Zeppelins

mattingly

Re: Zeppelins

Blimps aren't Sexy ......if it was a Giant Suborbital thingie, that moved at Mach 50 bazillion, and needed 50,000 people on the ground to take care of it for 1 hour of operation, THEN the pinheads with the checkbook would look at it. It's the same thing as the Gun System vs Missile System on Aircraft arguement that's been raging since the 50's.....

But THAT, would have been sweet.

~Rex

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look like they pulled a Fox Network on it. . . y'know' date=' it was good, it was innovative, so it got cancelled. C'mon, a blimp that could schlep half a [i']kiloton[/i] of troops, vehicles and gear halfway around the world in less than a week and someone pulls the plug?

sighs yet another ace piece of tech fades into the dimension known as "alternative history/what-could-have-been".

To be fair, like a lot of the cool military tech that inexplicably gets cancelled, the people pushing it never got around to explaining how they could make it work. The cool picture everyone has seen shows a little bitty airship

walrus_HUGEish.jpg

In contrast the Hindenberg, (which was about half the size of the Empire state building and about 4 times larger than the blimp in that sketch) and which used hydrogen, giving it an 8% greater lifting capacity than modern blimps had a lifting capacity of ..... drum roll .... about 10 tons. Technology has improved, but helium still weighs exactly the same as it did 70 years ago, so those kinds of numbers won't change.*

They never could expand how they could increase lifting capacity 50 fold, increase safety, armour the vehicle ... heck, basically anything. After all it wasn't congress that killed the program - DARPA itself asked for the program to be defunded, and the reason seems to be that they had come to conclusion it couldn't work.

cheers, Mark

*And yes, I know that WALRUS was technically not a blimp, but a heavier than air craft using helium for added lift - but the numbers still don't add up.

To be fair, like a lot of the cool military tech that inexplicably gets cancelled, the people pushing it never got around to explaining how they could make it work. The cool picture everyone has seen shows a little bitty airship

walrus_HUGEish.jpg

In contrast the Hindenberg, (which was about half the size of the Empire state building and about 4 times larger than the blimp in that sketch) and which used hydrogen, giving it an 8% greater lifting capacity than modern blimps had a lifting capacity of ..... drum roll .... about 10 tons. Technology has improved, but helium still weighs exactly the same as it did 70 years ago, so those kinds of numbers won't change.*

They never could expand how they could increase lifting capacity 50 fold, increase safety, armour the vehicle ... heck, basically anything. After all it wasn't congress that killed the program - DARPA itself asked for the program to be defunded, and the reason seems to be that they had come to conclusion it couldn't work.

cheers, Mark

*And yes, I know that WALRUS was technically not a blimp, but a heavier than air craft using helium for added lift - but the numbers still don't add up.

There you go again, injecting reality into a Pulp thread!

;)

There you go again, injecting reality into a Pulp thread!

;)

Well shucks, for pulp, Zeppelins 4 times the size of the Hindenberg with a lifting capacity of about 30 tons (you face diminsihing returns with regard to size - as it gets bigger, you need to make the frame stronger) are technically possible. And while 30 tons might not let you airlift a modern battalion, it will let you add steam-powered catapults and a landing deck for a couple of fighters, while still having barracks for a platoon of rocket-troopers and a decent saloon and restaurant!

cheers, Mark

Blimps aren't Sexy ......if it was a Giant Suborbital thingie, that moved at Mach 50 bazillion, and needed 50,000 people on the ground to take care of it for 1 hour of operation, THEN the pinheads with the checkbook would look at it. It's the same thing as the Gun System vs Missile System on Aircraft arguement that's been raging since the 50's.....

But THAT, would have been sweet.

~Rex

Uh Rex, you do know that Mach 50 bazillion = approx 55256.87 times lightspeed right?

(Yes, I did do the maths, sort of :D)

In Europe, Goodyear is sponsoring the Zeppelin, even if they still have lots of their iconic blimps. Not too surprising; the Zeppelin here is sponsored by Farmers Insurance, so they have their logo on the airship.

I thought it was mislabeled, but if you look at the design, you'll see it's a Zeppelin NT, not a blimp.

• 2 weeks later...

To get a feel of how unfamiliar Zeppelins have become' date=' see this article.

I can understand this.

Years ago, there was a company operating a couple of blimps here in Sydney, doing joyflights and so forth. I remember walking along a quiet street late one night, gradually becoming aware of a funny noise (engines) and looking up.

It was a blimp (surprise, surprise), several hundred feet almost directly above me, with lights illuminating it from the interior Chinese-Lantern-style. It took my brain a second or two to catch up and put all the data together (blimps were still a novelty, and my mind had been totally elsewhere anyhow), during which time the rest of me automatically went into "Holy ####!!!!!" mode. Took a couple of minutes for the adrenaline-induced shakes to taper off, during which time the blimp pulled away and became more recognizable.

If it is totally unexpected, and you need to stop and think about what you are seeing anyhow ..... Yeah.