Appearance Effects, special and other

jtelson

OK, so we now know that appearance in 6th edition is being moved to the talent section and we don't know what the mechanic is going to be other than being fairly certain it will have an influence on other dice rolls.

I'm not really looking for a discussion about good or bad - there's a 60+ page thread with a healthy devotion to that nor one about what the specific influencing mechanic should/will be.

But the whole thing's gotten me thinking about thinking about character appearance more than I really have previously so before the books' even release they've earned their keep.

Safe to assume 'Striking Appearance' will be the 'very attractive' talent influencing rolls where being good looking gives you an advantage.

Not hard to get to 'Horrific Visage' influencing rolls where scaring the heck out of people would give you an edge.

That led to 'Face in a Crowd' influencing rolls where not being recognized helps (Shadowing, Int rolls to remember your face etc)

So what are other people's ideas for Appearance Effects that you've considered, used or seen used in your games?

Re: Appearance Effects, special and other

I used a variation on Striking Appearance (I titled it "No, you're not ignoring me!") on an early 5E character. +1 to Interaction skills, only in situations where a COM roll would be complementary. Basically, no matter how badly I blew the roll, there would always be a positive modifer - and if I made the roll, my modifier was even better!

Special Effect? She was so beautiful that everyone though she was attractive. :D

Take a look at Bob Greenwade's "Based on Com" Haymaker article if you can. It had some cool effects and powers based on appearance. It (obviously) uses the Com stat but if you're switching to the talent I don't think it will be hard to convert.

Take a look at Bob Greenwade's "Based on Com" Haymaker article if you can. It had some cool effects and powers based on appearance. It (obviously) uses the Com stat but if you're switching to the talent I don't think it will be hard to convert.

I don't know about Haymaker, but I think that this is the article you are talking about. It was posted on Bob's Original Hero Stuff Page, or at least that is where I got it from.

Those are big and sweeping and interesting.

I was thinking smaller like "Innocuous Geek" influencing some conversation rolls (It doesn't matter what I say) and Persuasion rolls about Geek stuff to non-Geeks.

Beneath your notice: levels on stealth and shadowing

Oddly persistent: extra interaction levels when taking extra time

Background noise: bonus to shadowing and conversation

Firm handshake: extra levls when meeting someon for the first time

Melodious voice: Bonus to seduction and conversation (and hypnosis)

Odious voice: Bonus to persuasion skills where target can not just leave

Why do people ignore me?: Bonus to stealth and shadowing, penalty to interaction skills

Cold fish: Bonus to intimidation, command or logic based interaction skills, penalty to others

Nutter on the bus: Bonus to interaction skills that involve minor favours (Alright - IF you'll go away)

Against my better judgement...: bonus to interaction skills

Distracting cleaveage: ...er...

Beneath your notice: levels on stealth and shadowing

Oddly persistent: extra interaction levels when taking extra time

Background noise: bonus to shadowing and conversation

Firm handshake: extra levls when meeting someon for the first time

Melodious voice: Bonus to seduction and conversation (and hypnosis)

Odious voice: Bonus to persuasion skills where target can not just leave

Why do people ignore me?: Bonus to stealth and shadowing, penalty to interaction skills

Cold fish: Bonus to intimidation, command or logic based interaction skills, penalty to others

Nutter on the bus: Bonus to interaction skills that involve minor favours (Alright - IF you'll go away)

"You must spread some rep before..."

DCV Bonus perhaps?

Fog thread gave me a thought

Woefully Pathetic - Bonus to interation skills involving asking for minor favors and assistance from basically good people.

Barely there costume: +x Pre only to make Target hesitate (gape) and lose initiative to character -1, only vs targets that would be sexually interested/scandalized by the character's appearance -1/2 works once per encounter -1 requires a Com roll (or can be ignored) by a Ego roll -2 in 6th ed games) -1/2

Strategic Exhibitionism: +x Pre only to make targets lose phases/dcv due to surprise, shock, etc. -1/4 Gestures: um...flashing, once per encounter

Character must have high com, striking features or an appropriate distinctive feature to utilize this effect. It doesn't nessecariliy have to be beauty. Jack Hawksmoor, for example, used it by exposing his alien modified and apparently very bizarre looking genitalia (I kid you not).

Combat Flirting: CE to reduce DCV requires a Seduction roll, only against appropriate targets, constant incantations/gestures (provocative banter and suggestive movements).

Innocuous Face: +x to Shadowing only to blend into crowds

Joe Nobody: +x to Disguise, Persuasion and Shadowing only to blend and go unnoticed or remembered

Tongue like a Razor: Negative Skill Levels 0 Endurance, persistent, Uncontrolled, Continuous, IPE, Extra Time: 5 minutes The character is so good at dissecting and demolishing someone's self esteem they can actually inflict penalties on their performance after just a short conversation.

You WISH you could be me: The character looks so good, so perfect, so stylish they actually distract others with feelings of envy, low self esteem and worthlessness. CE: -x to int and ego rolls and skills.

