Norse Gods in Fantasy Hero

Parabola

Hi. I remember the Mythic Greece book from years ago and how it did the best job I have ever seen in a game of quantifying the Greek gods or any gods. To my knowledge, Hero Games never did that for any other pantheon but I wondered if there have been any unofficial attempts to do write-ups for the Norse gods or other panetheons of gods in Hero? I mean the versions from the myths, of course, not the comic book versions. Thanks.

Re: Norse Gods in Fantasy Hero

No Norse to my knowledge. I have Mythic Greece (which is awesome) and Mythic Egypt (which is okay but really the ancient Egyptians had nothing like the campaign-ready tradition of heroic epics like the Greeks did). The other Rolemaster Campaign Classics were Robin Hood, Arabian Nights, Vik-- *facepalm* I'll try and dig up my copy of Vikings and see if it says anything about the pantheon.

Hi. I remember the Mythic Greece book from years ago and how it did the best job I have ever seen in a game of quantifying the Greek gods or any gods. To my knowledge' date=' Hero Games never did that for any other pantheon but I wondered if there have been any unofficial attempts to do write-ups for the Norse gods or other panetheons of gods in Hero? I mean the versions from the myths, of course, not the comic book versions. Thanks.[/quote']

There was a Mythic Egypt and there was Campaign Classics which covered the Vikings. Stats, not so sure on and too bad my friend never published his whole Viking Mythos campaign since it went from when we were vikings in Europe to the Americas and then after the total party kill, we adventured across the rainbow bridge.

Just looked at the book: No stats for the gods, just descriptions.

Guest steamteck

There was a Mythic Egypt and there was Campaign Classics which covered the Vikings. Stats, not so sure on and too bad my friend never published his whole Viking Mythos campaign since it went from when we were vikings in Europe to the Americas and then after the total party kill, we adventured across the rainbow bridge.

Just looked at the book: No stats for the gods, just descriptions.

My copy of campaign classics Vikings! tells about the gods bt gives no stats unlike mythic Greece and Egypt..

No Norse to my knowledge. I have Mythic Greece (which is awesome) and Mythic Egypt (which is okay but really the ancient Egyptians had nothing like the campaign-ready tradition of heroic epics like the Greeks did). The other Rolemaster Campaign Classics were Robin Hood' date=' Arabian Nights, Vik-- *facepalm* I'll try and dig up my copy of Vikings and see if it says anything about the pantheon.[/quote']

I had looked over a friend's copy of "Mythic Greece" years ago and just found and ordered a copy on ebay. Yes it is awesome. I had forgotten that Mythic Egypt also gave information on the gods. I have seen the Vikings book and remember almost hitting the table in annoyance when I saw they didn't do for them what Mythic Greece did for the Greek gods. I'll see about finding Mythic Egypt.

I was over on the Gurps board and rather frustrated at how futile they think it is to stat the gods (just as well as their few attempts to stat characters like Heracles and Oddyseus were pretty inaccurate comapred to the meticulous job Hero did with Mythic Greece).

I'd consider a shot at doing a couple of the gods who do enough in Norse Myth to have any idea of their abilities like Thor and Odin. I suspect a lot of people would do a better job than I would but I'd slowly take a shot at it.

This thread gives some insight into Gods in general and how to "stat" them if you want to.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/72333-How-would-you-stat-up-gods-in-Hero-System?highlight=gods

This one does address Thor specifically

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/72753-What-Skills-Perks-Talents-would-make-sense-for-a-God

Lucius Alexander

Temple of the Palindromedary

I'd love to some day do a big ol' book on Norse mythology for gaming. Reading Norse mythology was what eventually got me into Fantasy, thence into gaming, thence into this job I gots now. ;)

As a matter of fact, I'm currently re-reading my favorite Norse mythology book to find some quotes to include in Fantasy Hero.

However, as fun as it would be to write a Norse myth book, I'm not sure it would sell well enough to be worth doing.

