Myrlyn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions Miniatures/Heroclix Mods

>> Bengalelf

re: selling them

don't do it. not till you give up on all gaming. you'll regret it.

seasons change.

I really do not see me returning to tabletop. I am getting to deep in VTT. Plus I need the room. I thought I would pass them on to another person who could enjoy them and use them. Problem is no one has bid on any of my auctions. Maybe there just isn't a market for Champion Heroclix.

what is the green stuff and what paint do you all use that will not flak

"Green stuff" is a two-part epoxy putty that miniatures sculptors use. It comes in a tube with two colors -- blue and yellow -- that when mixed together begin to harden. It takes 15-30 minutes for it to harden, and until that time you can work it like clay.

Paints that don't flake... the first thing you need to do to make sure your paints don't flake is to give the miniature a good solid basecoat of primer. Primer is a type of paint that you spray or brush on, that helps the rest of the paint to stick better. I usually use a spray-on white or black primer that I buy at my local hobby store. Make sure you let it dry fully before you begin painting!

As for the rest of it, it really depends. There's a lot of good paints out there. I know people who use Testors model paint, which works just fine. There are some expensive paints out there specially designed for miniatures painting, like the Reaper Mastercraft paints and Vallejo paints. If you don't want to spend a ton of money, the inexpensive paints they sell at Michael's and Hobby Lobby (with brand names like Apple Barrel) usually work just fine.

When you're done painting, a little Sealer will help keep the miniature from chipping or scratching. There's spray-on and brush-on sealers available. I usually look for a matte finishe because I don't want my figures to look shiney.

• 5 weeks later...

I found a new miniature that I'm going to have to get my hands on as a wonderful stand in for Dr. Silverback.

Dr. Silverback (MC) - From the AT-43 line of figures, this is the Karmans: Mentor Freezer figure. I don't see this figure requiring any modifications as the power armor he's wearing is already perfect in many respects. :)

RKHATK06.jpg

Y'know, I keep seeing those AT-43 figures and I keep thinking about buying some, but for some reason they just don't look as great in person as they do in the pics.

But maybe that's just me. :\

Is it a matter of the "professional" paint job done for selling purposes, as opposed to the assembly line painting of the ones in the packs?

I've found a quick repaint over the "factory finish" can really do surprising things for some of these kinds of figs. You can really see it in some of the Heroclix repaints on the web. I'm betting this figure would end up being similar. The sculpt is actually pretty good, but you need a paint job like the one shown above to really bring it out.

Y'know, I keep seeing those AT-43 figures and I keep thinking about buying some, but for some reason they just don't look as great in person as they do in the pics.

But maybe that's just me. :\

The reason that the minis look different in the picture compared to the actual mini is the pro painters that work for Rackham are really good. I have been playing AT-43 for a while and the level of detail they get on a pre-painted mini is really good. The sculpts are alright some are better than others but the real, win is that they repaint very nicely without losing detail do to the quality of the cast as compared to other minis of this same venue (pre-painted plastics). Also I think that the painters paint the green stuff original sculpt right after they make the master from it, so they can get pre-production shots for advertising and the like.

Red

• 1 year later...

Nice jobs' date=' Hulka. Care to share the recipes (IE, which Heroclix figures you used)? :thumbup:[/quote']

Sure, I had intended to but completely spaced it, so thanks for reminding me.

Shamrock was a Heroclix Hypertime Bane. I think Batman: Alpha Bane is the same sculpt. Anyway, he was stripped with acetone and re-painted, but the re-paint is simple enough you can probably forego the stripping and just re-prime the figure over the Heroclix paint.

Brick was a Heroclix Xplosion Abomination with the creature from the black lagoon ears cut off. Like Shamrock, he was stripped and re-painted so that the scales (hopefully) look like bricks.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...