Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Fedifensor

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Each time you activate the power it is going to take Gestures. So' date=' Gesture for a water blast, gesture for another water blast while Force field would just be a gesture to start. Imagine it like a spell caster... each new spell... more gestures.[/quote']

Right, but you said: "Also, you get you power up and running THEN someone drops an entangle/hold on you... poof", which didn't seem to follow. And now I'm not sure what you DID mean by that.

~Gabriel

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a tentative history, and sheet changes to match.

Limited Physical Sense is off the Master List of Limitations. I've changed it to Slightly Impairing because she can remove the wards, and I'd be more comfortable with it as a Side Effect of those wards rather than a Phys Lim because of that- The wards can be drained, suppressed, or dispelled, while this physical limitation doesn't go away, which strikes me as a little screwy given the concept (her wards restrict her sense of touch slightly).

Of course, because the basic wards themselves changed (from Armor to basic PD/ED), it might be a moot point.

I changed the name, since that largely seems to be the problem with the character- the concept is sound, the idea is sound, really, there's very little wrong with the sheet itself. You just don't like the name, or the joke attached , which I'll admit came into your campaign like a guy in the back row of a Philaharmonic performance shouting "FREEBIRD!"

I removed Linguistics entirely, and I'll admit I was using it as a catchall for all the neat obscure languages one finds in tomes of magic. Other methods would be welcome suggestions.

The Ward

Player:

Val Char Cost

13 STR 3

17 DEX 21

15 CON 10

10 BODY 0

18 INT 8

23 EGO 26

15 PRE 5

18 COM 4

13/28 PD 0

13/28 ED 0

4 SPD 13

14 REC 16

34 END 2

25 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 108

Cost Power

18 Mr. Kite's Abjuration: Elemental Control, 36-point powers

19 1) Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points)

19 2) Flight 15", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (37 Active Points)

5 The World Bends To My Will!: Luck 1d6

20 Basic Wards: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) +10 PD (Real Cost: 10) plus +10 ED (Real Cost: 10)

3 Mental Wards: Mental Defense (8 points total)

30 You Have No Defense: Find Weakness 13- with Magical Attacks

40 I'm not the best mage, but I'll have to do: Multipower, 40-point reserve

4u 1) Blackbird: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points)

2u 2) We Can Work It Out: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack) (20 Active Points)

8m 3) Sgt. Pepper's Shield I: Force Wall (14 PD) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

8m 4) Sgt. Pepper's Shield II: Force Wall (14 ED) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

2u 5) It was twenty years ago today... : Cosmetic Transform 8d6 (Myself into Sgt. Pepper and back) (40 Active Points); Limited Target (Myself; -1)

15 The wonder of the Apple SpellBook- lightest digital tome on the market!: Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 10 base + 5 control cost, (15 Active Points)

0 1) Magical Insight- Electronic Defenses: +5 with Cryptography (10 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 8

0 2) I'll just duck out then, shall I?: Teleportation 5" (10 Active Points) Real Cost: 10

0 3) Ooh, bad tear, that: Healing BODY 1d6 (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Mend Clothing (-2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) Real Cost: 3

0 4) Hm, better set the Fresh Air Rune...: Life Support (Self-Contained Breathing) (10 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 7

0 5) Just a moment, a bit tuckered...: Aid REC 1d6 (10 Active Points); Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 6

0 6) The Lighter in the Thumb Trick: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point, Continuous (+1) (10 Active Points); No STR Bonus (-1/2), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), Reduced Penetration (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 4

0 7) I'll just pick this up then, shall I? : Telekinesis (6 STR) (9 Active Points); Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4) Real Cost: 5

0 8) Let's make sure that stays there, shall we? : Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF (10 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) Real Cost: 7

Powers Cost: 193

Cost Skill

3 Acting 12-

3 Computer Programming 13-

3 Concealment 13-

3 Conversation 12-

3 Cryptography 13-

3 Deduction 13-

3 Persuasion 12-

3 Power: Magic 13-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Defensive Magic (3 Active Points) 13-

1 2) KS: Magic (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Personal Wards (3 Active Points) 13-

2 4) KS: Wards (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Scientist

1 1) SS: Archaeology 11- (2 Active Points)

1 2) SS: Chemistry 11- (2 Active Points)

1 3) SS: Electrical Engineering 11- (2 Active Points)

3 Seduction 12-

3 Stealth 12-

Skills Cost: 46

Cost Perk

1 Money: Well Off

1 Reputation: Mage Heroine (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +1/+1d6

1 Reputation: The Ward (Cartomancers) 8-, +1/+1d6

Perks Cost: 3

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Dependent NPC: Arthur, Local Bookshop Owner 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)

5 Distinctive Features: Could Have Been A Model (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: Limited Physical Sense (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

5 Distinctive Features: Always Shows Up In Tarot Divinations as THE WARD, Arcana II (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Small Group)

5 Hunted: Astronomenon 8- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)

10 Hunted: The Star Mage 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Unknown Organization, Probably The Third Eye 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code Vs. Killing (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Feels Naked Without Her Wards Up (Common, Strong) [Notes: Her Basic Wards have been up so long that she feels very uncomfortable removing them; this leads to some other nasty side effects (Limited Touch, DF).]

15 Psychological Limitation: Lonely (Very Common, Moderate)

5 Reputation: Bit of a Cold Fish, 8-

5 Rivalry: Professional (Astronomenon; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

5 Social Limitation: Fear of Commitment (Occasionally, Minor)

10 Social Limitation: House is Haunted (Frequently, Minor)

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

From a very young age, Sara Kite was shown to have an aptitude with magic. Mischevious and full of energy, sometimes, she just made certain things vanish. Cards, small coins, on one occasion a large play ball she had caught with her face. Her luck, also, was undeniable, winning against most of the other children in Snakes and Ladders and other similar games.

You'd think this kind of thing might make her popular, or at least, make other students somewhat wary. But surprisingly, it evaded most of the kids' attentions, until early on in second grade, when the school psychologist approached her parents about putting her in an accelerated program. They agreed, and she was whisked off to another school, still public, where she didn't know anyone, felt alone, and her intelligence and perspicacity failed to impress. Still, there were those inexplicable moments where she could make things disappear, or reappear, or deal out just the way she wanted them.

And then there were the special classes. These were the ones she didn't have with anyone else. Well, there was Ryan, but he was a boy, so it didn't count really. And they were taught by the same psychologist who put them in the advanced program. They learned all kinds of neat stuff- like how people moved, and how stars aligned, and how if you worked your mind just right, amazing things happened.

It slowly dawned on Sara over the next five years that many of her peers, even in the accelerated classes, did not have this ability. She considered it odd, but really didn't set herself apart from her peers until the day she almost decided to fly home. Their gasps of shock as she started to float a foot off the ground quickly taught her that showing off what she'd learned might not be the best thing to do.

Middle school came around, and with it, a stricter social strata than elementary school. Quickly ostracized because she had to occasionally leave class for no apparent reason- to see the same psychologist!- Sara finally had the nerve to ask what, precisely they were learning.

"Magic, of course," he responded, and subsequently revealed himself as not only Dr. Collins, psychologist, but also as The Star Mage, a man whose identity Sara still does not truly know. With that, Ryan and her educations began in earnest. The Star Mage taught many things to them over middle school, but most importantly, he taught control. Tight control. When Sara's powers started to flare immensely in freshman year of high school, that tight control saved her life- and Ryan's, as well, when his powers began to spread like wildfire.

With this newfound power, Ryan started to treat their classmates like playthings- an attitude Sara objcted to. Having seen Primes on TV, Ryan took a mask and a name.

This was not something Sara was going to let pass. But when she approached the Star Mage, all he asked was:

"Well, what are you going to do about it?"

She soon set to work researching every protection the Star Mage could find for her. After several weeks' hard work, she enacted her first true ward over the school- which prevented Ryan's pranks, albeit temporarily. The feeling of triumph, of correctness, was impossible for the young girl to ignore. She wanted to use magic. She wanted to protect people. She told the Star Mage as much.

"With laws being as they are, Sara Kite can't do that," The Star Mage noted, idly.

"Then I'll make someone who can." the next few days were set towards making a transformation. A good one! One she could be proud of using! One that would have her favorite things of all! She'd wanted red hair... and green eyes... you couldn't forget the pink, of course, and a name... Something good. She looked around, trying to find an inspiration.

She happened upon her cartomancy deck. Eh, she had a moment, why not ask the cards? She shuffled the deck, flipped the first card, and got a card completely unknown to her: Her, just as she had envisioned her new identity, save with a blank, white face, and floating sigils all about her. At the top, II, taking the place of the High Priestess. At the bottom? "THE WARD".

Of course, where Magical Girls go, monsters soon follow, and Sara Kite's life became one of daring and adventure as she foiled not only Ryan, but other arcane threats to the student body, all while learning from the inscrutable Star Master at Ryan's side. Of course, they both knew, and the uneasy truce that existed between them in the classroom only served to make the battles more intense with each passing month. They even helped each other out when they weren't at each other's throats.

It all came to a head senior year, when, foiling Ryan's bid to become a god of Arcana, a greater threat appeared, which nearly destroyed them both. It took all of both their respective abilities to bring this one down, and while they didn't like each other, a sort of mutual respect emerged- they may foil one another, hurt one another, but if something outside this private little war came through, they'd both face it. And whoever won first would gloat.

The Ward and Ryan went their separate ways to college, the Star Mage releasing them from his tutelage. They'd taught each other well, and now it was time to see how they expanded into other disciplines.

Sara eventually used her knowledge of magic and defenses to become something of a trained expert at cryptography, getting a degree in the subjects from Cal Tech. As arcane threats emerged, The Ward temporarily resurfaced, and Sara realized that her time in the spotlight, albeit unwanted, was probably drawing near...

Returning to Thebes, Sara bought an old house in the northwest corner of the Market District- specifically, the one where that old kook McCreedy used to live.

How was she supposed to know his familiar had gotten around with the rats in the basement...? Needless to say, she got the job, and they pay her rent and their half of the food bill, mostly with technical writing. This allows her to live quite comfortably (though she has some problems getting them to pay up on time), and the balance is made with luck... and a little bit of playing the markets when she gets special foreknowledge.

Alright' date=' last tweak for the night. I didn't spend my five XP yet, but found ways to make everything else work, I think. Wound up rethinking his costume when he started to look a little too much like a bald Prince Namor... :)[/quote']

Character pic looks a LOT like Engram.

Powers: Fireball: Energy Blast 9d6, Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points)

Again, this is over the power limits. I will allow an 8d6 Explosion (60 active points). It even saves you a point. You can take the point and put it in smother fires (bringing it up to 15d6).

Besides that it looks good.

Right, but you said: "Also, you get you power up and running THEN someone drops an entangle/hold on you... poof", which didn't seem to follow. And now I'm not sure what you DID mean by that.

~Gabriel

Sorry, I am still taking 7.5 mg Hydrocodens. I mean a grab or entangle will keep you from performing your gestures (as long as the special effects of the grab or entangle include the hands).

Sorry' date=' I am still taking 7.5 mg Hydrocodens. I mean a grab or entangle will keep you from performing your gestures (as long as the special effects of the grab or entangle include the hands).[/quote']

It's cool. I once lost track of an entire week because my orthodontist prescribed vicodin after ripping out four impacted wisdom teeth. ;)

For some reason drugs and I have never meshed well.

~Gabriel

Character pic looks a LOT like Engram.

That's what I get for posting right before bed. Grabbed the wrong pic, an interim step with a far less useful program.

Powers: Fireball: Energy Blast 9d6, Explosion (+1/2) (67 Active Points)

Again, this is over the power limits. I will allow an 8d6 Explosion (60 active points). It even saves you a point. You can take the point and put it in smother fires (bringing it up to 15d6).

Besides that it looks good.

Done and done. And resubmitted for you.

I've started a list of Thebes applications in post #302.

Missing Ao Kuang.

Incidentally, having trouble deciding what he should be called in English;

'Sea Dragon'

'Dragon King'

'Immortal Dragon'

'the Taoist Immortal'

'Lord of the Eastern Sea'

And that doesn't even touch the possibilities that tie into his background.

