Firefly Hero (reprise)

Dr Divago

Hi all

i was searching for a conversion/adaptation of firefly with Hero System

googling here and there (and searching inside the forum) i found there was a Firefly Hero conversion, but all websites are actually unreacheable

so i was wondering: there is someone else who did firefly hero conversion? or got material from one of those unreacheable websites?

ty for answers

Re: Firefly Hero (reprise)

I played in a game set in the Firefly universe, GM: Manic Typist (on these boards). I don't know how much conversion work he put into it, we mostly just built our own crew along the lines of Space Western and went from there. You might benefit sending him a PM, but again, I don't know how much adaptation was involved, we mostly just took the flavor and seasoned to taste.

Being pushed to do Firefly Hero again for some of my players. On top of just being good fun, and a wonderful blend of pulp, western, and sci fi, one of the things I've always liked about the setting and the style is that it is very easy to run it, for a small group of people, OR a large group. I always point people out to Susano's site though so they can get a good idea of the scale, and the actual material in the Serenity RPG line, translates over to HERO very easily.

~Rex

Firefly was wonderful... and really really easily done with Hero/Traveller Hero

its one of those projects i have never gotten around to though

Which is not surprising. I half believe that Firefly is based on some Traveller campaign that Joss Whedon ran when he was a teenager. Guns as primary armament in a space-faring culture. Check. Nobility who still settle affairs of honor with swords in a high-tech environment. Check. Poor people traveling around in low passage like cryogenic berths. Check. The main "alien" antagonists are just humans in disguise Check.

Hey' date=' Traveller was a very popular game at one time. While I'm talking about this, how many fantasy authors have used their D&D games as fodder for novels?[/quote']

Quag Keep and The Deed of Paksenarrion are both D&D influenced.

Speak to me of this Quag Keep. I have no aspirations that I am into refined literature. I often find that I like the TSR/Wizards licensed books better than so called classics.

Quag Keep came out... uhmmm... in 1979 and was written by Andre Norton. I only vaguely remember it, but recall it being touted as the first (A)D&D novel. I do recall something about the players becoming their characters and dice spinning on silver wires and the like. There's a sequel (Return to Quag Keep that came out in 2005.

Here's a preview:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dJgUfsbki3YC&printsec=frontcover&dq=quag+keep&source=bl&ots=ZosccGdKYM&sig=Y8a8u1KfKaShPfahuQ1bY2OzPcc&hl=en&ei=QGNYS7WFJcmztgfJqNihBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Hey' date=' Traveller was a very popular game at one time. While I'm talking about this, how many fantasy authors have used their D&D games as fodder for novels?[/quote']

Love Traveller, it's my primary Demo responsibility (and the other games that use it's engine) for Mongoose. Herr Susano though is spot on with his book spots there. Another blazingly authored series based on their personal games, is the Malazan Empire Material from Stephen Erikson. Pretty good if you are into Every Major character being either, A god, a Demi God, an Assassin, really good with knives protected by a God, or possessed by one, and Wizards, all of course with beyond God Like Power, and, Demon summoning hand grenades and of course unstoppable undead demigods with stone swords, oh, and demigod assassin monsters as well and giant elemental force of nature killer dogs......

All based on their DnD game and later Gurps stuff and from the looks of those books you would need Hero 6e to pull off the basic starting PC of roughly 6000 points and 100 points of complications.

~Rex

*smacks head*

How could I have forgotten...

Wild Cards is based on George RR Martin's Superworld game (IIRC) and Record of Lodoss War is based on an AD&D campaign run during college (I think) by the author. It eventually became a multiple series anime, manga, and novel set.

Lodoss War was built for the Forcelia setting originally (Currently the main setting for the Swordworld RPG). The Standard Role Playing system (SRS) (another Japaneese RPG) inspired a ton of spin offs into Manga and anime, AND, the other way around as well. Really need to get my hands on an English translation for that my Japanese is limited to a few swear words nowadays.There is also a couple of Standard Genre Variants out there based on various manga and anime. The Swordworld RPG has spun off even more.......Those guys keep busy.

I suppose if you dig, you'll find piles. All you really need to do, is look at an Author Bio and see if you spot the term "Avid Gamer" and or "I'd like to thank my gaming group...." etc etc ......

~Rex

Sounds like a project for someone heh. To get back on topic though, I did a serious rewatch of all the episodes, the latest DvD for the movie, and scamed up the comics and the novels as well. I think, I'm going to have to go for a more cinematic point level for the heroic rebuilds to 6th Ed. Need to test out a few version in play this weekend. One thing about Firefly, it's always easy to find players. :D

~Rex......

Raymond E Fiests Magician series was based on a campaign world - don't know what system he was using tho

I am pretty sure that he was using D&D one of the early editions. Either white box or AD&D 1st ed. Before his books came out IIRC he was part of Midkemia press who came out with some of the best campaign books for D&D ever (Including a great conversion of Thieve's world).

About the main Thread.

I am currently playing in a Hero System Serenity/Firefly game. We uses pieces of Star Hero and Dark Champions to come up with characters etc. It's more or less a conversion of the Serenity RPG with stuff the GM has fabricated on his own. It's a ton of fun.