Regenerating Touch

JohnTaber

Hi Hero Gang: I am helping another GM with a new campaign. One of the players wants a power that sounds simple but I having issues with the buy for some reason.

The player wants a power that heals himself on his phases PLUS anyone else that touches him including bad guys. The healing only work on other people while they are touching the PC. It works even if the PC is knocked out. The healing should NOT cost the PC an action even if other people touch him.

My first instinct is to use Damage Shield but Hero Designer does not allow Healing to use this advantage...Damage Shield is supposedly only for attacks. I bought it like this...

43 Touch Me Regeneration: Healing BODY and STUN (Simplified Healing) 2d6, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (75 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Healing Only Works While Maintaining Contact With The Character (-1/4)

Does that work?

I'm not sure it does because I think this version would still force the PC to make an attack roll against other people to use it on them. Am I wrong in that because of Persistent?

Thoughts?

Re: Regenerating Touch

I'd use Trigger myself.

And this technically needs massive amounts of Decreased Reuse Duration...

Re: Trigger. Trigger specifically states that it should not be used in place of Damage Shield but maybe in this case there are no other options.

Re: Decreased Return Rate. Why does it need decreased reuse? This is the main schtick and only real power on this PC...it doesn't feel like it needs decreased return rate to me...

Re: Trigger. Trigger specifically states that it should not be used in place of Damage Shield but maybe in this case there are no other options.

Re: Decreased Return Rate. Why does it need decreased reuse? This is the main schtick and only real power on this PC...it doesn't feel like it needs decreased return rate to me...

IMHO, Trigger would be acceptable here as Damage Shield can only be taken on Attack Powers.

Decreased Re-use Duration is necessary because Healing can only be used on a Character once every 24 hours, however see the Tracking Injuries option.

I built this based on your basic description before glancing at your build:

45 Regenerating Touch: Healing BODY (Simplified Healing) 2d6, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; Only affects other characters that maintain contact with the owning character; +1), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (125 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Always On (-1/2) - END=0

I'm not even sure that this qualifies for the Always On Limitation but since I did not take a No Range on the UBO portion I think the cost is about right.

I think combining Usable Simultaneously with Continuous, Persistent and Uncontrolled accomplishes your goal.

:cool:

HM

edit

I don't know where the UBO idea came from. As ghost-angel pointed out, just removing Self Only from the book recommended 'Regeneration' build would work. Since I was just starting with normal Healing anyway (already usable on others) here's an update:

38 Regenerating Touch: Healing BODY (Simplified Healing) 2d6, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Only for purposes of activating power when touched. Does not allow power to continue working after contact is broken.; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (105 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Always On (-1/2) - END=0

It's unnecessary since the combination of Continuous, Persistent and Uncontrolled already covers this:

re: Persistent

(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 165; Revised, page 257-258) A Power with this Advantage remains "turned on" even though the character is unconscious.

re: Uncontrolled

(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 175; Revised, page 272) A Constant Power with this Advantage can maintain itself without conscious thought from its user.

Healing; Regeneration 2 Body; 0END; Persistent; Always On; Extra Time (Regeneration Only) 1 Turn

Healing is already No Range - which means the Target must be touched, or Touching you already.

0 END; Persistent means that Power works even when you're unconcious

Always On means you can't turn it off so Enemies can get Healed

Extra Time "Regeneration Only" just turns it into "regeneration Healing" which only gives back Body every Post-12.

removing "Self Only" and with GM Says So means anyone touching you through the Post-12 (depending you could require the Target to hold you from Phase 12 until their next Phase) gets them Regeneration X Body and removes the maximum normally associated with Adjustment Powers (which Simplified Healing also suffers from).

Healing; Regeneration 2 Body; 0END; Persistent; Always On; Extra Time (Regeneration Only) 1 Turn

Healing is already No Range - which means the Target must be touched, or Touching you already.

0 END; Persistent means that Power works even when you're unconcious

Always On means you can't turn it off so Enemies can get Healed

Extra Time "Regeneration Only" just turns it into "regeneration Healing" which only gives back Body every Post-12.

removing "Self Only" and with GM Says So means anyone touching you through the Post-12 (depending you could require the Target to hold you from Phase 12 until their next Phase) gets them Regeneration X Body and removes the maximum normally associated with Adjustment Powers (which Simplified Healing also suffers from).

Hi Ghost Angel: So you are inferring that you do not need Uncontrolled and Continuous. Is that a correct statement?

The limitation you refer to is a default part of healing (not just 'Simplified' healing or Self Only 'Regeneration').

from 5er page 186:

Repeated Healing

The HERO System rules do not allow free unlimited Healing — the automatic stacking of one Healing effect on another, again and again and again — because it would make Healing too potent, too unbalancing, and too damaging to the “feel” of the game.

As a default, a character with Healing can use his Healing on a character he has already Healed one Day (24 hours) after he last applied the Healing. (How the GM lets characters track wounds may aff ect this; see below.) When he does so, the maximum effect rules (see below) do not apply. The Healing takes effect as if he had not previously applied Healing — the entire effect rolled on the dice, regardless of any previous rolls, Heals the character. Characters can buy an Advantage, Decreased Re-use Duration, to reduce the span of time between uses of Healing (see below).

