Nova?

Sundog

Re: Nova?

Are the Iridium sats made of iridium?

They wish. Nope, the satellites are not made of iridium.

Originally there were going to be 77 satellites. This is the same as the atomic number (and number of electrons) of the element Iridium so they gave the satellites the same name.

Then the corporation found out they could get by with only 66 satellites. "Dysprosium" did not have the same dramatic sound, so they kept the name "Iridium".

They wish. Nope, the satellites are not made of iridium.

Originally there were going to be 77 satellites. This is the same as the atomic number (and number of electrons) of the element Iridium so they gave the satellites the same name.

Then the corporation found out they could get by with only 66 satellites. "Dysprosium" did not have the same dramatic sound, so they kept the name "Iridium".

I didn't think so, but it would have explained what the company wasted all their money on, leading to their failure. ;)

Possession is 9/10ths of the Law. I'm pretty sure, if some company manages to get up there to grab a nice chunk of metal in the form of an asteroid, then they'll own it. After all, how is someone going to take it away from them? That Outer Space treaty is a joke anyway and would go the same way as every other similar treaty that went to the compost heap dirtside, the second some company figured out how to make the profit exceed the investment.

~Rex

I understand that the total value on the current market of all the stuff that makes up a typical metallic asteroid is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000,000,000,000.

You'd think that would be an incentive.

Well, you have to subtract the transportation cost from that total.

Couple of Nukes, to nudge it in the right direction, then wait. Actually I think Jerry Pournelle's A Step Farther Out (which I found in my Lensman box), really laid out some nice stuff for all of that. Great book by the way if you have not read it (not counting you Nyrath I know you've read it heh).

~Rex

Possession is 9/10ths of the Law. I'm pretty sure' date=' if some company manages to get up there to grab a nice chunk of metal in the form of an asteroid, then they'll own it. After all, how is someone going to take it away from them? That Outer Space treaty is a joke anyway and would go the same way as every other similar treaty that went to the compost heap dirtside, the second some company figured out how to make the profit exceed the investment.[/quote']

Well, up until the point where the company has the capability of slicing off the asteroid chunks capable of annihilating entire cities and accelerating them into an Earth impact trajectory. Before that point the company will experience an expression of displeasure from the national government which has jurisdiction (e.g., the company will be nationalized, the corporate headquarters will experience a commando raid capturing all the CEOs, military spacecraft will seize the company's spaceborne assets, something like that).

Actually I think Jerry Pournelle's A Step Farther Out (which I found in my Lensman box)' date=' really laid out some nice stuff for all of that. Great book by the way if you have not read it (not counting you Nyrath I know you've read it heh).[/quote']

Yes, I have a note to that effect on the title page of my Atomic Rocket site.

I still think, the "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" (And other death from above examples) (since being on the moon will make it easier to get the rocks in the belt in the first place), will Trump "Big Guv'ment Nationalization". Besides, those politicians had to get their "Elect me" money from some place right? That is if they are still really around in any sort of power at all (Mega Corp evolution), but most likely, I lean towards a world power like, China or India, or even Russian, that's going to look at that Outer Space Treaty and go...."Yeah....so what."

~Rex