Post-Apocolyptic Disney World

Susano

Re: Post-Apocolyptic Disney World

I saw the thread name and thought of a short story published some time back in the Sunday magazine section of The Orlando Sentinel. It was entitled "The Magic King" (as I recall...my copy is buried in storage right now). The name derives from the various road signs littering the area.....

As an aside, I often had some post-apocalyptic thoughts myself during various late nights as a Cast Member. Empty walkways, prowled by the occasional "castle cat" (feral cats who have migrated into the park(s) after hours)...

:D

-Carl-

Let's not forget the miles and miles of maintenance tunnels under each section of the park grounds. (Like Castle Fantasia' date=' which is the hub for the Magic Kingdom region.)[/quote']

Cinderellas castle is a potentially interesting gaming site. What with the old Disney family apartment(s), "hidden" elevator, etc. And the Utilidors have a few dead ends in them (as I recall) that could well serve as "monster lairs".

-Carl-

As an aside, I often had some post-apocalyptic thoughts myself during various late nights as a Cast Member. Empty walkways, prowled by the occasional "castle cat" (feral cats who have migrated into the park(s) after hours)...

-Carl-

Wait, you used to work at Disney World? Was the job environment as frustrating as I've heard it's supposed to be?

Wait' date=' you used to work at Disney World? Was the job environment as frustrating as I've heard it's supposed to be?[/quote']

The simple (and hopefully not thread derailing) answer is "No...and at times, yes." :ugly::D

-Carl-

I suspect the World Pavilion provides a different sort of arrangement involved when it comes to park maintenance, but it's something to research on, if nothing else. Given Buena Vista, I suspect the World lake was originally a natural lake, inferring to a decentralized ring behind or under the individual Pavilions (given the Matterhorn plans, of course.)

I suspect the World Pavilion provides a different sort of arrangement involved when it comes to park maintenance' date=' but it's something to research on, if nothing else. Given Buena Vista, I suspect the World lake was originally a natural lake, inferring to a decentralized ring behind or under the individual Pavilions (given the Matterhorn plans, of course.)[/quote']

Slight digression:

As I recall my Traditions 1 class notes, fragments of what became Bay Lake and The Seven Seas Lagoon were in place but were enhanced by dredging and some expansion. The white sand on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon in fact is supposed to have been exposed from the muck and relocated to the shoreline at such resorts as The Polynesian, etc.

As far as I am aware, most of World Showcase Lagoon is man-made or at least significantly enhanced from the wetlands that were the site of EPCOT. Primary service access at EPCOT (and Disneys' Animal Kingdom and what was called (during my tenure with the company) The Disney/MGM Studios (tho' that contract has ended and the name since changed)) is/was via radial service roads, most of which ring the park(s) in question.

The Matterhorn Bobsleds are at the original park in CA. Expedition Everest, which has Matterhorn-esque elements, is in FL at Disneys' Animal Kingdom. I admit limited knowledge of service facilities at the CA park(s), with the exception of noting Cast Members crossing the park in costume during their shift change, which implies a lack of Utilidors there.

End slight digression......

:D:D

-Carl-

and some expansion. The white sand on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon in fact is supposed to have been exposed from the muck and relocated to the shoreline at such resorts as The Polynesian' date=' etc.[/quote']

White lakebed sand is quite common across FL, as it makes up part of the natural loam soil. It's the freakin' lakeweeds that cover up most of it. :D

The Matterhorn Bobsleds are at the original park in CA. Expedition Everest' date=' which has Matterhorn-esque elements, is in FL at Disneys' Animal Kingdom.[/quote']

I'm quite aware of Disney CA being the home of the Matterhorn, but there was plans of adding a Matterhorn-like ride somewhere just behind the Pavilion ring--I think it may be Mt. Kiljamaro for an Africa Pavilion, but since it's been so long since I've been there, I'm not too sure of what the actual name would've been--so I called it "Matterhorn." (And if there was one, it'd be behind the Germany Pavilion. :) )

There are tunnels under Disneyland allowing workers to move from place to place without disturbing the guests.

And now for some sick reason (probably due to reading some of Robert Ressler's books on serial murder) I'm imagining a pedophilic killer working as a mascot at Disneyland, luring the little kiddies into the tunnels for a "game"... :sick: I wonder how long a clever killer could get away with stashing the bodies in out of the way places inside the park?

Hmm, I wonder, if I wrote that story up and tried to sell it, would I get in trouble with the park proper for 'libeling' them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...