How Long Does It Take To Fall?

handleyj

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How Long Does It Take To Fall?

I always thought falling velocity in earth gravity, in the Hero System, assumed an increase of 5" per segement until the falling body achieved terminal velocity of 30" per segement. So at 20" altitude the car would fall 5" on segment 1, 10" on segment two and then the last 5" on segement 3 at which time it would have a velocity of 15".

Speed at the impact = √(2gh) where h=height and g=9.8m/s^2 on Earth's surface.

= √(2*9.8*40) = 28 m/s

A simplification would be to see that as a continual speed so it would take around 40/28= 1.42 secs round up = 2 sec (2 segments.)

See Newton's laws for an accurate result with no initial speed (but that's not very useful in a rpg, imho)

I always thought falling velocity in earth gravity' date=' in the Hero System, assumed an increase of 5" per segement until the falling body achieved terminal velocity of 30" per segement. So at 20" altitude the car would fall 5" on segment 1, 10" on segment two and then the last 5" on segement 3 at which time it would have a velocity of 15".[/quote']

It does :thumbup:

1 segment = 1 second and so an increase of 5" (10 metres) per second (or per segment) in velocity is as near as makes no difference to an increase of 9.8 m per second.

So, 1 segment = 10 metres per second = 10 metres fallen by end of segment

2 segments =20 metres pser second = 30 metres fallen by end of segment

3 segments = 30 metres per second = 60 metres fallen by end of segment

20" is 40 metres so it hits somtime in the third segment doing between 30 and 60 metres per second (15" to 30")

It is all in the falling table.

I don't necessarily agree with the damage progression for falling, but the distance and velocity calculation is simple and elegant.

NB what you can do for more velocity is hold an action, teleport the thing up 20", do so again just as it is about to hit (velocity is preserved for a normal teleport) so it comes out already doing 15" per segment and hits during that segment as if it had fallen 40". You can repeat as often as you can - eventually it will hit before you next get a phase, unless you are SPD 12.

NB2 the rule about halving movement straight up doesn't apply to teleport - I only noticed that recently.

So, 1 segment = 10 metres per second = 10 metres fallen by end of segment

2 segments =20 metres pser second = 30 metres fallen by end of segment

3 segments = 30 metres per second = 60 metres fallen by end of segment

20" is 40 metres so it hits somtime in the third segment doing between 30 and 60 metres per second (15" to 30")

Not quite. It would only fall 10 meters in the first segment if it was going 10 m/s for the entire segment, but it only gets to that speed at the end of the segment. It starts (we're assuming here) with an initial velocity of 0. So it actually has only fallen 5 meters by the end of the first segment. Likewise, during the second segment, it isn't going 20 m/s the whole time. It begins the second segment with a velocity of 10 m/s and ends with 20 m/s, so it actually tavels 15 m for the second segment - a total of 20 m (10") fallen in two segments. And another 25 m in the third segment.

And yes, I'm rounding earth's gravity from 9.8 m/s/s to 10 m/s/s.

Not quite. It would only fall 10 meters in the first segment if it was going 10 m/s for the entire segment, but it only gets to that speed at the end of the segment. It starts (we're assuming here) with an initial velocity of 0. So it actually has only fallen 5 meters by the end of the first segment. Likewise, during the second segment, it isn't going 20 m/s the whole time. It begins the second segment with a velocity of 10 m/s and ends with 20 m/s, so it actually tavels 15 m for the second segment - a total of 20 m (10") fallen in two segments. And another 25 m in the third segment.

And yes, I'm rounding earth's gravity from 9.8 m/s/s to 10 m/s/s.

You're right, but simplicity has many virtues, chief amonst them its simplicity.

Simplicity?

y = (1/2) g t^2

t = sqrt(2 g y)

That's simple. Honestly I don't know what kind of favor people think they're doing themselves by coming up with tables and averages and such. Nothing as simple as a nice little equation like that.

Now I'm sure I'll need my :dyn:P

Pass the brain-spoon :ugly:

6d7a11ba619629d65feb60d02c2687f7.png

ee67789588b734209fd91b80fb3e6cdc.png

where

de88f4b1e6e253c09d2d7443541cdffb.png is the initial velocity (m/s).

93708eca88a7cd53c6c96df6e8146337.pngis the vertical velocity with respect to time (m/s).

5bc97ae888333bcfd3aba31f7cc61767.png is the initial altitude (m).

93686a205678a02400883dc8cd2b7f27.png is the altitude with respect to time (m).

0c68620ee2ea4f1286fcd672a47ea080.png is time elapsed (s).

f31f123f5b510e1c58b2be1990dcada8.png is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s2 near the surface of the earth).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-fall

Simplicity?

y = (1/2) g t^2

t = sqrt(2 g y)

That's simple. Honestly I don't know what kind of favor people think they're doing themselves by coming up with tables and averages and such. Nothing as simple as a nice little equation like that.

This equation only give speed at the impact.

I know Hexadecimal! She was one of the villains on the cartoon "ReBoot"' date=' right?[/quote']

I think so, but she seems to write numbers with letters in them, damn her.

Anyway, there are only 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Unless of course you have a high school diploma' date=' in which case you should know more than enough basic algebra to do such simple calculations.[/quote']

That depends entirely on where you got your high school diploma. The creative use of the lockpicking, stealth and PS Burglar skills are not going to multiply P and I and E. And square it.

Hmmmm.......square pie.......