What does a Time Elemental do?

BoneDaddy

Re: What does a Time Elemental do?

I came up with a character called Paradox who did things like deflecting missiles by making them move around him in a straight line' date=' slowly walking at a hundred miles an hour, and freezing people with the heat from sunlight. He was, to put it mildly, challenging to run.[/quote'] Did he have a Susceptibility to things that won't harm him?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True - But a Time Elemental can simply flow backwards until the appropriate spot and kill you before you even thought of opposing it. Or' date=' stir the dust collecting into your planet a bit and your entire world is changed - Such that you are completely unrecognizable, if you are there.[/quote']

I see no good reason to allow both time travel and a brittle model of historical change.

I see no good reason to allow both time travel and a brittle model of historical change.

Neither do I, adventures are so much more rewarding when changing the past is nearly impossible. I also dislike having the ability to write yourself out of the time-stream, since that causes untold measure of logistics problems. I would go with, anything that's happened stays happened, but that doesn't mean it will have happened this time. But that makes it impossible to actually muck about with the past at all, since it will only effect a different timeline. Of course, it does fit easily into a Sliders type campaign since it will be almost impossible to return to your original timeline.

PS. A cookie to whoever understood me.

True - But a Time Elemental can simply flow backwards until the appropriate spot and kill you before you even thought of opposing it.

Why? There is no set standard to what a “Time Element” can do. That’s what this thread is about. You are assuming an amount of power and certain abilities, with as far as I can see, no rational for having them be that powerful.

Or' date=' stir the dust collecting into your planet a bit and your entire world is changed - Such that you are completely unrecognizable, if you are there.[/quote']

Again, why? Why would a Time Elemental be able to stop the planet from forming any more than a Fire Elemental could burn the earth to a cinder or a Water Elemental could drown all life at once?

Why? There is no set standard to what a “Time Element” can do. That’s what this thread is about. You are assuming an amount of power and certain abilities, with as far as I can see, no rational for having them be that powerful.

Again, why? Why would a Time Elemental be able to stop the planet from forming any more than a Fire Elemental could burn the earth to a cinder or a Water Elemental could drown all life at once?

They wouldn't. But they could certainly cause a massive butterfly effect.

All I'm doing is taking a few simple logical premises to their logical conclusion.

1) Time Elementals can travel through Time.

2) Time Elementals can affect matter, even if through speeding up and slowing down certain portions of it.

Therefore, a Time Elemental could, eventually, travel to any moment in time and affect the matter there. Therefore, in order to have a reasonably defeatable Time Elemental, they must be limited in how far they can travel from the "present".

Also, I said nothing about "Stopping the planet from forming". What I meant was, they could change what the planet would look like after it was formed, with, probably, no real control over the specific look.

There is no good reason to allow massive butterfly effects in a game.

That was my initial point - That allowing a Time Elemental to do the two most powerful things they could logically do *Would* make them too powerful.

And then a bunch of people came along and totally misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Why am I contributing, again???

Triangle Elemental

Slime Elemental

Surprise Elemental

Graduated Elemental

Up Elemental

Shakespearean Elemental

Elephant Elemental

Anger Elemental

George Elemental

Impoverished Elemental

Pink Elemental

Militant Elemental

Pointless Elemental

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Elemental

For the same reason a Water elemental would have complete' date=' unfettered access to the entire body of water into which they are summoned, unless they are [i']limited[/i] somehow.

So if you summon one Water Elemental in the Pacific Ocean it can control the entire ocean and any water connected to it? If that's your default I think you need to limit all your Elementals...

I guess I don't assume a "Time Elemental" could destroy the universe via time travel (I'm not even sure I would assume it would have unbridled passage through all time) so not letting it do so isn't a matter of "limiting" it since it couldn't do it anyway. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to explain my thinking. I'm thinking that I'm stuck on the use of "limit" for something that is not at all defined, so chalk it up to me getting stuck on the semantics...

The thought has popped into my mind that time elementals could be used as a device to explain why butterfly effects don't happen. They instinctively limit the alterations and redirect history into the previous path.

Time elementals' nature is to minimize unnatural meddling in the timestream. That's why you have to summon and bind them to get them to do otherwise.

I would see a time elemental as something like a singularity...not something that has access to the whole time stream, just the local one. But the more of them there are in one area, the more of the timestream they have access to. So, you'd have a lot of cool powers they'd be gaining access to in groups, but not relevant if you're only planning on building one. I'd also see a time elemental as something around which weird things happen, but which doesn't have a lot of outright offensive powers.

Basically, just stack auras (persistent effects) around the thing. It obviously needs a speed of twelve, and defensive stuff like the ability to warp projectiles and/or spells around itself by bending space-time (deflection), drain SPD and drain DEX. Offensively a freeze attack (slowing you down to the point where you take cold damage) the ability to turn your attacks back on you, a heat attack (speeding you up so that your body starts overloading and overheating, probably an EB with attached AID SPD and DEX)...the possibilities are endless. I think you could even justify a domination power that forces a PC to repeat a set of actions (they're stuck in a loop in the time stream).

So if you summon one Water Elemental in the Pacific Ocean it can control the entire ocean and any water connected to it? If that's your default I think you need to limit all your Elementals...

I guess I don't assume a "Time Elemental" could destroy the universe via time travel (I'm not even sure I would assume it would have unbridled passage through all time) so not letting it do so isn't a matter of "limiting" it since it couldn't do it anyway. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to explain my thinking. I'm thinking that I'm stuck on the use of "limit" for something that is not at all defined, so chalk it up to me getting stuck on the semantics...

I take the implicit definition to be the words involved. A water elemental is made of water' date=' travels through water, causes effects through water...[/quote']

If I understand you both correctly, you are essentially both stating that a Time Elemental should not be too powerful?