Need some help with gadgets

dei1c3

So after helping several of my players (who are all new to Champions) write up their characters with no problems, one of them finally stumped me. Basically, he wants a few minor gadgets that I am not sure how to write up. They are:

- A remote control camera he can attach to a wall or something and be able to see what it sees

- A tracking device he can attach to villains, vehicles, etc...

- A device to trick key card readers (remember that scene in Terminator 2 when young John Connors gets money from the ATM machine?)

Thoughts?

Any and all help is, as usual, appreciated.

Chris

I would probably do the tracking device as a form of Clarsentience, only to know location of tracking device (-1), IAF (-1/2), must be physically placed (-1)

Note that having a bunch gizmoes like these practically begs for a "utility belt" multipower with 20-40 active points. Each slot being a different gadget you can pull out when you need it.

Re: Need some help with gadgets

- A remote control camera he can attach to a wall or something and be able to see what it sees

Clairsentience, possibly with Eidetic Memory if i records

- A tracking device he can attach to villains, vehicles, etc...

How about Detect Tracking Device - you now need to plant the device itself, and follow it with the tracking indicator. Maybe a multipower with some Megascale, and/or some range penalty offsets to make it longer. Perhaps a limited Mind Scan would work.

- A device to trick key card readers (remember that scene in Terminator 2 when young John Connors gets money from the ATM machine?)

hmmm...Wealth perk and that's my special effect?

comp programming's been suggested - buy the card as a computer with that skill

Transform?

Ooops, bit late, but here's my offering.

As to the camera and tracking device, they'ves already been covered.

Don't forget though, that the card simulation device might also work on locks and alarms, so you might need Lockpicking and Security Systems skills as well. If it is just ATMs, then Computer Programming should do it.

Re: Need some help with gadgets

Originally posted by dei1c3

A tracking device he can attach to villains, vehicles, etc...

From Champions 5e, Chapter 3: Superhero Technology, p. 120.

Images to Radio Group, +4 to PER Rolls, Increased Size (32" Radius; +1 1/4), Usable As Attack (ranged, based on STR; allows character to "stick" the Image to a target; +1 1/4), 1 Continuing Recoverable Charge lasting 1 Week (stops functioning if it gets wet or experiences severe radio interference; +1) (76 Active Points), IAF (-1/2), Image Only Perceivable On Special Radio Frequencies (-0). Total Cost: 51 points.

The item description recommends that the Image be detected at +4 within 32", +2 within 64", +0 within 125", -2 within 250", and with an Extraordinary Skill Roll beyond that.

Re: Re: Need some help with gadgets

Originally posted by Armitage

From Champions 5e, Chapter 3: Superhero Technology, p. 120.

Images to Radio Group, +4 to PER Rolls, Increased Size (32" Radius; +1 1/4), Usable As Attack (ranged, based on STR; allows character to "stick" the Image to a target; +1 1/4), 1 Continuing Recoverable Charge lasting 1 Week (stops functioning if it gets wet or experiences severe radio interference; +1) (76 Active Points), IAF (-1/2), Image Only Perceivable On Special Radio Frequencies (-0). Total Cost: 51 points.

The item description recommends that the Image be detected at +4 within 32", +2 within 64", +0 within 125", -2 within 250", and with an Extraordinary Skill Roll beyond that.

Meanwhile, for 56 active points and 19 real, Takofanes can blot out the sun. Does anyone think this device is worth 51 points?

Here's another stab -

Images to Radio Group, +0 to PER Rolls, Usable As Attack (ranged, based on STR; allows character to "stick" the Image to a target; +1 1/4), 1 Continuing Recoverable Charge lasting 1 Week (stops functioning if it gets wet or experiences severe radio interference; +1), (16 Active Points), IAF (-1/2), Image Only Perceivable On Special Radio Frequencies (-0), set effect - radio beacon (-1). Total Cost: 6 points.

plus

High Range Radio Perception (8 Active Points), OIF (-1/2). Total Cost: 5 points (and useful anyway)

and finally

Telescopic HRRP, +14 vs. range mods (14 active points), OIF (-1/2), only to detect homing beacon (-1). Total Cost: 6 points

All together, 17 points, 5 of which have plenty of other use

Anyway you do the tracking device is going to have some hand waving,

My version of the tracking device:

Tracking Device : Detect A Class Of Things 11- (Tracers), Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range, Sense, Telescopic (+3), Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages Limited Group of Advantages; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1); real cost 15 points

Okay a few things, the Variable Advantage is used for the following list of advantages: Megascale (1"=10m), Megascale (1"=100m), Megascale (1"=1Km), Difficult to dispel.

The actualy focus is on the hand held unit that allows the tracking, the bugs are just a freebee. I also allow a skill roll to be used in the place of a PER roll as a +0 advantage/Limitation. The device needs to be tuned do to the distance involved and has four settings (as the bug gets closer the opperator turns a knob for each distance setting (the above Variable advantage). It is also small enough to fit into a 30 point MP.

Oh and one other thing, by the rules you do not need to purchace the devices if you have the bugging skill

All your suggestions are better than paying 51 pts for a device so simple. As many have said (paraphrased):

"there are many ways of building the same thing in Hero Games..."

to which I add:

"...but some of them should never be built in certain ways in the first place."

Originally posted by Tech

All your suggestions are better than paying 51 pts for a device so simple. As many have said (paraphrased):

Of course, there's always that rule that says if there's more than one way, the expensive way is always right. So I always buy Extra Dimensional Movement, Area Effect, Usable Against Others to a Dimension where I have just fired a 12d6 EB at my target.

Should I put that in a VPP for EDM's only, do you think? :D

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Of course, there's always that rule that says if there's more than one way, the expensive way is always right. So I always buy Extra Dimensional Movement, Area Effect, Usable Against Others to a Dimension where I have just fired a 12d6 EB at my target.

Nah - too much potential for abuse! :P

Originally posted by Jhamin

I would probably do the tracking device as a form of Clarsentience, only to know location of tracking device (-1), IAF (-1/2), must be physically placed (-1)

Yeah that was my first thought too, but Im not sure that the clairsentience power allows you to know the exact (or even approximate) range and bearing of your clairsentience point, realtive to yourself, does it?

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Originally posted by Tech

I have said it before, and I will say it again:

META RULE 6 IS BROKEN

Originally posted by Lucian

Yeah that was my first thought too, but Im not sure that the clairsentience power allows you to know the exact (or even approximate) range and bearing of your clairsentience point, realtive to yourself, does it?

How about absolute range sense, linked to clairsentience? :)