Absorption to Growth

quozaxx

If you wanted to make a character/villain/monster that literally grows whenever he is shot or hit; would you use Absorption to Growth, or simply Growth with a Trigger?

Even though I think that Absorption to Growth would be a viable power; it may become expensive. Because first you have to have 1 level of Growth, Persistent, No END, and Then both Absorption to Energy and Physical (and a large amount of it) to compensate for the extra Growth + Persistent + No END.

Would you ever use Absorption to Growth?

Since Growth has extra PD and ED would you have to divide that by 1/2 since you are also raising a defense?

Re: Absorption to Growth

You are right, it will quickly become expensive, though there wouldn't be a requirement that it be Persistent or 0 END. As an Adjustment Power, Absorption simply requires you to have the Adjusted Power.

There could be circumstances where it would be useful, I have never had any reason to consider it, so I can't say if I would use it or not.

Since Growth is not by itself a 'Defense', I don't think it would be subject to the halving rule. The defense provided by Growth is sort of a 'side effect'. Besides, it is already going to be expensive, so applying the halving rule would make it ridiculously so.

I played the Growing Man in a one-shot game before. Absorption to Growth should turn out cheaper than Triggered Growth, especially in 6e where the higher levels of Growth get proportionally more expensive. You only need a minimal amount of Growth (you can now purchase Persistent without 0 END) and enough Absorption so that you can absorb the campaigns best attacks (6d6, using the Standard Effect Rule, will allow you to absorb upto 18 pts. for example). Increase your Absorption maximum based on how big you want to be able to get.

I played the Growing Man in a one-shot game before. Absorption to Growth should turn out cheaper than Triggered Growth' date=' especially in 6e where the higher levels of Growth get proportionally more expensive. You only need a minimal amount of Growth (you can now purchase Persistent without 0 END) and enough Absorption so that you can absorb the campaigns best attacks (6d6, using the Standard Effect Rule, will allow you to absorb upto 18 pts. for example). Increase your Absorption maximum based on how big you want to be able to get.[/quote']

Under 6E, Absorption is no longer bought as d6's. You buy it as the maximum Body you can absorb in a Segment, and the 'default' maximum you can absorb is 2x that. Since it's a non-random effect now, Standard Effect wouldn't apply.

On the flip side, it's extremely cheap, at 1 pt per Body/Segment. Every doubling of the max 'absorb-able' is a +1/4.

And in most cases, it will be FAR cheaper than Triggered Growth.