Useless Hero Facts

jwpacker

Re: Useless Hero Facts

No, no he couldn't.

**looks for a smilie of someone blowing their own brains out**

The didn't call it 'Golden Age' because it was so great, but because the whole thing stank of ammonia.

If you see what I mean.

Actually Silver Age can be worse.

(Announcer) "Enraged by Sean Waters' suggestion, AmazingDude flies into Outer Space. Where, grabbing the Earth's Moon, he throws it at Sean at Supersonic speeds!"

(Amazing Dude's thought) "Luckily, I did not throw the moon at full strength, it could crack the planet in half!"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'll cause some whiplash...

Interesting, it occurred to me that you could build a rather interesting Warp Gate effect with Stretching:Megascale.

So I hopped into HeroDesigner and it wouldn't let me apply it because Stretching isn't considered a Movement Power, Affect an Area or a Ranged Power.

Next I pulled out 5ER and read up on them both. Stretching is a Standard Body Effecting Self Only Power. And reading up on Megscale it doesn't have any of the qualifications that Advantage places as a requirement for use.

It seems, that while Stretching involves a distance of some nature, it really isn't eligible for Megascale.

Though it seems to me is could be a logical exception to the rule. . .

Hero Designer aside, per Steve Long it is possible to apply Megascale to Stretching. I think he described it as “Silly, but legal.”

So can I apply Megascale to Growth so that my character measures his height in Astronomical Units?

I didn't expect my little offhand comment to generate so much discussion...but it is admittedly a truly bizarre idea.

For the record, I don't seriously think it's technically legal although I suppose the person running the game could allow it.

It might require buying Megascale more than once. That is, unless I want to measure my height in astronomical units but my area with regular hexes. Or vice versa. Or can I buy Megascale with volume?

What strikes me as weird is that my density would be attenuated. :think:

Megascale does NOT apply to mass so I'd be

:jupiter:A GAS GIANT:saturn:

:eek:

Lucius Alexander

If you mean

just say it. We're all adults here.

Actually, we're not – there are minors who access these forums. However, the palindromedary turns 18 this year.

It might require buying Megascale more than once. That is, unless I want to measure my height in astronomical units but my area with regular hexes. Or vice versa. Or can I buy Megascale with volume?

What strikes me as weird is that my density would be attenuated. :think:

Megascale does NOT apply to mass so I'd be

:jupiter:A GAS GIANT:saturn:

:eek:

Now you getting all nebulous on us.

Hero Designer aside' date=' per Steve Long it is possible to apply Megascale to Stretching. I think he described it as “Silly, but legal.”[/quote']

Yeah HD is a tool. Hence pulling out the book. I didn't think to look and see if the FAQ had any say on the matter though. . .

I think in certain contexts Stretching Megascaled could be doable.

"In the early 22nd century Warp Space was discovered. Opening the portal to warp space was troublesome, a linear increase in mass of the object being used to open the Warp Hole cause an exponential increase in Energy. It was discovered that the optimal mass size to open the Warp Hole was about the size of a small sedan. Once open though the Warp Hole could have just about any sized object pushed through it with only minor energy expenditures. Unfortunately if you didn't follow the path of the opening object almost exactly you tended to leave Warp Space as debris. . .

About a decade later the Warp Tether was invented. A ship mounted a Warp Gater to the bow and launched it; opening the hole, and then using the attached tether line to follow it through to the other side safely."

Stretching: Megascale :D

I like this system... I can think of a use for just about anything.

"In the early 22nd century Warp Space was discovered. Opening the portal to warp space was troublesome, a linear increase in mass of the object being used to open the Warp Hole cause an exponential increase in Energy. It was discovered that the optimal mass size to open the Warp Hole was about the size of a small sedan. Once open though the Warp Hole could have just about any sized object pushed through it with only minor energy expenditures. Unfortunately if you didn't follow the path of the opening object almost exactly you tended to leave Warp Space as debris. . .

About a decade later the Warp Tether was invented. A ship mounted a Warp Gater to the bow and launched it; opening the hole, and then using the attached tether line to follow it through to the other side safely."

Sweet build for a Warp Tug concept. As big a fan of the concept of the Jump Drive as I am, I may steal this idea for my next Star Hero game...

Could a character apply MegaScale to his Stretching?

Unless the GM objected, yes — though it sounds like a pretty weird and silly power. ;)

Assuming a character had the means to sense a target miles away, could he apply MegaScale to his Stretching and make a HTH Combat attack at enormous distances?

Yes, though of course the GM should veto any power construct that defies common sense, dramatic sense, or game balance, or which seems just too ridiculous for the campaign.

Does that mean that Stretching would work with Transdimensional as well? :sneaky:

Does that mean that Stretching would work with Transdimensional as well? :sneaky:

I think that's a nonsequetor. Running works with Megascale but not Transdimensional.

Now, you could use Transdimensional on STR....

Lucius Alexander

Megapalindromedary

Hmm. XDM allows you to travel to the past. The advantage 'transdimensional' doesn't apply to travel powers as such but it can apply to, for instance, HtH attack, which works handily with stretching. Presumably therefore one of the dimensions you can transdimensionally attack into is the past.

You can see where this is going, can't you...

So...combat starts. I punch my opponent in the past - before combat started. His defences are down and he's out of combat, so he is 0 OCV and takes double damage.

Oh Lordy...

So...combat starts. I punch my opponent in the past - before combat started. His defences are down and he's out of combat, so he is 0 OCV and takes double damage.

When you´re out of combat, your OCV is 0? I guess that makes sense... since you´re not attacking anything.

DCV is only halved, but so are all hit location modifiers too, right?

And I´d rather punch someone so hard I knocked them into LAST Tuesday...

;)

Actually Silver Age can be worse.

(Announcer) "Enraged by Sean Waters' suggestion, AmazingDude flies into Outer Space. Where, grabbing the Earth's Moon, he throws it at Sean at Supersonic speeds!"

(Amazing Dude's thought) "Luckily, I did not throw the moon at full strength, it could crack the planet in half!"

Of course, even at Supersonic speeds (in a vacuum?), Sean Waters has about 20 minutes to dive for cover and avoid being hit by the Moon. He would have to dive about 1800 km to avoid being hit, or about 900,000" on the hex map. All Sean would need is a movement power with one level of megascale on it to be able to get out of the way in time. And enough END and/or recovery to keep using it constantly for 20 minutes. Lacking Megascale, he'd need a NCV of about 2250" (assuming a 4 speed) to make it to safety.

Unless I've botched something up with the time scale. It has been a while since I converted from Turns to Minutes, and I don't have my books handy.

Doc

I thought you couldn't apply megascale to any self-affecting power (growth' date=' stretching, etc) but maybe that's just what it ought to be.[/quote']

Being that Stretching involves specific inches of measurement (how far one can stretch), it's viable (though weird) to apply Megascale to it. Growth and Shrinking, because they are causing a multiple increase/decrease of whatever height/width/length the character already has means they aren't valid recipients for Megascale (IMO).