10 Sci-Fi Weapons That Actually Exist

Nyrath

Re: 10 Sci-Fi Weapons That Actually Exist

nah when you do Riot Duty you tend to do it' date=' Without (officially) Guns, that way the rabble that is in deserving of a good beating, can't take your weapon and use it on you. Also, it's pretty easy to shove people around with those shields, and facing down a good Shield wall (The Chinese have the best Riot Squads by far right now I'd say), takes a Lot of nerve. It's very intimidating to be on the wrong end of the Shields and Sticks.[/quote']

Absolutely. Though the answer to shields and sticks is in any medieval history text.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Though the answer to shields and sticks is in any medieval history text.

Medieval? Just take a leaf out of the 19th century - a pocketful of ball bearings will bring a shield to charge to a flailing end remarkably quickly.

Yeah but a Riot Control advance, isn't your typical "CHARGE!!!!". It's meant as crowd control, the movement and presentation is different, slow, steady, and confined. The Ball Bearings though would do wonders if fired out of a Pipe as a Mortar though heh....

~Rex

I like the Politically Correct descriptions of the weapons-

The Active Denial System fires a beam of millimeter-wave radiation
When they actually mean "it fires microwaves".
Incorrect. It fires milliwaves. Microwaves would do actual damage. Milliwaves only affect the outer two or three layers of cells and make the target feel very uncomfortable.

I like the Politically Correct descriptions of the weapons-

When they actually mean "it fires microwaves".

Well, notice how the other weapon had its name changed from Pulsed Impulsive Kill Laser to Pulsed Energy Projectile

Or show big giant movies of Metal Storm in Action vs sides of Beef, and then make it clear, Beef is tougher then people. Rubber Storm though, would be kinda funner though at that velocity and rate of fire, Nerf Storm.

~Rex

Incorrect. It fires milliwaves. Microwaves would do actual damage. Milliwaves only affect the outer two or three layers of cells and make the target feel very uncomfortable.

Except that there is no such thing as "milliwaves" and the microwave band includes milimetre long frequencies. But thank you for your crommulant correction.

Until you run into a really bad dude who doesn't care if his skin feels like fire.

There's one way to see just how tough you'd have to be to resist the ADS--bet on it. Whoever wants to try it kicks in twenty bucks or so, and they all stand in a group in front of the projector. Last man to turn away gets the pot.

Who wants in? :eg:

Seems like somebody could figure out the wavelengths the ADS uses, figure out a material that bounces or heavily mitigates that wavelength, and then attach it to some kind of outfit or uniform. Maybe even something a protester could carry in a backpack and throw on when they see the ADS truck sitting there.

Aye. The Civilian Hippy Outcry of "YOU CAN'T MICROWAVE PEOPLE LIKE A MARSHMALLOW PEEP!!!!!!!!" would crash that system real quick and we lose something very useful. As for the tough enough to withstand it, there's been a few Discovery type channel shows that showed off aspects of tough enough (Like, Human Guinea Pig), though I can see a good combination reality game show for this. "Stand there Contestants! Last one Standing gets to Pick a Briefcase!"

~Rex

If I had to guess about the future of slug-throwers, it'd be that the next big leap forward would be guided projectiles. Dunno whether that would involve tiny flight surfaces on the rounds, or whether you'd have tiny little rocket motors, too, to help steer the projectile towards its target. I also think proximity defense systems like the ones being developed for vehicles are probably going to be further developed to counter heavy projectiles like tank gun rounds. But I doubt it'd ever be cost effective to do that for individual infantry facing small arms fire.

If I had to guess about the future of slug-throwers' date=' it'd be that the next big leap forward would be guided projectiles. Dunno whether that would involve tiny flight surfaces on the rounds, or whether you'd have tiny little rocket motors, too, to help steer the projectile towards its target. I also think proximity defense systems like the ones being developed for vehicles are probably going to be further developed to counter heavy projectiles like tank gun rounds. But I doubt it'd ever be cost effective to do that for individual infantry facing small arms fire.[/quote']

While there's a guided round for the .50BMG in development, it's laser-guided, and for single-shot special-use precision fire. It's going to be a long, long time before the guided bullet or the homing bullet for general use becomes a reality.

While point defense systems against anti-tank missiles could happen in the foreseeable future, and perhaps even a system for use against HEAT cannon rounds, a PDS that's quick and accurate enough to stop kinetic-kill rounds is, again, a long, long way off.

The Future of Slug Throwers.......I will put some thought into that because various things I've seen, in Military Sci Fi lately, and the points made with them make a lot of sense. There's a lot of Simple things that can be done even today, that make the slug throwers viable for a LONG time. That's before factoring in that it's really hard to beat, the cost effectiveness, of making something break, or die, by hitting it with something else.

~Rex

The Future of Slug Throwers.......I will put some thought into that because various things I've seen, in Military Sci Fi lately, and the points made with them make a lot of sense. There's a lot of Simple things that can be done even today, that make the slug throwers viable for a LONG time. That's before factoring in that it's really hard to beat, the cost effectiveness, of making something break, or die, by hitting it with something else.

~Rex

Well, I know you can make the firing platform more stable, and the firing mechanism(ala the Metal Storm handgun) efficient enough that one slug simply follows another through the same hole. And you can continue to find ways to mitigate recoil effects, maybe to the point that special charge loads other than gunpowder could be used in cartridges(150% to 300% as powerful = 150-300% of the muzzle energy) without blowing up the gun or breaking the shooter's hand and/or shoulder. New bullet and gun materials (like perhaps nanofiber construction) is another thing to explore.

Oh it's an insanely huge list. The Bullet design for the .50 BMG round for example in the novel "Von Neumans War" , is actually quite doable. Just picture a 50 cal now, with 20 times the effective range.

Gets interesting real quick.

~Rex

Oh it's an insanely huge list. The Bullet design for the .50 BMG round for example in the novel "Von Neumans War" , is actually quite doable. Just picture a 50 cal now, with 20 times the effective range.

Gets interesting real quick.

20 times the range? How would that be accomplished? There's some pretty simple and definite physics involved in the limits on effective range.