I can for the great insight.

Just keep chopping heads. For each head you chop' date=' two more will grow, and eventually, the poor thing's heart, which hasn't been growing, won't be able to supply enough blood to the heads to keep them awake.[/quote']

Then you sell it to a goblin, who starts an all-you-can-eat hydra head barbecue stand.

I have to admit the ability to make a move through attack, then several individual attacks, and still have a couple of phases of held actions is quite powerful.

Oh sure, its going to cost you, but there should be a limitation on the lack of ability to move around independently as well. You pay for the duplication because it is so flexible in combat, then limit it because it isn't as flexible as full duplication normally is.

Guest Major Tom

When the superheroes in my campaign went to Mythic Greece' date=' they were dismayed to learn that the detachable Hydra heads can fly. And breathe fire. And they sort of look like Quetzalcoatls.[/quote']

You threw a Raimi hydra at your players?! Shame! Shame on you!

Expect a visit from Hercules and Iolaus in the near future. That'll

solve that flying hydra problem P.D.Q.

Major Tom :sneaky: