• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Catalyst: A Champions campaign on Hero Central

Submitting The Ward to Thebes.

Background is fine and stats are fine.

Powers:

You have 2 Force Walls, as 8 point slots.

Sgt. Pepper's Shield I: Force Wall (14 PD) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

Sgt. Pepper's Shield II: Force Wall (14 ED) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

They way they currently read, either of them can be taken down with 1 body of damage from another damage type (so the PD wall will get dropped by a torch and the ED wall will fail against a bullet). Lets say you put up a 7 PD wall and a 7 ED wall. Which one comes first? If the ED wall is first and a thug smokes a 9mm your way, the ED wall will fall and the PD wall with soak it. If you make the walls Transparent (a 1/2 advantage) you max wall strength will be 9 (at a cost of 41, so your multipower would have to bump 1 point). It is perfectly playable as is... you just need to be sure to be on your layering game.

You have a VPP, which is ok. There are a few rules:

1. All powers must be approved BEFORE the start of a scenario. Since we will be playing online, you need to let me know you are "researching" a new spell. Create it in Hero Designer and just drop in your playergm message. Such as....

I am research this:

Magical Insight- Electronic Defenses: +5 with Cryptography (10 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4)

2. A no to a spell means no. For instance, lets say you want to make a spell that gives the Transparent advantage to your force wall... er, no.

3. Anytime you want to add something to your character as a characteristic, make it an AID.

4. If you ask me to do something "on the run" during an adventure, the answer is going to be no. See #1 above. Now, you could resubmit later and I might say yes.

5. All VPP powers must Cost Endurance. If they do not, then add the limitation please. It is not much, but it does require effort/energy to perform your magics.

It is a small VPP, but the chance for abuse is still there.

I notice you have...

Mental Wards: 3 poiints of Mental Defense (8 points total)

I just dont see the other 5 points.

Submissions:

I have seen the following so far:

Cut off date: March 13, 2009. T - 18 days and counting.

Inertia (5 SPD, 24 DEX, 26/24 Defenses, 11 DC energy projector) - accepted character BUT I need the backround and whatnot sumbitted in the .hdc file please. I have seen it seperate.

Engram (5 SPD, 18 DEX, 21/21 Defense, 10 DC mentalist) - submitted character with background and pic, waiting newest revision

Requiem (5 SPD, 23 DEX, 22/28 Defenses, 11 DC energy projector) - submitted character with background and pic, waiting newest revision

The Ward (4 SPD, 17 DEX, 28/28 Defenses, 12 DC artillery/mage) - submitted character with background, waiting newest revision and pic

Ao Kaung (6 SPD, 26 DEX, 20/20 Defense, 10/8 DC Martial Artist) - submitted character, possible revision - waiting on background and pic

I have seen many other characters, but they have not met some requirement: not as an .hdc file, incomplete/missing background, no picture or user has submitted a general idea with nothing else.

Background is fine and stats are fine.

Powers:

You have 2 Force Walls, as 8 point slots.

Sgt. Pepper's Shield I: Force Wall (14 PD) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

Sgt. Pepper's Shield II: Force Wall (14 ED) (Alterable Size) (40 Active Points)

They way they currently read, either of them can be taken down with 1 body of damage from another damage type (so the PD wall will get dropped by a torch and the ED wall will fail against a bullet). Lets say you put up a 7 PD wall and a 7 ED wall. Which one comes first? If the ED wall is first and a thug smokes a 9mm your way, the ED wall will fall and the PD wall with soak it. If you make the walls Transparent (a 1/2 advantage) you max wall strength will be 9 (at a cost of 41, so your multipower would have to bump 1 point). It is perfectly playable as is... you just need to be sure to be on your layering game.

That's the idea- I'm not sure how to illustrate the idea that this is really one force wall that she's adjusting as she goes. suggestions are welcome.

You have a VPP, which is ok. There are a few rules:

1. All powers must be approved BEFORE the start of a scenario. Since we will be playing online, you need to let me know you are "researching" a new spell. Create it in Hero Designer and just drop in your playergm message. Such as....

