6E, 1st non backwards compatible Hero?

shnar

Reading through all of Steve's ideas, which aren't bad, just made me wonder how backwards compatible 6E is going to be. The one thing that's really impressed me with Hero is that I can take a Champions 1 character, and still use it in a 5E system. Will that not be the case going forward?

-shnar

Re: 6E, 1st non backwards compatible Hero?

Reading through all of Steve's ideas' date=' which aren't bad, just made me wonder how backwards compatible 6E is going to be. The one thing that's really impressed me with Hero is that I can take a Champions 1 character, and still use it in a 5E system. Will that not be the case going forward?[/quote']

It still should be. This isn't a complete reimagining like D&D4. While the structure of character creation will change dramatically, the way characters work in essence is still intact.

What will happen in all likelihood is that the point cost of building the functionally equivalent characters will go up, especially with decoupled characteristics. But you should still be able to find ways to adapt your 5E, 4E or even 1E characters to the new system.

Really? Maybe I was just using basic stuff, but my 2E supers characters played just fine in the 5E world.

Anyways, that's good to hear (though I'll miss figured characteristics, always loved that part of creation) that it's not that dramatic of a change :)

-shnar

I think a direct conversion will amount to parsing some things out and a few minor tweaks. In most respects, however, the characters should still be playable with only minor adjustments. The part that won't be backwards compatible is how much stuff costs and how many points the characters are built on. But that's easy to fix. You just parse everything out, recalculate, and move on from there. There is no reason the GM can't just "grandfather" character point totals.

I think a direct conversion will amount to parsing some things out and a few minor tweaks. In most respects' date=' however, the characters should still be playable with only minor adjustments. The part that won't be backwards compatible is how much stuff costs and how many points the characters are built on. But that's easy to fix. You just parse everything out, recalculate, and move on from there. There is no reason the GM can't just "grandfather" character point totals.[/quote']That was in fact the suggested method for conversion from 4th to 5th editions. I can't see any reason the same basic method wouldn't be applicable for 1st thru 5ER -> 6E conversions.

While I was pro-figured, after it was revealed that they were in fact going away I got to thinking that as long as the actual gameplay remained largely the same, then it's all good.

If anything, there seem to have been more simplifications than there have been complications thus far (not to be confused with the change from "Disadvantages" to "Complications").

It's been noted before that Hero System is actually two different things - a character creation system and a role-playing system.

From what I've seen so far, the first is changing (as it has with each new edition since first) but the second is mostly staying the same.

It's been noted before that Hero System is actually two different things - a character creation system and a role-playing system.

From what I've seen so far, the first is changing (as it has with each new edition since first) but the second is mostly staying the same.

Hero is no more two different games than any other RPG is; complexity of character creation if anything makes a system's subgames more, rather than less, interconnected- while you can create characters you have no intention of playing, you cannot, while still reasonably refering to playing Hero, play characters you have no intention of creating.

We know that, at the very least, Adjustment Powers are being altered, and that it is likely that the attractivness mechanic will change. Until we know to what extent, we have no real way of predicting the forward/backward compatability of the system for any group's game that makes more than a casual use of these abilities.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steamteck

If you use certain constructs like elemental controls and find weakness that are going away. It might be a little bit of a pain. probably bricks are also going to be more relatively expensive. You can always put more points into the character for changes that make things more expensive. it may mean some players are built on the normal amount of points and other aren't however.

From what I've seen, it's simply an issue of knowing what values to look at in order to use a 1E, or 2E or anything else with 6E. You ignore COM and recognize OCV, DCV, and ECV are separate stats. Convert your inches to meters and you're good to go. If you don't bneed to figure the points, you're pretty much done. The main issues comes when you get characters with Flash or Adjustment powers.