Giant Ant Lair

Nevenall

Re: Giant Ant Lair

:)

I wonder how they keep it from collapsing? Some kind of strengthening secretion?

"It looks like some sort of excretion."

"Yeah... but excreted from what?"

Just dust off and nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.

I wonder how they keep it from collapsing? Some kind of strengthening secretion?

Hmm... I know that termites secrete an adhesive that when mixed with soil or sand dries to rock-hardness, but I don't know if any ants produce something similar. Wouldn't surprise me, though -- they're very adaptable.

I'm really surprised no one has remade the film before this. It was very successful when first released, and "nature rebelling against Man's abuse" has become a popular fiction subgenre. The only thing holding back the original THEM! was the limitations of special effects, which is no issue today.

I have THEM! on DVD. IMHO, it's one of the best movies to come out of the '50s, genre be damned.

(Still gotta get The Day The Earth Stood Still, though.)

I recently watched it again and I agree. They really knew something about plot, dialogue, and character development back then. Special effects are overrated.

Holy Sandkings! Very cool ant city.

Now just imagine if these were really GIANT ants = that would be one bloody tough dungeon!

Or this could be designed as scenerio with the incredible shrinking species too. The heros are shrunk, and the equipment used to reverse the effect is in the ant lair. Which of course is now GIANT sized !:) Or is this the death trap of Dragonfly ! (Ok this is alittle off topic.)

:)

First off, ants don't really care if part of it collapses, they just repair it and move on. But, if you look carefully, the amount of solid dirt (before the scientists removed it) is many times more than the amount of dirt missing from the tunnels. As long as the dirt is already compacted, the dirt above is held up by the surrounding structure. It's why the instincts of the ants to build very long, thin tunnels and lots of little round rooms. The ant colonies that wanted to build small dense colonies with huge rooms and tunnels all collapsed and died. :sneaky:

Or this could be designed as scenerio with the incredible shrinking species too. The heros are shrunk' date=' and the equipment used to reverse the effect is in the ant lair. Which of course is now GIANT sized !:) Or is this the death trap of Dragonfly ! (Ok this is alittle off topic.)[/quote']

Check out the book The Insect Warriors by Rex Dean Levie.

I recently watched it again and I agree. They really knew something about plot' date=' dialogue, and character development back then. Special effects are overrated.[/quote']

Heh - I think you deserve an honorary membership to our British science fiction appreciation society for that :)