rank and age

ayinde

Re: rank and age

One can always lie about their age. Still happens. In general though figure Officer Ranks Require a Degree ....so 3-4 years above minimal enlistment. NCO ranks are different because you can start as an e3 right out of boot if you got the JROTC from high School......

As for anything else you can call an actuall recruiting office, ask for the NCO to give you a run down on Time In Grade.

~Rex

what little I know,

I have met one soldier who got out of basic with an e 3 this give you about a two year head start on everyone, this was an older enlistee.

you can join the army at 17 as long as you are out of basic at 18 (got to be of age to swear in, my understanding i will ask)

out of basic e 1 6 month to year to e2 then a year to e3 corporal, 2 years to Sargent ( and if you are a e3 or e4 doing a higher level job in a combat zone this can speed up promotion 6 months or so) 6 years e5 and then at ten special duty (drill Sargent or recruiter, or 1st Sargent to get to e6 (safe 10 to 12 year range) then 5 plus to (if you can ) get to e 7 at 18 years retire at that like may be 10% make e 8 and stay in 25

so your come out an e3 but to get to be an e4 you need at least 2 years time in grade? I know you can goggle this.

during a war all bets of Gavin of paratrooper fame in WWII start the war at 25 as a Lt and ended the war as a general (really rare even in WWII)

Now the Russian promot by merit by giving you the job which come with the aurthory to do it then if you are sucessful then you get rank (so captains can command a battalion and after few year they are lt col.

hoep this helps

Lord Ghee

1st Lt to captain ( only 1/2 of them make it and stay in) 6 years captain to major 4 plus more and only 1/4 of the majors make to 15 years Lt col and 1/2 of the Lt to col 20 years and 1/4 of the col to general. So a general will have at least 20 years experience.

I ;have met one captain who enlisted and then went ocs (no college, rare and will hurt getting from captain to major and if you make col you have higher level master courses at least if not a master degree.

In the Navy (I'm currently in the Navy) it breaks down like this:

You start as E1

9mos to

E2 (given automatically)

9mos to

E3 (Given automatically)

6 mos to

E4 (some "rates" or jobs are given E4 Automatically, most are not).

If this is not given automatically, to Make it, which is a combination of a test score, your performance evaluation, awards received, time in rate (time you've been an E3 in going for E4). This applies for E4-E6, and again this is NAVY ONLY.

1 year to

E5 (This is given automatically IF you are in a Nuclear field and agree to reenlist for extra number of years)

3 years to

E6 and beyond.

When you get to E7 you first have to take a test. This determines if you are "Board Eligible". If you pass the board, your record gets reviewed by a "think tank" of senior enlisted who pick the most qualified candidates to fill the quota of E7's (and E8's and E9's).

Now that was probably a lot of crap you didn't really need. I could have just said, average age for an E7 is around 31 (Navy says it should take about 12-15 years to make E7), E6 is around 28, E5 around 23, E4 around 20. The Army and Marines typically make it a little quicker, and the Air Force typically takes a little longer.

Officers is COMPLETELY different, depending on what type of Officer you are (again can only speak knowledgeably about the Navy). My Department Head is a Commander (O5 or Lt Col in the Army/Marines) at 37, and that's ridiculously quick. He's what's called an IP Officer (Informations Systems Professional Officer) and they are a new thing for the Navy so are severely undermanned and make rank quickly. What most people thing of as Naval Officers (Captian's of ships) are called SWO's (Surface Warfare Officer) are usually in their early to mid 40's before O5 and being in 25 years (so around 50) before they make O6 (Captain in the Navy which is a Colonel in the Army) is pretty standard.

A lot depends on how old one is when one JOINS the military.

For example, I joined when I was 27; a lot of people that same age may have joined at 17 and been a couple of steps ahead of me.

Some people start out ahead; prior education, ROTC, special skills, may get you a higher rank as enlisted or a higher officer's commission. Medical doctors and lawyers for example start as captains, but of course they have already put in a good many years getting that education. I have heard of people getting in as majors, but that was because they had extremely special training or experience and skills that were in very high demand.

Lucius Alexander

For example, I have a palindromedary and I know how to use it.

during a war all bets of Gavin of paratrooper fame in WWII start the war at 25 as a Lt and ended the war as a general (really rare even in WWII)

Lord Ghee

"Jumping Jim" Gavin graduated West Point in 1929 as a 2nd Lt.On Oct 16,1941 he was promoted to Major & made S3 for the 503rd PIB of the 82nd . & he took command of the 82nd Aug of 42 as a Colonel.He had been promote to Brig. General by the time of the Normandy Invasion in june of 44.

"Jumping Jim" was one of my favorite officers of WW2.Loved when the had Elliot Gould play him in "A Bridge to Far";)

Don't forget there Are several fast track programs in the various branches depending on MOS, Age of Enlistment, that sort of thing. Some very excellent links posted by the knowledgeable people ahead of me there. Good Stuff

GREAT work on the Jumpin Jim info.

~Rex

If you want to go through Selection, you have to have a minimum of three years and three months in the British Army (and having gone through "P" Company selection is useful as well). But in actual fact, most soldiers who join the SAS are in their mid- to late-twenties, with the resulting fact that the basic SAS trooper has more emotional and mental maturity than your average squaddie, who is in his late teens, early twenties.

BTW: "P" Company selection is the Paras, the British Army's airborne unit.

I was E3 coming out of boot camp, automatic promotion to E4 on completion of my A School, very nearly automatic promotion to E5 on my first advancement exam, and was promoted to E6 after about five years total. This was about normal for any Electronics Technician, Nuclear.

you can join the army at 17 as long as you are out of basic at 18 (got to be of age to swear in, my understanding i will ask)

It at least used to be you could enlist at 17 with your parents' consent.

I enlisted Delayed Entry a week after my 17th b/d, went to basic a week after I graduated HS, and was still 17 when I graduated basic...

(Lets here it for a September b/d -- course they keep pushing back when you can start school. My son was among the last Sept b/ds eligible to start school in our system while still 4. He was the youngest kid in the district. Now in 8th grade, he's in advanced placement math and one of the tallest kids in school. The boneheads wanted us to hold off another year before starting him...)

• 2 weeks later...

I was E3 coming out of boot camp' date=' automatic promotion to E4 on completion of my A School, very nearly automatic promotion to E5 on my first advancement exam, and was promoted to E6 after about five years total. This was about normal for any Electronics Technician, Nuclear.[/quote']

I don't know why the quote disapeared the first time...

Given the forum is Dark Champions we know the context is probably near contemporary, realistic to semi-realistic.

But it's still worth noting that it depends on where and when - what's normal for US Army Infantry in 2009 may not fit the Air Corps in 1945 or Soviet Spetsnatz in 1980 or French Foreign Legion in 1960 or British Royal Navy in 2025.

And none of it necessarily applies to military units in games and fiction - if you're building the GI Joe team to go after Cobra, it's probably not going to be quite like any real military unit.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Corps