character with wish granting powers

wingedoblivion

I'm want to make a person who can make wishes. Now first off, these are not wishes for himself, he's more of a business man/ deal with the devil type person. He makes deals with people, not necessarily to get their soul but to get something from them. Also, I don't plan for them to be altering reality at any fundamental level, minor things. My main concern is the character losing points as he grants wishes, which would suck.

I was thinking probably some sort massive transform power, usable only on others, only once a day, the person must consent and sign legal documentation under their own volition. Takes an hour.

Re: character with wish granting powers

This would probably require a VPP' date=' possibly a large one, since Transform can't cover everything. "I wish a piano would fall on Nighthawk" would have to be a regular attack (physical, indirect from above, probably AE Hex, etc).[/quote']

It's not supposed to be a combat thing. And not a player character. The idea behind the character is he goes around fulfilling the desires of people, usually bad people, in order to destroy and cause chaos.

such as giving a pyromaniac the ability to shoot fireballs, or giving a convict on run superspeed, or giving a pervert invisibility.

Honestly? If its not a player character or a combat ability I wouldn't worry about writing it up. It sounds like a plot device really. Just makes some notes on how it functions and run with that. If there's a possibility of a Player character being to affect it (say with an adjustment power) pick an "Active Point" value you feel is workable.

It's not supposed to be a combat thing. And not a player character. The idea behind the character is he goes around fulfilling the desires of people, usually bad people, in order to destroy and cause chaos.

such as giving a pyromaniac the ability to shoot fireballs, or giving a convict on run superspeed, or giving a pervert invisibility.

In that case, it's a plot device and doesn't need to be written up. :)

Give him a Summon 450 Point Bound Spirit, Any Bound Spirit.

Now write up a basic 300 point spirit with Invisibility, Flight, and any other powers you think this type of spirit needs.

That leaves 150 points for any powers needed to grant a particular wish.

Want wealth? Summon a spirit whose 150 points can be used to earn money for the wish target (target will eventually pay via XP). Immortality? An enemey killed? Same deal. You have the basic write up of the bound spirits, and with 150 points to customize each there's no almost no limit to what they can do.

I generally use Transform as a wish-granting mechanic when granting the wish involves adding beneficial elements to the recipient's character sheet. For the granting of Powers to a person, Physical Transform is very appropriate. The description of Transform details how to use it to add Character Points to abilities.

For granting things like wealth, status, loyal followers -- anything that could be covered with a Perk -- I use Spiritual Transform, with the rationale that the Transform is "editing the karmic path" (which seems sufficiently "spiritual" to me). ;) I also use Spiritual Transform to inflict curses that can be covered by Disadvantages like Social Limitation and Reputation.

Mother Gothel in the Arcane Enemies book uses Transform to put blessings and curses on other characters. That write-up might be worth a look, based on the character description.

For full-on genie mode stuff, I'd tend to favor a VPP in the low triple digits usable only for granting others' wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

If the only wishes he can get granted are changes to the wisher, then Transform is all you need.

If wishes can be for something else (a lot of money, a fast car, whatever), you'll need a Summon (yeah, you aren't suppose summon not alive things, but a VPP means when the wish granter needs a different Power, the wishers wish goes away).

Giving 'something else' is usually a change to the character in the end... Major Transform can give or take away the Money perk, or Reputation, Vehicle or Base, even Disadvantages.

Major Transformation: Anything into Anything... for all your Wish granting needs.

Giving 'something else' is usually a change to the character in the end... Major Transform can give or take away the Money perk, or Reputation, Vehicle or Base, even Disadvantages.

Major Transformation: Anything into Anything... for all your Wish granting needs.

I had a character in a very strange game named Wishmaster (he was the offspring of a Mermaid and a Leprechaun) and handled the wishes as a Transform. As Naanomi said, with a little creativity we were able to define almost every wish as a change on somebody's character sheet.

You can look at it that way of course. But if the wish granter hands a pile of money, or a fast car, that's not the same as the money perk or the vehicle perk.

I look at it like you don't have to pay points for mundane things. I guess I'm used to Normal-Level games.

Its all good. Its just a different point of view. :)

I couldn't dig up the character sheet, but I did remember that we eventually changed the power from a Transform to a Cosmic VPP. As the other players in the group started to become more creative with their wishes ("I wish we were all safely on the space station." = Megascale Teleport) we needed to make the power more flexible, but we were also forced to add limitations (other's wishes only, 3 charges per day, the character must be able to hear the wish spoken aloud, ect.) to keep it fun and playable.

What proved to be most fun was granting the wishes of villains in the most literal or negative ways.

Villain - "The only way you getting by me is over my dead body."

Me - "As you wish!"

GM - "oh no..."

The VPP of my version of Zatanna could easily be modified to fit the bill.

from http://smallville.wikia.com/wiki/Zatanna_Zatara

Zatanna possess powerful magical abilities. At first her abilities were limited to granting 'wishes' of whatever a person most desired in the moment their wish was granted, as well as telekinesis and the ability to appear and disappear at will. [citation needed] However, Zatanna's ability to grant wishes only works on others. It does not work on herself.

After finding her father's spell book she learned that by speaking words backwards she was able to make whatever she wished happen. For example, by speaking "leets yb dnuob!"(bound by steel) she was able to imprison Oliver Queen within suddenly appearing chains.

Zatanna also now has access to the wealth of magical spells in her father's book, including one that can resurrect a person from the dead, providing another life is sacrificed in exchange for theirs.

hex-zatanna1.jpg

For full-on genie mode stuff' date=' I'd tend to favor a VPP in the low triple digits usable only for granting others' wishes.[/quote']

I have a genie as an npc. She costs... I think 1075 points. ;)