I am research this:

Magical Insight- Electronic Defenses: +5 with Cryptography (10 Active Points); Gestures (-1/4)

2. A no to a spell means no. For instance, lets say you want to make a spell that gives the Transparent advantage to your force wall... er, no.

3. Anytime you want to add something to your character as a characteristic, make it an AID.

4. If you ask me to do something "on the run" during an adventure, the answer is going to be no. See #1 above. Now, you could resubmit later and I might say yes.

5. All VPP powers must Cost Endurance. If they do not, then add the limitation please. It is not much, but it does require effort/energy to perform your magics.

It is a small VPP, but the chance for abuse is still there.

This is fine. I mostly put in the ones I did as background.

I notice you have...

Mental Wards: 3 poiints of Mental Defense (8 points total)

I just dont see the other 5 points.

That's where 24 EGO comes in. EGO/5 is added to all Mental Defense.

Right now you spend 72 points for Armor, Leaping and Missle Deflection. How about spending 55 points instead?

Cost Power

7 Wu Shu Master: Elemental Control, 14-point powers

20 1) Gravity's Fool: Leaping +12" (14" forward, 7" upward) (Accurate, x8 Noncombat) (27 Active Points)

23 2) Karma Sink: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points)

5 3) Uncanny Reflexes: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 55

Take your 17 points and change your multipower to just be limited as OIF, now and you STILL have 2 points to spare.

While I do like saving points, my first thought was that one of Fed's concerns about a few of the characters who applied for Silverstone was "you'll be a chump if somebody catches you unawares." If I move half of my total defenses to a suit of armor (which, being an OIF, I will probably lose at some point), a force field AND missile deflection that I need to activate, it seems like I'm just begging to be put down. At typical attack for the campaign would knock me senseless in a single hit.

I mean, his defenses are already 5 points below the standard in both PD and ED. Making more than half of his remaining survivability conditional seems to make him pretty flimsy. And he's a former supervillain, so if his cover gets blown he WILL get ambushed.

Is that going to be less of an issue in your campaign?

and a multipower that you do not have to do any fancy tricks to activate (which feels cheesy to me).

Honestly, I didn't want the character to be too dependent on the elemental powers, so I limited the conditions under which he could use them. If that's not an issue, might as well remove the limitations. :)

~Gabriel

P.S. In Hero Designer it says "KS: Criminal Underworld", but for some reason it refuses to export correctly... :confused:

(Posted from my G1 phone)

Dibs on Guardian! A college student who uses a dead hero's powersuit to commit crimes with the help of the Nerd Squad. Have to change his name - maybe Pillager?

(I'd use Animax...but I have plenty of eco-terrorists. ;) )

Aww that's just wrong.

For Thebes, I was actually thinking about a normal. I have the general background but haven't decided on powerset yet. I've been reading some Checkmate comics and dig Captain Boomerang jr. so I may go that route. I really like the new Robin too, so may do a Batman-type just not to dark and brooding (Martial Artist with a utility belt). The third powerset I was considering would be high tech weapons like Blaster rifles, sonic grenades and the like.

The general background is he was an agent of some type (espiange, guardsmen, something American and James Bonds-y). He's really intelligent, and came up with some cool survillence devies to help spy on the enemy. He has now discovered that the Sentry Initutive has stolen his ideas and is using them on the american people. He's a little upset about it. He's decided to become a costumed hero to help improve outlook and get more information and stop the Sentry initiatve.

While I do like saving points, my first thought was that one of Fed's concerns about a few of the characters who applied for Silverstone was "you'll be a chump if somebody catches you unawares." If I move half of my total defenses to a suit of armor (which, being an OIF, I will probably lose at some point), a force field AND missile deflection that I need to activate, it seems like I'm just begging to be put down. At typical attack for the campaign would knock me senseless in a single hit.

I mean, his defenses are already 5 points below the standard in both PD and ED. Making more than half of his remaining survivability conditional seems to make him pretty flimsy. And he's a former supervillain, so if his cover gets blown he WILL get ambushed.

OK, you have a 9 CV, 20 Defenses and a 6 speed. You are not 5 points below the standard for a 6 speed. Now, the point about having Foci is true. It is a disad, so it will come up. I don't anticipate you loosing something you pay points for, but not having access to it because of a situation is likely.

Now the Elemental Control being a limiter I would not worry about to much. It is a control structure, but that being taken away... not unless your elemental control structure is targeted (like a drain).

As far as getting blind sided/ambushed, anything is possible. If they know who you are and where you live, do you think +10 defense are going to mean anything? If you want to base your powers off getting your cover blown, thats fine. I am playing one of those Chump characters who will get owned (in Feds game) if I am caught unaware. I am a suit character, that is part of the limitation of having a suit.

Is that going to be less of an issue in your campaign?

I think a standard "suit" focus scenario goes like this:

You have come into the 5th National Saving and Loan to deposit your paycheck. You wanted to go thru the teller window but the pneumatic tubes are out of order again and you don't want to be the schmuck who gets his check stuck in a tube somewhere. Your landlord is not that forgiving a person. You walk in and look about everything is fine, nothing out of the ordianary beside a lot of other people who would rather be in their car. Man it sure is hot in here, the AC go out too...

Suddenly Fire Bolt melts in through the front door and a half a dozen goons pour in through the door. "This is a stick up. No one do anything heroic and you can all go home to you ugly wife and pitful man." People fall into four catagories about now. One catagory hugs the floor so tight spit wax gets a bad name. The second group looks around, they can't decide on running or joining the spit wax club. Group number three tries to be a hero, this is one low paid guard or off duty cop who gets pistol whipped or worse for his poor choices. Group number four keeps a cool head and tries to be heroic, but will do it on the bad guys terms. So, what are you going to do?

Now, here you are outnumber and outgunned... no suit. Players generally take choice #4 and try to figure out a way to make it happen. If Fire Bolt did not show up and it was just 6 thugs on a mission most heroes would just do #3, knowing that the pistol whippin would bounce. Some would still do #4 because innocents are still involved. This is the classic bringing a knife to a gunfight scenario most focus characters run into.

Simply put, if you get a disad, it will come up. If you take a limitation it will come up.

Honestly, I didn't want the character to be too dependent on the elemental powers, so I limited the conditions under which he could use them. If that's not an issue, might as well remove the limitations. :)

Its 38 points of flavor: a nice little knockback power, a physically weak force wall (though energy protection is nice), and a water shaping power. Its up to you. I was hoping for a Dispel Fire power in the pool, but found the unusual (but neat) water TK instead.

Aww that's just wrong.

For Thebes, I was actually thinking about a normal. I have the general background but haven't decided on powerset yet. I've been reading some Checkmate comics and dig Captain Boomerang jr. so I may go that route. I really like the new Robin too, so may do a Batman-type just not to dark and brooding (Martial Artist with a utility belt). The third powerset I was considering would be high tech weapons like Blaster rifles, sonic grenades and the like.

The general background is he was an agent of some type (espiange, guardsmen, something American and James Bonds-y). He's really intelligent, and came up with some cool survillence devies to help spy on the enemy. He has now discovered that the Sentry Initutive has stolen his ideas and is using them on the american people. He's a little upset about it. He's decided to become a costumed hero to help improve outlook and get more information and stop the Sentry initiatve.

I just sent my semi-finished web pages to Fed via email. Hopefully he can add it to the Catalyst page tonight. It gives more background and might help with character choices.

That's the idea- I'm not sure how to illustrate the idea that this is really one force wall that she's adjusting as she goes. suggestions are welcome.

OK.

40 points of force wall gets you 16 points of defenses (8m). For each 1m from your multipower gives you 2 points of defenses.

41 points of force wall gets you 11 points of defense, transparent. (8m) For each 1m from your multipower gives you about 1.375 defenses.