One of the Nordic sagas has some of the best quotes ever. Including the famous one that runs like this:

Norseman A goes up to Norseman B's cabin and opens the door only to get an axe in the face. He staggers back to the rest of his band and is asked "Is Norseman A in there?" His reply? "Of that I cannot say, but his axe sure is!"

I'd love to some day do a big ol' book on Norse mythology for gaming. Reading Norse mythology was what eventually got me into Fantasy, thence into gaming, thence into this job I gots now. ;)

As a matter of fact, I'm currently re-reading my favorite Norse mythology book to find some quotes to include in Fantasy Hero.

However, as fun as it would be to write a Norse myth book, I'm not sure it would sell well enough to be worth doing.

So, what is your favorite Norse Mythology book? I'd say mine was a collection translated by a man named Kevin Crossley-Holland.

Its too bad such a book might not sell very well. Did "Mythic Greece" do well back in the day? I realize a Greek Myth book might be a bit of a better seller. I understand the Egypt book did pretty well too?

Got your 5th edition book in front of me right now. :) Well, a bit to the side actually. The keyboard is in front of me.

Would you ever consider doing (just for us adoring on-line fans) just Thor himself as you might perceive him to be in Norse myth? Or just the main deities? I'd love to see a Norse Myth book. But at the same time, just seeing a few of the gods would be great. Unlike Greek myth, the Norse myths don't give us enough to really make up most of the gods. I'd guess probably Thor, Odin and Loki and maybe (a big maybe) Freyja.

Heck, just do a few of the main deities on-line and charge to download it. I'd buy it.

You know ... thinking on it ... it'd be cool to see a Deties & Demigods kind of book for Hero.

Mythology Hero?

The Ultimate Deity?

Divinities, Deities, and Demons?

Lucius Alexander

The Ultimate Palindromedary

Mythology Hero?

The Ultimate Deity?

Divinities, Deities, and Demons?

Lucius Alexander

The Ultimate Palindromedary

Now that would definitely sell. "Mythical Hero", a Deities&Demigod style of book for Hero featuring character sheets for gods and mythical heroes.

So, what is your favorite Norse Mythology book? I'd say mine was a collection translated by a man named Kevin Crossley-Holland.

I have a large assortment of Norse mythology books, including the Crossley-Holland, which isn't bad. In general my favorite collection of the stories is The Children Of Odin, by Padraic Colum. There's also a soft spot in my heart for the first Norse mythology book I ever read, a more-or-less children's book, D'aulaire's Norse Gods And Giants. (I also recommend D'Aulaire's Trolls.)

If you want to delve directly into the source material, I suggest Lee Hollander's translation The Poetic Edda and Jean Young's The Prose Edda. (I also have Carolyne Larrington's translation of the Poetic Edda, released a few years ago by Oxford World's Classics, but haven't read it and can't compare it to the Hollander.)

As a reference on the myths and their characters, I haven't found anything to beat The Dictionary of Northern Mythology, by Rudolf Simek.

For anthropological information on actual Norse/northern European religious practices, check out H.R.E. Davidson's Gods And Myths Of Northern Europe or Thomas DuBois's Nordic Religions In The Viking Age.

Would you ever consider doing (just for us adoring on-line fans) just Thor himself as you might perceive him to be in Norse myth? Or just the main deities? I'd love to see a Norse Myth book. But at the same time, just seeing a few of the gods would be great. Unlike Greek myth, the Norse myths don't give us enough to really make up most of the gods. I'd guess probably Thor, Odin and Loki and maybe (a big maybe) Freyja.

Well, if the itch ever took me I suppose I might. For most gamers' purposes, though, I suspect that character sheets for gods aren't as useful as ones for various monsters and NPCs that appear in the tales. Though it is true that, as with some Greek myths, there are stories of mortals contending with the Norse gods in various ways.

Note that you can find my writeup of Jormungandr in The Book Of Dragons. ;)

which made me very happy when I first saw it... I immediately busted out the sheet for my Epic Norse hero to see if he'd be up to pulling a Beowulf.

Pretty sure Grimwald could take 'im

6E Grendal gets Damage Negation for his Blade Bane.