Ultimate Bully: The character is so terrifying, so imposing that her presence hit like a blow and weakens her foes resolve and courage not to mention influence due to the humiliating displays of fears she can generate (crying, cringing, loss of bodily function control): Drain Presence: 5 pt/5 minutes, Trigger: A Pre attack, Pre attack must succed by at least +10, Doesn't work on targets with Egos higher than the character's Pre.

The Camera loves me: +x to all Oratory, Persusasion and Seduction Only over video medium, not in person

They're more extreme since I designed them to have fairly pronounced effects, but here's what I came up with for appearance-themed powers when building Super Model:

12 Unearthly Beauty: Elemental Control, 56-point powers, All Powers Only Work On Men (-1), All Powers Reduced Proportionately By Drain vs. COM (-1/4)

10 1) Turn Every Head: Change Environment 4” radius, -3 to Normal Sight PER Rolls, Continuous (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Always On (-1/2), Only Works On Men (-1), Reduced Proportionately by Drain vs. COM (-1/4) 0

13 2) Make Men Fall All Over Themselves: Drain DEX 3d6, Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Only Works On Men (-1), Reduced Proportionately by Drain vs. COM (-1/4) 0

(With the latter she tosses her hair, blows a kiss, or makes a come-hither gesture and the guy targeted finds himself so distracted he stumbles or accidentally walks into a lamp post...)

Nexus, good to see you here!

I haven't caught up on the discussion thread for the new dispensation (which is probably a hundred pages by now...) but you said something there I very much wanted to ask about.

You lose the ability, minor as it is, to create characters with slight differences in appearance that don't necessarily have a mechanical effect but can (and IME, did) have a role playing effect.

Unless someone is running Clone Hero and all characters have to be copies of the same individual, I don't see how it's possible that each character would NOT be different in appearance from any other character. Is there something I've missed that makes you think that under the new dispensation your character's appearance will be dictated to you?

Lucius Alexander

Cloning a palindromedary

Unless someone is running Clone Hero and all characters have to be copies of the same individual, I don't see how it's possible that each character would NOT be different in appearance from any other character. Is there something I've missed that makes you think that under the new dispensation your character's appearance will be dictated to you?

I've explained this before several times. It has all been beaten to death across several threads and I'm very sick of defending my preference like its a Federal case or a matter of religious dogma. If you don't get it by now you're not going to at least from me. and if you really, honestly believe I am so stupid that I assume every character will look identical without Comeliness or whatever Talent will do then I won't waste your time with further idiotic prattle particularly since it has nothing to do with this thread.

I've explained this' date=' IMO, to Com before several times. It has all been beaten to death across several threads and I'm very sick of defending my preference like its a Federal case or a matter of religious dogma. If you really, honestly believe I am so stupid that I assume every character will look identical without Comeliness or whatever Talent will do then I won't waste your time with further idiotic prattle particularly since it has nothing to do with this thread.[/quote']

I'm well aware that what I was hearing couldn't be what you were saying, because what I was hearing didn't make any sense.

I'm sorry if you think I believe you to be stupid; I don't believe you to be stupid.

I do believe you to be hurt, angry, and defensive, and I will try to keep that in mind. But what you said was

"You lose the ability, minor as it is, to create characters with slight differences in appearance that don't necessarily have a mechanical effect but can (and IME, did) have a role playing effect."

If it's not possible to have differences in appearance between characters, even "minor" ones, then it logically follows (to me; but I know I must be misunderstanding something) that all characters are identical in appearance; if they weren't identical, there would be differences. How they can have no differences but not be identical is beyond me. But then you say

"If you really, honestly believe I am so stupid that I assume every character will look identical"

And no, I don't believe you're that stupid, which is why I didn't understand why you said what you said.

But consider the question withdrawn. I've often enjoyed your posts in the past, I still like and respect you, I look forward to interacting with you on other topics in other threads, but after that response, I no longer care to try to understand what you were saying.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests that sometimes trying for understanding merely frustrates both parties.

Lucius, I think Nexus' point may have been (not to put words in your mouth Nexus) in part you can say NPC1 has a 12COM and NPC2 has 14COM, not enough to affect the likelihood of a roll based on COM but enough to allow the player to roleplay reactions or preferences to them differently without a half page description detailing hair color and style, measurements, eye colors, et cetera, et cetera.

Lucius' date=' I think Nexus' point may have been (not to put words in your mouth Nexus) in part you can say NPC1 has a 12COM and NPC2 has 14COM, not enough to affect the likelihood of a roll based on COM but enough to allow the player to roleplay reactions or preferences to them differently without a half page description detailing hair color and style, measurements, eye colors, et cetera, et cetera.[/quote']

Yes, you have it maybe your explanation will stick. Personally, I like that little bit of extra flexibility more than the more generic "bonus to interaction skills" way most games handled looks. It's not the one true way just my preference. And that's really the last I want to discuss it. Lets get this thread back on topic.