Devils Tower: How to?

Sociotard

Different Native American tribes have different stories about Devil's Tower National Monument. One says that a couple of boys were being chased by a godzilla-sized bear, so the powers-what-are took pity on them and raised the ground up under their feet, forming a monolith with claw marks on the side.

I thought that would make a nice power spell for divine/druid/earth mage characters. I'm just not sure how to do it.

• Entangle It says that if it forms a barrier, the characters stay on top. A good choice if you only want to go up two game inches.
  • Transform Not bad, but it's a stop sign power. Also, I'm not sure how much body is in a big stone tower.
  • Summon This is how they did a "instant base" effect in one of the Hero books.
  • Flight This is kindasorta what we're going for, effect wise. Get up higher? avoid the super bear? With enough advantages and limitations I could see it working.
  • Change Environment Possibly, if it were defined as big penalties to Climbing. A monolith is awfully permanent for Change environment, though.

Re: Devils Tower: How to?

The creation of permanent features is always a bit difficult in Hero. TK is fine in that it allows you to physically move stuff, but it would take a very long time and probably wouldn't be any more permanent than a pile of rocks created with normal strength.

The only 'creation' power in Hero for inanimate objects is transform, and that would do the job, if you use the 'wall' Body rules, and made it a partial transform (so it grows not just appears).

I say 'only', but summon is used to create some inanimate objects, but only those actually bought with character points. It is a bit of a stretch to define a mountain, or mesa, as a vehicle...

I moved us to a dimension without the tree:p

Give a smart enough mob enough reason, and they can improvise and quite handily lynch without a tree nearby. And I think this mob fits on the "smart enough" point. :eg:

But what about a Teleportation Gateway (only for Rock)? Megascale the 1" AoE to fit the size of the Tower, and buy up the Mass multiple to fit it through the gateway in a couple of Turns?

;)

Then just don't worry where the Rock came from. :sneaky:

Flight, only straight up, 1 charge, Area of Effect (Mega), Physical Manifestation.

Add inches to suit, shake well, and figure Real Cost (which won't be much).

Physical Manifestation should take care of the "create an object" problem...

I think we'd need to add Zero END & Uncontrolled to make it stay, instead of 1 charge. Even if the Power has a Physical Manifestation, when the charge expires, so does the power.

And add UAA to make it book-legal, and I think we could have a winner! Good job, Dr. A.! I didn't even think of Physical Manifestation. :thumbup:

Physical manifestation is a cunning approach but does make a massive tower of rock relatively fragile.

I suppose at the end of the day it is what the GM will let you get away with. If all you use it for is putting people on a tower, no problem. It is when people start getting...creative...(by which I mean deriving substantial advantages they have not paid for, like making massive force walls, filling in holes, that sort of thing).

I think we'd need to add Zero END & Uncontrolled to make it stay' date=' instead of 1 charge. Even if the Power has a Physical Manifestation, when the charge expires, so does the power.[/quote']

I'm not quite sure of that, given the fact that a classic example of Physical Manifestation is Iceman's ice slides / ramps, which only melt at the rate normal ice would in the environment in which they'd been created... :sneaky:

Physical manifestation is a cunning approach but does make a massive tower of rock relatively fragile.

Perhaps we could add Armor +X/+X, Linked To Flight, Only To Make Physical Manifestation Tougher?

I suppose at the end of the day it is what the GM will let you get away with. If all you use it for is putting people on a tower' date=' no problem. It is when people start getting...creative...(by which I mean deriving substantial advantages they have not paid for, like making massive force walls, filling in holes, that sort of thing).[/quote']

But, yeah, it raises the same (in my mind) "problem" as when an indestructible suit of armor (OIF) allows damage thought to the wearer.

Just had a thought. How about some form of "Inverse Tunneling?" Normal Tunneling usually makes a space of Air in a substance like Rock. Inverse Tunneling would make a space of Rock (like a Tower) in a substance like Air!

I'm not quite sure of that' date=' given the fact that a classic example of Physical Manifestation is Iceman's ice slides / ramps, which only melt at the rate normal ice would in the environment in which they'd been created... :sneaky:[/quote']

So I can take all of my powers with Physical Manifestation: Indestructium? :rolleyes::)

But, yeah, it raises the same (in my mind) "problem" as when an indestructible suit of armor (OIF) allows damage thought to the wearer.

Just had a thought. How about some form of "Inverse Tunneling?" Normal Tunneling usually makes a space of Air in a substance like Rock. Inverse Tunneling would make a space of Rock (like a Tower) in a substance like Air!

That is a creative approach! Tunneling through air (fills in space behind with rock) :)

Hero lacks a 'serious' creation power at present. It is specifically noted that you can use a major transform to create stuff, but the example given is 4 litres of water per Body rolled - that's OK for filling a fish tank, but it would be nice to have some more impressive results.

You could create using the transform rules, but take the (2xBody+DEF)) of the material to create a 100kg (or 1 hex full for gasses), say with a minimum of 10 - for materials that Body and DEF do not really apply to like liquids and gasses, and then each additional 2 points rolled, you double the mass (or double the volume for gasses).

SO, for instance, Unliving material is 7 Body per 100kg, rock is about DEF 6, so you would need a result of 26 to create 100kg worth, but if you rolled 30 you could create 400kg worth and a roll of 50 would allow you to create 100 tons of rock, and so on. Of course with transform you can make multiple rolls over several phases so you do not have to do it all in one roll.

Obviously the abuse potential is enormous, but at least you get a power that does something 'useful' that Hero does not do well at present.

Hmm. To create fire you would need to create a gas (so a roll of 10 for a hex worth) PLUS you would need to give it powers: say 1 1/2d6 RKA, which is another 25 points worth, and you can use transform to grant powers so you add 25/5 to the 'Body' you need to roll, which means another 10 points, or 20 points rolled for 1 hex of 1 1/2d6 fire, or, if you roll 40, you get a little over 1000 hexes of fire.