You could take:

11 PD Force wall, Transparent (8m)

11 ED Force wall, Transparent (8m)

Balancing however would drop from 8 PD/ED to 5/6 or 6/5 PD/ED. If you are looking at using the Force Wall to protect yourself and whoever falls in behind you, then an 11 should be plenty for most attacks. A machinegun is going to be around 2d6 RKA. It would take a fantastic roll to get 12 dmg, so you would be safe in most cases. If the are mixing the lot between standard RKA and incendary RKA (which is an ED attack) they would get owned... but your force wall would still be up :eek:

Alright, I can deal with being dependent on the armor.

Gabriel

Another thought, make the armor just resistant defense and buy up your PD/ED. So, out of the suit you would be ok still.... unless they bring some killing attacks.

If they come after you in your PJs, I would dodge a lot :P

Another thought, make the armor just resistant defense and buy up your PD/ED. So, out of the suit you would be ok still.... unless they bring some killing attacks.

If they come after you in your PJs, I would dodge a lot :P

That's a really excellent idea. And I really should switch something out for Martial Dodge. :thumbup:

~Gabriel

Aww that's just wrong.

A "unique" character would be based on Flashback technology (shudder). I made the agents up ages ago based on a movie where people would "flash" you with a gun and x amount of time had gone by. So, they use a plethora of weapons that have NND effects based on flash defense. There was usual 1 or 2 of them per PC, with very minimal in the way of killing attacks (they did have an RKA Synaptic Rifle - Annurism, etc). Entangles based on EGO vs normal people = people staring into space a long darn time, NND Based on touch (Shudder Gernades), etc. Very, very nasty. The first time a hero group runs into Flashback, Flashback gets away... every time. Second time, its anyones guess. Third time, the gig is up... players dont hold back or they have invented anti Flashback techniques.

Fed was adamant he would not be pleased if they showed up in Thebes, as Inertia would get owned ;)

I say this because a character based on "company/prime" interdiction work would be kinda neat. I would stay away from wetwork in my history :mad:. Think of items the government would use to capture Primes and have at it.

I think a more or less normal guy, with some advanced armor and some tools of the trade is very doable on 350 points. Throw in some law enforcement abilities (FED: How much would PIT License be? 5 or 10 points?) and contacts... you would have a solid character. I mean, all you really need to be a lawman is some decent armor and a gun. Judge Dread did it for how long? :D

I think a more or less normal guy, with some advanced armor and some tools of the trade is very doable on 350 points. Throw in some law enforcement abilities (FED: How much would PIT License be? 5 or 10 points?) and contacts... you would have a solid character. I mean, all you really need to be a lawman is some decent armor and a gun. Judge Dread did it for how long? :D

Cripes, I wrote that very guy up last night - not for this campaign, but just to work out some ideas I had bouncing through my wee little brain.

Checkmate, if you want to see what I have, just for ideas, PM me and I'll send you the sheet. He's about 25 disad points and a decent backstory from done, but he might jog some ideas for you.

OK.

40 points of force wall gets you 16 points of defenses (8m). For each 1m from your multipower gives you 2 points of defenses.

41 points of force wall gets you 11 points of defense, transparent. (8m) For each 1m from your multipower gives you about 1.375 defenses.

You could take:

11 PD Force wall, Transparent (8m)

11 ED Force wall, Transparent (8m)

Balancing however would drop from 8 PD/ED to 5/6 or 6/5 PD/ED. If you are looking at using the Force Wall to protect yourself and whoever falls in behind you, then an 11 should be plenty for most attacks. A machinegun is going to be around 2d6 RKA. It would take a fantastic roll to get 12 dmg, so you would be safe in most cases. If the are mixing the lot between standard RKA and incendary RKA (which is an ED attack) they would get owned... but your force wall would still be up :eek:

Hm. Done.

Regarding campaign setting: What is the current view on therapeutic magic/ esoteric medicine? I might adjust her points a little to allow her to practice in the red light district (and thereby also make money by going where others won't).