Hi Ghost Angel: So you are inferring that you do not need Uncontrolled and Continuous. Is that a correct statement?

Actually, Continuous is not necessary. The book examples of self only Regeneration do not use it.

I personally think that Uncontrolled or some other custom advantage costing the same would be necessary for the ability to both work on the unconscious owning character and anyone who touched them. Otherwise it should only affect one target at a time.

Here's a new version without Continous:

31 Regenerating Touch v3: Healing BODY (Simplified Healing) 2d6, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Only for purposes of activating power when touched. Does not allow power to continue working after contact is broken.; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Always On (-1/2) - END=0

New can of worms...should I just use Aid and Only Restores To Starting Values to get around the reuse issue? Just thinkin' out loud...

Aid does not heal, it only gives temporary stats (that go away at the fade rate). Healing is the right power for this.

Tasha

New can of worms...should I just use Aid and Only Restores To Starting Values to get around the reuse issue? Just thinkin' out loud...

Then you have to worry about fade rate.

I once built a sneaky 'attack' for an evil cleric based on this principle.

Instead of Healing wounds the cleric used an Aid with a long fade rate. If the Aid was used on someone otherwise at negative Body they would begin to die when the fade kicked in.

Aid would be the appropriate Power for this construct in any case.

Actually, Continuous is not necessary. The book examples of self only Regeneration do not use it.

I personally think that Uncontrolled or some other custom advantage costing the same would be necessary for the ability to both work on the unconscious owning character and anyone who touched them. Otherwise it should only affect one target at a time.

Here's a new version without Continous:

31 Regenerating Touch v3: Healing BODY (Simplified Healing) 2d6, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Only for purposes of activating power when touched. Does not allow power to continue working after contact is broken.; +1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (85 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Always On (-1/2) - END=0

I wouldn't make it necessary personally, but it's a quible on design difference.

Though I find that both Decreased Re-Use and Extra Time to be redundant in this case. . . the Extra Time on Regeneration is really a Kludge to make it work like "regeneration" should work. Extra Time should only ever be used for Powers that take Extra Time to Activate which Always On removes the need for and Decreased Re-Use makes look silly.

Aid would be the appropriate Power for this construct in any case.

I wouldn't make it necessary personally, but it's a quible on design difference.

Though I find that both Decreased Re-Use and Extra Time to be redundant in this case. . . the Extra Time on Regeneration is really a Kludge to make it work like "regeneration" should work. Extra Time should only ever be used for Powers that take Extra Time to Activate which Always On removes the need for and Decreased Re-Use makes look silly.

Huh?

It has already been pointed out that Aid would have it's own can of worms due to fade rate issues.

Decreased Re-Use is absolutely necessary if the Healing is to work effectively more than once per day.

Extra time is just imposing delay of up to 11 segments to coincide with normal recovery. Removing it would really require 2 separate builds to meet the OP's original description of this ability: A 'standard' Self Only 'Regeneration' & a Others Only Healing with appropriate modifiers.

This one looks like the keeper to me. Thanks for the help gang! Boy is Healing vs Aid messed up...[closes his eyes and prays for version 6 help]...

So I just built this power as two powers inside a single EC.

4 Healthy Aura: Elemental Control, 20-point powers, (10 Active Points); all slots Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Always On (-1/2)

8 1) Regeneration - Exterior: Healing BODY 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; +3/4), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2) (42 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Others Only (-1/2), Limited Power (Others must stay in contact with character until Post 12; -1/2), Always On (-1/2)

3 2) Regeneration - Personal: Healing BODY 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

A total of 72 active points (EC: 10, Regen-Other: 42, Regen-Self: 20).

A total Real point Cost: 15pts.

Taking down one power will cause the other to fail.

You can up the value to 2d6 for a Real Cost increase of 15 points; total of 30pts.

Thoughts?

[edit] This sounds like a really interesting character concept. If I have another champions game start up, I will have to remember this and build a character around it. Thanks for the idea. Rep.[/edit]

La Rose

So I just built this power as two powers inside a single EC.

A total of 72 active points (EC: 10, Regen-Other: 42, Regen-Self: 20).

A total Real point Cost: 15pts.

Taking down one power will cause the other to fail.

You can up the value to 2d6 for a Real Cost increase of 15 points; total of 30pts.

Thoughts?

[edit] This sounds like a really interesting character concept. If I have another champions game start up I will have to remember this and build a character around it. Thanks for the idea. Rep.[/edit]

La Rose

Another good approach.

One note regarding the use of just 1d6 Healing:

If the bleeding rules are in effect this would not heal a wound, it would just keep it from getting worse.

Another good approach.

One note regarding the use of just 1d6 Healing:

If the bleeding rules are in effect this will not stop a would from bleeding.

It has been forever since I have view the Bleeding rules, mostly because I have never used them. Why is it that this build will not stop a character from bleeding out?

La Rose

It has been forever since I have view the Bleeding rules, mostly because I have never used them. Why is it that this build will not stop a character from bleeding out?

La Rose

The full rules are in 5er page 418.

The main reason is that bleeding can cause a character to take an additional point of Body every Phase 12. 1d6 Healing (simplified) could never exceed this. This is moot if you're not using simplified healing however.

HM