Marvel to HERO

Doc Shadow

Re: Marvel to HERO

I can see Spidey having an END in the high double digits so he wouldn't tire out quickly, and maybe Reduced END on Swinging, but remember REC also influences how quickly you recover STUN (and BODY, though fast-healing characters generally have some sort of Regeneration-type power if it makes a difference in combat). I've seen him knocked out plenty of times, not always by superhuman sources of damage, and he does not spring back to full alertness and function instantaneously.

I don't recall ever seeing write-ups for any gods with a REC higher than 30.

Putting aside supers getting tired or not for a moment, stop and realize that REC also affects STUN. Now, while it doesn’t happen every issue, superheroes do get knocked out, and they usually stay knocked out long enough for the villain to escape or put them in a death trap or whatnot. With somewhere between 50-65 REC Spiderman will usually wake up from the most horrible, comma inducing hit in 12 seconds or less (at the next PS12). Even Hulk doesn’t get up that fast the occasional times he’s KOed.

BODY and REC seem out whack compared to write-ups for official CU characters. For example, Grond (CU's Hulk stand-in) has a BODY of 30 and a REC of 28. Spider-man should not have a REC greater than than the Hulk.

Otherwise, it seems like a good table. :thumbup:

I think part of the issue is that he's not trying to make them comparable to CU characters; he's just trying to do a straight conversion. However, straight conversions do not always balance and sometimes come up with odd results when going between systems. This is particularly true when there are not comparable number values.

OK, how does this strike you:

Below Normal (Peak Exertion of less than 1 minute) – REC 2 or less

Normal (Peak Exertion of 1-2 minutes) – REC 3-4

Above Normal (Peak Exertion of 2-4 minutes) – REC 5-6

Athlete (Peak Exertion of 5-15 minutes) – REC 7-10

Peak Human (Peak Exertion of 16-60 minutes) – REC 11-15

Enhanced Human (Peak Exertion of 1-2 hours) – REC 16-20

Superhuman (Peak Exertion of 3-24 hours) – REC 21-30

Metahuman (Peak Exertion of 1-6 days) – REC 31-40

Demi-godlike (Peak Exertion of 1-7 weeks) – REC 41-60

Godlike (Peak Exertion of 2-12 months) – REC 61-100

Immeasurable (Never tires) – REC 101+

(with half or equivalent points in Reduced END Cost)

Seems much more reasonable. 30 still seems a bit high to me, but that is largely because I'm thinking more about Stun than END at this point, and of course, my opinion is colored by having played various levels of Champions.

If nothing else I think these numbers are at least closer to being in scale and will scale well to other characters converted from the same source.

I think it's still vastly over-inflated. I'd never allow a normal human type, no matter what sort of peak condition they were in, to have a REC over 15. I'd be extremely unlikely to let supers without powers specifically geared to renewing their stamina/life energy exceed 20, unless it's a case of a Hulk-esque tireless brick (like Grond).

To put it in terms of Marvel characters, I'd probably give Spider-Man about a 15, Captain America and Wolverine in the 18-20 range, and gods like Thor and Hercules around 25. To get 30 or above you'd have to be talking about someone who freely and tirelessly accesses nearly infinite energy resources, like the Silver Surfer or Jean Grey in full Phoenix mode.

*apologizing for butting in*

There are a number of problems with using those handbooks as a source for conversion to HERO; while the original OHOTMU corresponded reasonably well to what the characters could usually do in the comics, that was partly because Jim Shooter (then Editor-in-Chief) decided to make a serious effort at continuity (ehm, what it amounted to, anyway) and it was during this time that TSR got their stats from Marvel; actually, the Marvel RPG stats are reasonable in context when compared to each other.

The Marvel SAGA RPG wasn't nearly as consistent...

At writeup.org you can find over a thousand writeups that are based mainly on the comics themselves, and some are partly based on the Marvel RPG source material (usually for extrapolation of seldom-used abilities or insufficient data in the comics).

Usually, doing a conversion from the writeup.org to HERO is a cinch compared to basing it off any "official" handbook from Marvel. If anyone's interested, I could collect my Marvel RPG <-> MEGS <-> HERO conversion notes and post them.

Off hand: the figures on Hierax conversion document seems reasonably OK at the lower levels (though they don't correspond with mine, which are mostly lower) but Agility should not be used for SPD; Fighting should provide for this - it even determines the chance for making extra attacks in the Marvel RPG - as well as Overall or Combat Levels. Likewise, Popularity should be used for PRE.

edit: AFAIK, the Marvel RPG character handbooks - MU-1 through MU-8 - are still available for download, and OCR scanned, at that.

*butting out*

• 4 weeks later...