Hm. Done.

Regarding campaign setting: What is the current view on therapeutic magic/ esoteric medicine? I might adjust her points a little to allow her to practice in the red light district (and thereby also make money by going where others won't).

There is a district very similar to the French Quarter in New Orleans. If you want to open a small shop and sell New Age Healing Crystal, pendants, whatever... you are more than welcome to. Small business owners are not perks, you have to work at it. My toon in Fed's game is a small business owner (Spitfire Transportation - she has a Panther Helicopter). Depending on the type of business effects role playing. I would assume you business would operate at night (say 6 PM to 1 AM) Tuesday thru Saturday. There are other questions: do you do house calls? Are you just a healer? Do you perform any other magic services (tarot, crystal ball, etc). Do you actually perform magic, or is it just smoke and mirrors? Etc.

There is a district very similar to the French Quarter in New Orleans.

I set up her house there (northwest portion of Market District); this is a large part of why I'm asking.

If you want to open a small shop and sell New Age Healing Crystal, pendants, whatever... you are more than welcome to. Small business owners are not perks, you have to work at it. My toon in Fed's game is a small business owner (Spitfire Transportation - she has a Panther Helicopter). Depending on the type of business effects role playing. I would assume you business would operate at night (say 6 PM to 1 AM) Tuesday thru Saturday. There are other questions: do you do house calls? Are you just a healer? Do you perform any other magic services (tarot, crystal ball, etc). Do you actually perform magic, or is it just smoke and mirrors? Etc.

I was thinking a small herbalist's shop/alchemic apothecary, perhaps. If/when I attain an apprentice, this is probably what said apprentice will be up to; until then, I deal alone with people who are unwilling or perhaps unable to go to a normal doctor- or even trust an herbalist's opinion more!

House calls would likely be rare and/or cost extra, if only because if you have to call the herbalist in for a house call you should be in serious trouble and/or there are likely to be certain... complications.

As for whether I actually do magic, the answer is 'yes'. However, it's restricted to, as I stated above, herbalist's potions/salves, etc. Less "Earth-shattering healing abilities", more "Oh, she makes teas and things. Cleared up my cold really quickly." and "Well, this one time I came to her with... an odd complaint, and she mixed something up for me right there."

I set up her house there (northwest portion of Market District); this is a large part of why I'm asking.

Market District – an area that experienced a renaissance before the Battle of Center City. Known for its redbrick streets with gas lights. It houses the middle and upper class love of movies, wine and song. Something akin to the French Quarter in New Orleans. An upper class red light district rests in the north western edge of the district.

By red light district, I mean prostutition and OTHER illegal activities (opium tea houses for one). You might want to pick another section of the market district. When Fed posts my campaign info online, take a look at the map. You may have a better feel from it.

I was thinking a small herbalist's shop/alchemic apothecary, perhaps. If/when I attain an apprentice, this is probably what said apprentice will be up to; until then, I deal alone with people who are unwilling or perhaps unable to go to a normal doctor- or even trust an herbalist's opinion more!

House calls would likely be rare and/or cost extra, if only because if you have to call the herbalist in for a house call you should be in serious trouble and/or there are likely to be certain... complications.

As for whether I actually do magic, the answer is 'yes'. However, it's restricted to, as I stated above, herbalist's potions/salves, etc. Less "Earth-shattering healing abilities", more "Oh, she makes teas and things. Cleared up my cold really quickly." and "Well, this one time I came to her with... an odd complaint, and she mixed something up for me right there."

Ok, so you are an herbalist. Do you have a bent as to the style: Eastern, Western New Age, etc. You need to put some of your KS that way and I recommend a PS: Apothacary/Herbalist. MOST of the NW section of the Market District has an Eastern feel. Not so much a China town, but definiate asian.

