Giant Ant Lair

Nevenall

Re: Giant Ant Lair

This thread got me thinking about the special effects in that film. To me one of the most effective elements in the movie is the long time taken to reveal the giant ants. The early scenes where we only hear their eerie high-pitched keening, and their victims are killed off-screen, build up anticipatory dread marvellously. But how much of that was a necessary result of the limited effects available at that time? Almost certainly if the film was done today, the ants would be revealed much earlier and in much more detail, but IMHO that would be a loss compared to the original.

This thread got me thinking about the special effects in that film. To me one of the most effective elements in the movie is the long time taken to reveal the giant ants. The early scenes where we only hear their eerie high-pitched keening' date=' and their victims are killed off-screen, build up anticipatory dread marvellously. But how much of that was a necessary result of the limited effects available at that time? Almost certainly if the film was done today, the ants would be revealed much earlier and in much more detail, but IMHO that would be a loss compared to the original.[/quote']

The same effect came about in Jaws, due to the shark not working most of the time.

Heh - I think you deserve an honorary membership to our British science fiction appreciation society for that :)

I'd be honored to be an honorary member. :D

For a good story about non-giant ants going on a rampage, look for the short story "Leiningen versus the Ants" by Carl Stephenson. One place you can find it is in the anthology Great Tales of Action and Adventure edited by George Bennett. This story and the movie THEM! are what started my obsession with ants.

That is a great story. Did you ever see the film adaptation of it, The Naked Jungle, starring Charlton Heston?

This is what I meant earlier when I said you don't need to make ants giants to make them scary. If anything, an oncoming tide of carnivorous living creatures that's effectively unkillable and immune to fear is even more terrifying.

That is a great story. Did you ever see the film adaptation of it' date=' The Naked Jungle, starring Charlton Heston?

This is what I meant earlier when I said you don't need to make ants giants to make them scary. If anything, an oncoming tide of carnivorous living creatures that's effectively unkillable and immune to fear is even more terrifying.

They made it into a movie? Starring Charlton Heston? I must see it!

Thanks for telling me about it, I had no idea. Repped. :thumbup:

That is a great story. Did you ever see the film adaptation of it' date=' The Naked Jungle, starring Charlton Heston?

You mean lobbyists? :fear:

I remember another movie about ants. I don't remember what it was called. Some scientists do some experiments on ants and they become super-intelligent, and one escapes the lab and "infects" a colony, who gradually build stuff outside the building to attack the scientists.

The details are vague. I'd IMDB it if I had anything to go on. It was pretty scary, without the ants ever having to be giant-size.

I remember another movie about ants. I don't remember what it was called. Some scientists do some experiments on ants and they become super-intelligent, and one escapes the lab and "infects" a colony, who gradually build stuff outside the building to attack the scientists.

The details are vague. I'd IMDB it if I had anything to go on. It was pretty scary, without the ants ever having to be giant-size.

Phase IV, I think.

It sounds like Phase IV. The book's not bad, either. Though not as good as Lennigan vs the Ants. I loved that story when I was a kid.

cheers, Mark

First off' date=' ants don't really care if part of it collapses, they just repair it and move on. But, if you look carefully, the amount of solid dirt (before the scientists removed it) is many times more than the amount of dirt missing from the tunnels. As long as the dirt is already compacted, the dirt above is held up by the surrounding structure. It's why the instincts of the ants to build very long, thin tunnels and lots of little round rooms. The ant colonies that wanted to build small dense colonies with huge rooms and tunnels all collapsed and died. :sneaky:[/quote']

Very good points.

I remember a movie that MT3K did very early on about some scientists who got killed by a bunch of intelligent ants. I believe the ants shut down their air conditioning and then built some kind of giant reflectors to cook the humans. Kind of poetic justice, but I may be misremembering things.

Very good points.

I remember a movie that MT3K did very early on about some scientists who got killed by a bunch of intelligent ants. I believe the ants shut down their air conditioning and then built some kind of giant reflectors to cook the humans. Kind of poetic justice, but I may be misremembering things.

Yeah. That's Phase IV, the one we were talking about.