How to change from normal to "hero ID"

John515

Oh not at all!

It is one way to do it, but probably not the most satisfactory way. At least not from what I am gathering from your information. The character's personality (read Disads) remain unchanged, no? Then your best bet is to buy the power Instant Change (it's a cosmetic transform as mentioned by prestidigitator above) UNLESS it takes some time to change forms. Either way, you could purchase the character's powers with the limitation Only in Heroic Identity. I believe that's a -1/4 limitation.

Cat

Originally posted by John515

She will be a normal who can change into a rocklike form. Is Multiform the only way to do this?

Plenty of ways:

1) Buy her a force field, special effect: Rocky Skin. When she turns it on, she "changes."

2) Buy an EC with the Force Field above, Density Increase, maybe Growth, all of them linked but not OIHID. When the EC switches on, she grows, gets heavy, turns into rock, and gets a bunch of combat buffs. The rest of her powers can then be purchased OIHID.

3) Shapeshift to one rocky form.

Other ways as well, most of them in the "it's just a special effect" category.

Unless bought Always On, any Persistant Power can be turned off at will.

Personally, I'd simply rule that turning Armor on or off would be enough for the appearance to change. This may only apply if her physical features only change color/texture, unless the GM rules it's a large enough change to disguise her. If not, then you will need another power to diguise her as well (such as Shapeshift).

Although many GMs stretch it a bit, I generally rule that the Instant Change variant of Transform only applies to a character's clothing (just as the Power is bought). It would never change the appearance of the actual character.

You could do this as OIHID, depending on concept.

See this.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=297&highlight=OIHID

It's how I'd do your character. You are supposed to have a way the change can be prevented, but this does not seem to be a terribly difficult requirement to fulfil. There was a discussion about whether it was sufficiently easy to prevent Colossus's change to allow him OIHID. I liked Acroyear's explanation on page 3 of the thread.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5097&highlight=colossus

The phase to change into heroic form is not too bad either. Same time it takes to change into your costume in game mechanics terms. This is also discussed in the Colossus thread.

I think the main disadvantage is that one does not have access to powers in civilian ID. You need to change into the heroic form before you can hold up the bridge, use your laser vision, etc.

I have never had a problem with "I turn into my rock form" "cool"...No diff in my mind from a little news boy saying Shazam! or the torch flammin on...if you don't take a lim in addition I will never hose you for having a nonpowered secret id form....Turning on powers that make you look differant is just part of comics to me...so only look at the more complicated ways if you Want other bells and whistles OR if your GM has a differant opinion....:)

Multiform is good when a character has a different personality, skills and INT when a normal human. If you can't drive a car, become a berserker, and don't speak english in your werewolf form, but are an experienced private detective in your human form, Multiform is the way to simulate this.

But if being in your heroic identity only ADDS super powers to your normal human skills and personality, then Only in Hero ID works best. You just buy your STR, CON and armor with OIHID (-1/4), and when you change you put on muscles and armor. Your heroic ID is the same person as your secret ID. Of course, you can also buy skills and characteristics with an "Only in Secret ID" if you get stupid when you're changed, but usually Multiform gives you better value.

Both ways are valid, but Colossus, Captain Marvel (Shazam!), Thor or the Human Torch are more suited to OIHID. Etrigan, the Incredible Hulk, The Lizard, or a classic werewolf are more suited to Multiform.

From my perspective Humantourch has no limitation such as OIHID he simply has a special effect. However I would give him a Physical limitation for the problems caused by water.

But thats the bieuty of a system that lets us create what we want we can all make the same base character and have completly differnt views on how.

Actually, I don't think you can buy skills with limitations. Or, you can, but you don't get any points back, except coolness points for putting character conception over power gaming.

But since the character John seems to want doesn't have any personality changes, OIHID is what he wants.

But make sure not to buy ALL your powers that way. You don't want to be completely useless when trapped in human form...you should at least have some skills that would let you support your teammates, or be able to beat up a single agent on your own. Remember, you should only get points back from a limitation if it somehow limits you. If you NEVER get surprised in human form, or trapped somehow, then you are getting points for free. It really is up to the GM to enforce this though.