Market District – an area that experienced a renaissance before the Battle of Center City. Known for its redbrick streets with gas lights. It houses the middle and upper class love of movies' date=' wine and song. Something akin to the French Quarter in New Orleans. An upper class red light district rests in the north western edge of the district.[/size']

By red light district, I mean prostutition and OTHER illegal activities (opium tea houses for one). You might want to pick another section of the market district. When Fed posts my campaign info online, take a look at the map. You may have a better feel from it.

Yes, I know! That's why she'd have a practice there- what better place for a superhero to set up shop than in a hotbed of iniquity? And what better place to set up a for-pay clinic than in a place that's thick with prostitutes who are unwilling or unable to go to a normal doctor and yet able to pay?

Ok, so you are an herbalist. Do you have a bent as to the style: Eastern, Western New Age, etc. You need to put some of your KS that way and I recommend a PS: Apothacary/Herbalist. MOST of the NW section of the Market District has an Eastern feel. Not so much a China town, but definiate asian.

Not certain. Currently leaning toward the Eastern. Already making those changes. Keep in mind that this is largely a matter of "integration"- 'how does Sara Kite fit into the community as of the start of the campaign?' question. As of last revision, she's a recluse who lives in the old haunted mansion... I'd like to change that just a bit.

Look here.

Please tell me that's new, and I didn't just overlook it. :o

At the moment Ao Kuang has 8-10 DC attacks as opposed to the standard 9-11 DC for a martial artist (of the same speed and Dex). Should I give him another rank of +1 HTH DC, or would the damage be considered a trade-off for the armor multipower?

~Gabriel

Engram

1. Nothing on you character real speaks to me why he is a hero. He looks like he would just be a University Professor or a contract agent for a think tank. You even say as much under his personality/motivation.

I think I tried to portray the why in his background - first, he's a Prime, and if you woke up with super powers, wouldn't your first question be "where do I go for the nifty jumpsuit?" and second, he wants to be a role model for other young Hispanic men. If he could be both a professor (or other, see below) and a public Prime, that would be twice the good.

2. Nothing on you character's disads shows me he would not manipulate people at will for any darn reason he liked.

I did post about this when Fed brought it up. I guess I don't have any disads that would bind me to behaving myself, but would definitely role play it that way. Do you have any suggestions for Psych Lims, say, that would satisfy you that he not only wouldn't, but couldn't, abuse his powers?

Also, you skill level is high enough why not move a few skills around a tad and join the Metahuman studies department OR become a private contractor (like a mental PI, what is becoming popular with the new tv shows today). Just a thought.

Tell me more about this option - I'm curious just what, exactly, you're thinking - like an investigator of the paranormal, or as a regular gumshoe with some advanced tools in his kit?

Requiem

1. On your damage shield, put the NND as LS: Intense Heat, Hardened ED, 10+ rED.

RAW doesn't allow for an NND defense to be based on a certain value of a conventional defense - is that a house rule for Catalyst?

I recommend keep the power personal with about 4 penality skill levels. After you run into some situations where you need to protect others from a hail of gunfire, get the ranged advantage on the power (see above).

I wasn't very well versed with penalty skill roles before this batch of characters. I'll reconsider how best to invest those skill points before I resubmit.

RAW doesn't allow for an NND defense to be based on a certain value of a conventional defense - is that a house rule for Catalyst?

Well, I can address this one. I haven't seen the outright prohibition of having a value level as part of the NND conditions in the book (feel free to provide a page reference), but it is legal for Catalyst. It arose out of the old Adventurer's Club adventure "What Rough Beast", where a radiation monster's NND can be stopped by (among other things) a certain level of resistant ED in a Force Field.

The primary reason for this is that Force Field by itself is considered a sufficiently common defense for an NND. If you want to add other things, and not make the NND too weak for the +1 advantage, you can set the FF to be a certain amount to qualify. This also prevents characters from taking just a few points of a wide variety of powers to get coverage versus NNDs. I've seen more than a few characters with a 5 PD/5 ED Force Field, and 1-2 points each of Mental Defense, Flash Defense, and Power Defense.