Victorian Horror Help

Nolgroth

I have a project that I want to work on within a limited time frame. Essentially, the project involves mapping out a fun house with a Victorian Horror theme to it. So, would anybody who is familiar with that sort of genre care to offer some suggestions as to what sort of tropes would make for interesting fun house rooms? The twist?

The fun house is haunted so that the amusements inside are a little more real that the observer would like. :eg:

Once I am done, I will post whatever I get completed. Heck, I may even offer a stat or two, though the specifics of the Twist require a specific game system. Some conversion will be required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Victorian Horror Help

Just off the top of my head, we have;

- Ghosts (hmmm a seance room.....)

- Mad Science (Frankenstein and Jekyll/Hyde)

- Vampires (leaning against this one)

- Jack the Ripper (gotta have something like this)

- Sanitarium

- An old elevator with brass fittings. Probably from a later era, but this would be a "pop" culture interpretation.

Need about another six references.

Hall of Mirrors where all the mirrors have ornate frames that seem to change when you aren't looking at them.

A large intimidating Oak Wardrobe filled with clothes that you need to push through to get to other rooms.

Room filled with gaslight fixtures that flicker on and off. One or more turn to let you out.

Hall of Mirrors where all the mirrors have ornate frames that seem to change when you aren't looking at them.

A large intimidating Oak Wardrobe filled with clothes that you need to push through to get to other rooms.

Room filled with gaslight fixtures that flicker on and off. One or more turn to let you out.

Some excellent suggestions.

Thanks for all the suggestions. A semi-long internet crash (about 14 hours) and a long work day has prevented me from getting back sooner. There are a lot of good ideas here and I am looking at all of them.

Just to clarify a point, I am not looking to run a "Victorian horror" game. I am looking for attractions for a "Victorian horror" -themed fun house. In case I wasn't clear in the first post. The actual adventure is based on a near-future urban fantasy setting.

Thanks again for all the help. :thumbup:

Buried alive! I can see it now, the display would have a graveyard with a cut away section so you can see the interior of the coffin. In the coffin is a mannequin clawing at the lid as the the Mourners stand above ground. As you stare, a claustrophobic begins to come over you as the your vision dims and the smell of wood and earth enters your nostril. You have to get out! You have to make them aware you are not dead. You scream! You pound! You claw! But no sound of shovel reach your hungry ears.

Buried alive! I can see it now' date=' the display would have a graveyard with a cut away section so you can see the interior of the coffin. In the coffin is a mannequin clawing at the lid as the the Mourners stand above ground. As you stare, a claustrophobic begins to come over you as the your vision dims and the smell of wood and earth enters your nostril. You have to get out! You have to make them aware you are not dead. You scream! You pound! You claw! But no sound of shovel reach your hungry ears.[/quote']

Nice. Creepy Rep.

Buried alive! I can see it now' date=' the display would have a graveyard with a cut away section so you can see the interior of the coffin. In the coffin is a mannequin clawing at the lid as the the Mourners stand above ground. As you stare, a claustrophobic begins to come over you as the your vision dims and the smell of wood and earth enters your nostril. You have to get out! You have to make them aware you are not dead. You scream! You pound! You claw! But no sound of shovel reach your hungry ears.[/quote']That is exactly the kind of thing that I am looking at. Take a mundane attraction and add a supernatural twist.

Still have to draw the darn map. ;)

Just off the top of my head, we have;

- Ghosts (hmmm a seance room.....)

I'd suggest incidentally that the seance room would be the part where the previous victims of the house try to warn people of the trouble they're in, so the least dangerous of all the rooms, but the one where they first learn that there's a real problem.

I could swear I saw a fun house map somewhere. Maybe in Champions Battlegrounds?
Actually, I have thoughts of creating my own. Another forum I frequent is having a monthly mapping challenge with the theme being a "chase." My thoughts on the matter is to have the scenario be a chase where the characters are trying to catch a Rat shaman (Shadowrun) who has summoned a Spirit to delay them until he can get out the exit. The Spirit will make free use of things like Accident and other powers to cause mayhem and confusion. Being a chase, there is still a (significant) chance that the characters can catch the target.

If not, I have another project planned after that.

Off to set up the initial layout.