Limited Power Campaign Premise

Revenant

In an uncharacteristic spark of creativity I came up with a very basic premise for a campaign and was wondering if anyone ever tried anything like it or sees potential handicaps or benefits from it.

All powers are possible to be bought, but all powers are variants of TK. So, for instance, the brick would either have a no range TK or buy Str with the SFX of innate TK rather than simple enhanced str. A fire blaster could telekinetically cause friction in air molecules such that it ignites them into flames.

Any other power suggestions along these lines?

Re: Limited Power Campaign Premise

Specifically focused TK powers could be used for almost any SFX of any power, with the exception of telepathic and purely mental powers. Although with a major stretch you might be able to fit those in as well.

Considering that at the most extreme levels, you can call it something like rearranging items/cells at the molecular level. Biokinesis and any other -kinesis out there are just the tip of the iceberg.

I think the possibilities are still pretty wide. I often build my characters with the SFX of TK only for a particular substance. I have done Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Wood, Metal, Sand, Hair (like Medusa of the Inhumans), Oil (and Sludge), and Blood (icky) among others. All the characters had very different power sets despite being TK based.

It would be difficult to have powers like teleportation, or super speed unless you define it as kinetic energy manipulation.

But it would be fun to try!

IMHO I think a "self-only TK" could be a SFX for superspeed. After all the mind is faster than the body (unless your my wife...hi honey, if you are reading this!).

Teleport I think would be hard to justify without the "must pass through intervening space" Lim. Then again, if your character is a "Telekinetic Construct", Teleport might make sense.

Wow, I’m actually working on an outline for a graphic novel based on a similar premise; all powers are TK/psychokinesis based, but with a very limited set of possible effects. Anyway, some power examples for your idea:

Pyrokinesis/Fire-starting: SFX is you increase the speed of molecular movement in an object, thus increasing its heat. Flammable objects will ignite fairly easily. Probably built as a low level RKA with Indirect and Heat/Fire SFX.

Temperature control: Heating or cooling a limited area (and any combat or PER modifiers you can justify for that effect) up to 3 spaces on the temperature scale. Again, you are dealing on the molecular level, increasing or decreasing speed to adjust temperature.

Invisibility: Bending light using TK. would probably have a fringe.

Tactile Telekinesis: Expanding on the TK based extra STR, you can build a whole suite of powers based on not being able to knowingly project your TK energy. This was the explanation for Superboy’s (the clone one, from after Big S died) powers. You can justify Speed, Strength, “invulnerability” (Force Field), Flight, and a whole lot more.

I'd just warn you to keep an eye on Adjustment Powers. Something bought to effect TK Powers, especially "All TK Powers," is going to be extremely effective in this setting. You probably ought to restrict Adjustment Powers for Player Characters as a ground rule for this campaign.

QUESTION: How would someone with inhuman beauty build COM 30+ using TK as a special effect. I just had a player build a character with a huge COM' date=' so I thought I'd ask.[/quote']

I would use a sight and/ or touch Shapeshift with the Makeover adder. The SFX would be that the character telekinetically "lifts and tucks" body features into more attractive shapes. An OAF "mirror" to activate the power would add flavor but is not essential. You could also just buy more COM, perhaps with nonpersistent, and use the same SFX. Cheers.

it reminds me of the tv show, Heroes where those with powers, The Specials had all their super abilities tied to adrenaline, though i am in a bit of loss where illusions, mind control, telepathy fit into tk unless it mentally effects the cerebral cortex. I can see a lot of powers with the Linked adder.