Destroyers Rewrite??

Kilted_Avenger

Hi guys, I'm looking for the 4th ed. source books where the following characters appeared:

1. There was a rewrite of the classic Champions villain team the Destroyers (originally from Enemies II and the adventure Deathstroke). In this rewrite, the team hired a marketing rep who changed several things about the team (e.g. As I recall, Death Song was renamed Requiem).

2. There was a samurai character in a suit of what looked like traditional samurai armor. It may or may not have been hi-tech armor. I think this character was drawn by Fredd Gorham. And the source book that this character appeared in came out about the same time as Allies, The Mutant Files, and Champions Presents #1 (and may have even been one of those books...I don't know). I realize this is vague...sorry.

Your help is most appreciated!!

Re: Destroyers Rewrite??

Hi guys, I'm looking for the 4th ed. source books where the following characters appeared:

1. There was a rewrite of the classic Champions villain team the Destroyers (originally from Enemies II and the adventure Deathstroke). In this rewrite, the team hired a marketing rep who changed several things about the team (e.g. As I recall, Death Song was renamed Requiem).

2. There was a samurai character in a suit of what looked like traditional samurai armor. It may or may not have been hi-tech armor. I think this character was drawn by Fredd Gorham. And the source book that this character appeared in came out about the same time as Allies, The Mutant Files, and Champions Presents #1 (and may have even been one of those books...I don't know). I realize this is vague...sorry.

Your help is most appreciated!!

The Destroyers rewrite was in the 4e edition of "Champions Universe" I believe.

2. There was a samurai character in a suit of what looked like traditional samurai armor. It may or may not have been hi-tech armor. I think this character was drawn by Fredd Gorham. And the source book that this character appeared in came out about the same time as Allies' date=' The Mutant Files, and Champions Presents #1 (and may have even been one of those books...I don't know). I realize this is vague...sorry.[/quote']

Do you remember if this samurai had a full character sheet, or was just an illustration?

Kilted Avenger, in Enemies II the Destroyers were as follows:

Death Singer, Frost, Stinger, Arrowhead, and Death Commando

None were in a Samurai outfit in these illustrations. But you might be thinking of Death Commando-he had a high-tech suit.

P.S. I have Enemies I, II, and III plus classic Enemies if you have any other questions. Be glad to help. :thumbup:

For the Samurai Suit there are two possibilities one is a member of the Supervillain Team in Ninja Hero (which I do not have at the moment, so I can not check the Illoustrator.) and whose Name I forgot, think it was Yusu or such.

The second one, the more likely one, would be Ronin from Enemies for hire. The Interior Pics are by Fredd Gorham. So that seems to be your guy.

There is no Iron in that Ronins name. He has slightly boosted Attributes a KA (Sword), a Jiu Jutsu Package, some Armor (OIF) and a lot of resistance to mental attacks.

Nothing really fancy, expect that he is what you want to throw at a overconfident Mentalist:D.......

Do you remember if this samurai had a full character sheet' date=' or was just an illustration?[/quote']

Getting back late to this, sorry....oh he definitely had a character sheet. Any help you can provide would be great!

Black Ops, yep, I'll bet it was Ronin from Enemies for Hire. THANKS!

Not directly germane, but I used the Destroyers heavily in a couple of my historical Champions campaigns, with some changes and renames.

I called the organization Deathstroke (from the eponymous module) and set it up as more of a COBRA / VIPER like group -- largish mercenary / para-military / supercriminal organization with lots of normal / trained agents, and a handful of superpowered ringleaders modeled after the Destroyers. I renamed / reimagined the superpowered individuals as:

Broken Arrow: nuclear emission / manipulation and superhuman physiology. The "heavy" of the group; kind of a Nuklo oriented character.

Swan Song: sonic screamer, re-factored to be female. A wide variety of effects.

Old Sparky: electric manipulation and energy form. Difficult to deal with in his electrical form.

Killshot: guns and traps

Hypothermic: cold manipulation. Had a lot of Drains and Suppresses vs Physical characteristics, particularly SPD, DEX, CON.

It should be fairly clear which characters are based on which Destroyer, and where I scrapped and replaced.

Some of the Deathstroke usage is alluded to in the Southern Justice background. However the resolution aspect is fictionalized; neither of the two real life groups (Justice Inc and Southern Shield) reached a final resolution of the Deathstroke problem, though the destruction of the Florida base described did occur in the Justice Inc run and represented the effective highmark of that campaign as the real life playing group fell apart very soon thereafter.

Destroyers-as-Deathstroke played a major role in a past campaign of mine as well. I went much further with the group's IMO clever political concept from the Deathstroke module, of government by "crooks who are honest about it," rather than politicians who hide their corruption; and Deathstroke's recruiting operatives from various fringe groups who agreed with their philosophy. In my campaign Deathstroke spearheaded a radical movement which, rather than trying a big terrorist scheme as in the adventure module, gradually gathered the agents, resources and contacts to attempt a serious coup of the American government. In this endeavor Scatterbrain, the mentalist added to the team in their Champions Universe rewrite, and her PR-expert father, proved invaluable.

• 1 month later...

Hi — apologies for coming in late, but I don't get in here very often these days.

Anyway...

I've found the answer on the villain in samurai armor. It was from a piece of art that got used in more than one book.

The character art appears on page 56 of Champions Universe 4E, and on page 170 of Ninja Hero 4E. As Black Ops and Ninja-Bear mentioned, that is the villain 'Hi', member of 'Yooso'.

Champions Universe 4E had a number of original and updated character write-ups, including:

• Ymir
  • The Champions (Seeker, Quantum, Defender, Obsidion, Jaguar, and Solitaire) American Eagle
  • Black Phantom
  • Jotan
  • Victrix
  • Deathstroke (Requiem [Deathsinger/Death Singer], Chiller [Frost], Stinger, Shockwave [Arrowhead], Death Commando, and Scatterbrain)
  • Malachite
  • Doctor Draconis (also from Adventure 3 - Deathstroke)
  • Sniper (Does anyone know if this is an update of Marksman?)
  • Mind Titan
  • Aftermath, Inc. (organization, includes the supers Grunt, Sponge, and Earth-Mover; several normals and a small headquarters are also noted)
  • A handful of law-enforcement personnel are listed
  • The Unique Battalion (Baron Mass, Misstress Strombriar, The Bronze Bandit, and Sister Shadow) these folks are from Anarchy World

A bit of info-overload, I know...sorry about that. :doi:

From FireTiger -"Sniper (Does anyone know if this is an update of Marksman?)"

Looking at my copy, he is not a rewrite of the original Marksman. The Ruler of Crime was introduced in Enemies: The International File and Sniper was part of his background. Crusader (pre retcon to Dark Champions) was a tough Batman type of vigilante, and according to Champions Universe Sniper was to violent for him and stopped working with him.