Top 5 Favorite 5E Supplements

Re: Top 5 Favorite 5E Supplements

Hmm, with 6E on the horizon maybe I'll just sit on that XP and see how best to spend it with the new edition.

Herein lies wisdom. ;)

Maybe in a week or two I should try this experiment again, but with the additional instruction of "no genre books." Those are obviously pretty likely to appeal to Hero's market, so I can take it as given that they'll be favorites of a lot of people. It might be interesting to try looking beyond that.

Heck, though, I'm just happy a few people mentioned Hudson City and Tuala Morn. :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hudson City fit rather perfectly to both your writing style and to the modern genre. I have even decided to use it outside the HERO system for games like Shadowrun or Top Secret/S.I. Tuala Morn I have but have not gotten very far in. When it was first announced, I was on the whole Celtic kick. When it was published I was elsewhere. Giving that I could not give it a fair review, I decided to skip it until that mood/muse rolls 'round again.

i love Tuala Morn... however, i only run homebrew settings (even Shadowrun and World of Darkness are done in my own cities). it is, in fact, the only pure setting book i have outside of Accordlands for 3rd ed DnD and Eberron (and those were both the wife's purchases so i don't count them as mine :D)

i do plan on mining the crap out of it sometime in the near future for my own setting. some of the concepts are great, and it was a great tutorial on how to make low fantasy work. if i didn't love both Asian Bestiaries, it likely would have ended up on my list.

The Equipment Guide

Fantasy Hero

Ultimate Martial Artist

Dark Champions

Until Superpowers Guide (1&2 that is)

Those are the 5 books that I keep going back to time and time again. I don't know if I could live without these supplements.

BTW Ultimate Skill gets runnerup status :D

Also a HUGE shout out to Hero Designer! It makes all of our work creating Characters a TON easier/faster!

Tasha

This took me a while to figure out (partially because I moved recently and had all my HERO books packed in boxes). Among the ones I own, in no particular order:

Fantasy HERO

Star HERO

Ultimate Martial Artist

Ultimate Skill

Monsters, Minions, and Marauders

Honorable mention: Valdorian Age - it gets bumped out of the top five because of the utter lack of illustrations of any place in the setting. Turakian Age had the same flaw. I don't have Tuala Morn or Atlantean Age yet, but I sure hope there are some illustrations of the actual settings in those books.

Steve mentioned a restriction of "No Genre Books" in which case, I'd take off FH and SH, and put on Ultimate MetaMorph and Fantasy HERO Battlegrounds.

Ultimate books I don't have (yet), which otherwise might have made the list, but I don't know:

Mentalist

Speedster

Energy Projector

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm only one I still have is the Ultimate martial artist I did like that book. still a bigger fan of 4th editon and if I can ever replace my lost book I will run champs again my fave supplement from that was the 4th edtion VIPER book always liked Scott Bennie's work and enjoyed playing with Cliff in the past, but my fave stuff always by scott b and scott h. No offense Steve. Wasnt a fan of 5th edtion as it seem the point scaling seem to rise abit from 4th.