~Gabriel

That's what I get for posting right before bed. Grabbed the wrong pic, an interim step with a far less useful program.

Done and done. And resubmitted for you.

Stats are fine.

Powers: Put the Power Defense in you Force Field slot and take it down to 5 points.

Were are you going to spend your 2 remaining points and xp?

Missing Ao Kuang.

'Sea Dragon'

'Dragon King'

'Immortal Dragon'

'the Taoist Immortal'

~Gabriel

I personally shy away from making character names that immediately put me on a pedistal. The final name is up to you.

I personally shy away from making character names that immediately put me on a pedistal. The final name is up to you.

Usually I do too, but there are two things I'm considering in this case. One, Chinese mythic figures always have extravagant names, and that's the cultural background he's modeling himself after. Two, he took the name when he was considered a supervillain. Villain names are always a little more over-the-top than their heroic equivalents.

When DC created a Chinese superteam, the Great Ten, their names included such humble treasures as

'the Accomplished Perfect Physician'

'August General-In-Iron'

'Celestial Archer'

'Ghost Fox Killer'

'Immortal Man In Darkness'

'Mother of Champions'

'Seven Deadly Brothers'

and those guys were heroes. Imagine what their villains called themselves.

~Gabriel

Missing Ao Kuang.

'Sea Dragon'

'Dragon King'

'Immortal Dragon'

'the Taoist Immortal'

~Gabriel

i think dragon king works

Stats are fine.

Powers: Put the Power Defense in you Force Field slot and take it down to 5 points.

Were are you going to spend your 2 remaining points and xp?

Wondering if we have different versions of the app or something - I only calculated out having a single unspent point - not sure how I missed even that, but there you are.

Anyway, moved the PowD into the force field, and spent the remaining point plus 5 xp on a contact and two points into my Deduction skill.

Hero Machine didn't have anything that fit his look, so I tried the new Portuguese forward-facing option.

Ao Kuang ('Dragon King') in armor:

AoKuang.jpg

And as Gordon Lau, his false American identity (with tailor-made shirt to cover his tattooed neck; he tells people he has a rash):

Suit.jpg

~Gabriel

So' date=' I've heard from Zac, but do any of the potential Thebes players have feedback on Inertia? Turnabout is fair play, after all. ;)

Did you intend to make your Ball Toss power Stun only? I wasn't sure if you intended for it to be a totally safe takedown power or not.

And Zac gave me grief about my enraged - how comfortable are you with the notion that you do have a power that could kill someone (and cheaply, maybe just a few pennies sent at terminal velocity), say someone you think is committing murder, because you lose your cool?

Did you intend to make your Ball Toss power Stun only? I wasn't sure if you intended for it to be a totally safe takedown power or not.

It isn't totally safe. It's possible for a windstorm to take a piece of straw and imbed it into an oak tree, so even a rubber ball is going to do BODY damage at that speed. Heck, by game mechanics, it's possible for the rubber ball to do more damage than the rock against low PD targets. I can't really rationalize the attack being STUN only. If I want to take someone down without doing much BODY, I'll reduce the dice and/or pull my punch (I don't have the Beam limitation on Ball Toss). I can also cage foes with the Force Wall from Sudden Stop, or redirect their movement with Momentum Shift, or throw them with Object Acceleration...or just punch them, if they're agents.

And Zac gave me grief about my enraged - how comfortable are you with the notion that you do have a power that could kill someone (and cheaply, maybe just a few pennies sent at terminal velocity), say someone you think is committing murder, because you lose your cool?

Witnessing a murder is less common than seeing a drug deal, and it's almost always clear that the person committing the crime is a bad guy. Undercover cops don't murder innocent people. The enraged is a legacy of his upbringing, due to the injuries his mother suffered and the obsession his father had for years. I expect it will eventually be bought down to an 8-, but will always be a part of the character.

That is also why the character has a reluctance to kill, but not a stronger restriction versus killing. He realizes that sometimes even a hero has to use lethal force...but it is his last option. If nothing else, he wants to avoid anything that would have people compare him to Terminal Velocity.

