Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Urban Fantasy Campaign Fodder?

Michael Hopcroft

Apparnelty the first file in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series is coming out President's Day, in an apparent attempt to launch another young-adult franchise to take the place of the soon-to-be-concluded Harry Potter franchise of films.

What I'm curious about, and maybe people who've read the books can fill in the blanks, is what kind of campaign fodder the idea of young gods walking the Earth is fro an Urban Fantasy HERO campaign concept.

Re: Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Urban Fantasy Campaign Fodder?

While I haven't read the Percy Jackson books, one of the first things that occurred to me when I looked at the movie trailer was the White Wolf game Scion. That RPG could be mined for many ideas for a "children of the gods" sort of campaign.

*shudders* Ashamed I ever Did the premier and the Demo's of Scion. You don't WANT, to mine Scion for Ideas. It's horribly broken rules wise, and as for Continuity, it was Developed initially, as a post apocalyptic WESTERN with extra stuff *cough`DEADLANDS`cough* and mutated into an example of what you get if you take ONE piece, of every previous system edition, and tape it all together with spit and baling wire, under one cover.

It is, however, oddly fun to Run and Play. But's it's fun in that running around with an M-80 way. Good time until it blows off a few fingers.

The Idea is sound though. The Books are actually written well. More of a Modern day Tom Swift and Tom Swift Jr. level of writing as opposed to the Harry Potter stuff which is meant to be Read To small children, or let slightly older children read them, the Percy Jackson stuff is actually written at the Teen Level, as entertainment for an older age group, very much like the Tom Swift stuff was back in the Day.

You can easily grab one of them at the Library. Quick read and unlike a Potter book, won't pollute your brain with writing that wouldn't get past a creative writing 101 intern.

~Rex

I would recommend checking out The Everlasting. It's a setting created by a former White Wolf author named Stephen Brown. It's like WOD minus the angst and 'our NPCs Pwn your PCs' White Wolf mentality. It's nominally a complete game, but really more of a setting with some suggestions for rules thrown in out of necessity. I found those rules to be pretty much unplayable, but easy to ignore. One of the character types you can play is a Daeva, which is a sort of demigod with a connection to some pantheon.

The Book Of The Light has details about Daeva backgrounds, abilities and pantheoons. There's some fluff related to the really horrible system it includes (or at least did in the previous edition which I own) but overall it was quite easy to write up in Hero. You can get it in

I haven't read the Olympians books, but may give them a look since my 11 year old son is a big fan and owns them all.

• 4 months later...

It's like any other single source campaign Mike. All the heroes get their powers from their parents. The villains come from the greek myths. A substance called the Mist makes people see monsters as other things.

Satyrs can do nature magic. Artemis's Hunters are great archers.

Do you have anything specific in mind?

CES