So' date=' I've heard from Zac, but do any of the potential Thebes players have feedback on Inertia? Turnabout is fair play, after all. ;)

The only thing that really jumps out at me is how high his strength is. I didn't expect that. He'll be able to use his strength for a lot of things that don't relate to inertial movement at all (crushing rocks in his bare hands, for example), and it doesn't seem to follow from the rest of his profile that he'd have that sort of generic superhuman strength.

~Gabriel

The only thing that really jumps out at me is how high his strength is. I didn't expect that. He'll be able to use his strength for a lot of things that don't relate to inertial movement at all (crushing rocks in his bare hands' date=' for example), and it doesn't seem to follow from the rest of his profile that he'd have that sort of generic superhuman strength.[/quote']

He is tougher than a normal human, able to withstand the rigors of high velocity (which is why his base PD/ED is 14 even with the FF off, and why he has a 25 CON). His strength is partially derived from a subconscious acceleration applied to himself, increasing the force he can apply to an object. He hasn't realized this ability on a conscious level...and when he does he will buy off the focus limitation on his flight.

He is tougher than a normal human' date=' able to withstand the rigors of high velocity (which is why his base PD/ED is 14 even with the FF off, and why he has a 25 CON). His strength is partially derived from a subconscious acceleration applied to himself, increasing the force he can apply to an object. He hasn't realized this ability on a conscious level...and when he does he will buy off the focus limitation on his flight.[/quote']

Makes sense.

I have a general question: it is my intent for Ao Kuang to be a flying martial artist with some elemental powers. Much like Wonder Woman, except the specific nature of their specialty powers. Given that vague definition, what sorts of stats would you expect?

~Gabriel

I have a general question: it is my intent for Ao Kuang to be a flying martial artist with some elemental powers. Much like Wonder Woman' date=' except the specific nature of their specialty powers. Given that vague definition, what sorts of stats would you expect?[/quote']

Well, when you said Wonder Woman, the first thing I thought was brick, not martial artist (though she's really both). With that 'dragon' thing in your title, I'm expecting you to be pretty strong (30+ STR) and tough (21+ CON, higher than average BODY). As a martial artist, you should have superhuman DEX (21+) and SPD (5+). You should be able to take a few hits as well. I haven't looked at a character sheet for you, so I don't know if you're already thinking along those lines. I'll need to go look at your background to give better feedback.

I think the background was unhelpfully unspecific about his abilities. At the time I was still working things out.

On his own, he is a generic superhuman (again, much like WW). Strong, fast, doesn't age. His physical traits lead a lot of people (himself included) to conclude he's a true Taoist Immortal. He used that to gather a following and protest against the government. After he became a fugitive (for the first time), some of his followers took it upon themselves to train him for his war against the Communist government. Once he felt ready, he went to Taiwan and tried to take over.

His armor is very old and grants the wearer some water-related powers. He, and others, believe that the armor was intended for him alone. I toyed with the idea of him having a few mythic weapons that people either gave him or he stole from the government during his escape from the gulag.

For example, the Green Dragon Crescent Blade, a relic of the Chinese people. Or the Sword of Goujian.

Sometimes it helps to be specific. ;)

~Gabriel

Wondering if we have different versions of the app or something - I only calculated out having a single unspent point - not sure how I missed even that, but there you are.

Anyway, moved the PowD into the force field, and spent the remaining point plus 5 xp on a contact and two points into my Deduction skill.

I recommend taking a bit away from the contact. Get at least +1 with your multipower (3 points).

Hero Machine didn't have anything that fit his look, so I tried the new Portuguese forward-facing option.

Ao Kuang ('Dragon King') in armor:

AoKuang.jpg

And as Gordon Lau, his false American identity (with tailor-made shirt to cover his tattooed neck; he tells people he has a rash):

Suit.jpg

~Gabriel

Character portraits are very nice. And forget about the rash... you keep it concealed because you don't want people to think you are into Asphexia :eek: In case you were wondering, this is a trick that people have been using "in bed" for a few thousand years. Cut off the oxygen to your brain, makes the sensations stronger :thumbup: You were a villian after all... you bad boy you :sneaky: