Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

Re: Anyone running any online games?

Updated character, at least I hope. dropped STR to 8, ED up to 5, Stun up to 26. If those values don't match I messed up the attachment process somehow. . .

Equipment; nothing spectacular:

Sword (cut&thrust variety rather than the thinner stabby-rapier)

maine gouche

pistol, with exactly two shots left to her name.

deck of tarot cards

clothes on her back

enough for a drink and meal at a disreputable bar (or a quick game of dice, whichever happens first)

a misplaced ship (she's sure she has one somewhere... scoundrels made off in the night, bloody pirates, could be anywhere by now.)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Finally I have a working model of the Magic System. Please note that this is an unplaytested release and will probably be subject to modification as it is tested in play.

EDIT:

Commentary

I wanted this magic system to have its own flavor and be easy to use. I was having a hard time with the section on Magi, because honestly I got to thinking how things would work and how best to represent those things within the game. The concept of Spellpower was based entirely on the +1 DC for every 5 points of STR above STR Minimum for melee weapons. That way, the character could build his own spells and add power to them.

Looking back over the rules now, I need to change some of the wording.

For a quick Errata, here is what is going to change;

• Building spells. Spells are limited by the campaign maximum points. They have a PRE Minimum (just like weapons have a STR Minimum). PRE Minimum is Active Points /10, round up. That would make the most powerful beginning spells at a PRE Minimum of 5.
  • Spellpower will be PRE - PRE Minimum. So in other words, if your character has a PRE of 13 and casts a 30 point Spell, he has a PRE Minimum of 3 for that spell. Subtracting 3 from 13 will leave you with a Spellpower of 10.
  • Spellpower can be used to increase incremental effects, including damage, and add Naked Advantages to spells.
  • In the Folk Magic section, the effects of Salt are going to be edited and expanded.
  • Considering adding a section on Potions. Basic idea is that they are magic effects, stored until the next Sunrise.
  • I will build some examples and possibly even a sample NPC.

Regarding Luludja; I applied the campaign rules for her. That changed her skill rolls slightly. Character looks good.

I can't wait to start, but I am somewhat worried about not having an actual written out setting yet. But I am good at improv so I should be good to go.

Remember that this Thursday is the first session. I will need character submissions from the folks who have expressed an interest in playing. If you have changed your mind for whatever reason, please let me know so I can plan for that. I will PM you all with server and password information for Maptool.

I will continue to post updates and information as I get them done. Should I create a new thread with the campaign name? That way I can keep the first message updated with changes in recruitment status and attachments posted to the thread.

Regarding Luludja; I applied the campaign rules for her. That changed her skill rolls slightly. Character looks good.

I can't wait to start, but I am somewhat worried about not having an actual written out setting yet. But I am good at improv so I should be good to go.

Interesting, they should have been applied already. Two greatest skills should be Streetwise 12- and Acrobatics 12-?

RE: a new thread, possibly a good idea to have all the pertinent files at the top, so to speak.

Interesting' date=' they should have been applied already. Two greatest skills should be Streetwise 12- and Acrobatics 12-?[/quote']I didn't have my thumb drive with those rules in when I loaded the character. I think it just defaulted to some HERO basic thing.

RE: a new thread, possibly a good idea to have all the pertinent files at the top, so to speak.
Yeah. All I/we have to do is find a campaign name. :)

For character history purposes' date=' what is the name of the town we're starting in?[/quote']A question I have been debating for a couple of days now. I know where I want you to end up, but I am not so sure where to kick it all off. Queenspoint. It is a mid-sized town on the Northern edge of Cape Keel. It is primarily a fishing town, though it also serves as a port of call for both Avalon naval vessels and merchant ships. While not as influential and well stocked as some of the larger colonial cities, it has a fair range of goods and services available. Cape Keel itself protects a section of the coastal region from the harsh storms that blow in off the ocean.

I can't wait to start' date=' but I am somewhat worried about not having an actual written out setting yet. But I am good at improv so I should be good to go.[/quote']

Looking forward to it. I'm just not sure what I like less.... magic or gypsies........

I have the basic character & concept done for Geoffrey Ailemer done. I think I have about 60 points left, but I have yet to purchase anything for his actual spellcasting yet. I was hoping that you would have a sample caster up, so I could kinda see how you want things built...

Geoffrey is in the islands as he took to the seas, after the inquisition burned his mother for being a witch. Needless to say, he is not very rational when known members of the Inquisition is around...

This is a preliminary concept

Quote: My father once told me he did not believe in monsters. That changed the day my powers manifested. That day we both saw monsters. He saw me. And I saw him.

Background:

Elmo di'Saggezza is a Magus born on the mainland of Vodacce near the border of Castille. His family are devout followers of the Vatacine faith and Elmo was raised with worship in his blood.

One day, not long after his fifteenth birthday, Elmo expressed his magical talent. His father, and indeed the whole village, turned on Elmo. His only option to flee, Elmo left his quiet village and wandered for some time. He was taken in by a monastery that he had stumbled across.

There, Elmo learned what he considers the true purpose of the Vatacine Church; the insatiable quest for knowledge and understanding. He sees the bigoted, narrow minded hatred of the Inquisition as a stain on the Creator's name.

On his eighteenth name day, Elmo took his vows and was ordained a priest in the Vatacine Church. Little did his companions realize, but Elmo had been studying his other talents and developing his magical knowledge. His resources were limited, so he was not able to learn as much as he would have liked to.

In his twenty second year on Theah, Elmo was granted the position of Father at a new church built in the Castillan colonies. He readily accepted and traveled to the New World to begin missionary work for the church. His mission provided much needed spiritual advice, food and medicine to the natives. Despite this, the entire colony was burned to the ground.

Again forced to flee, Elmo traveled northward. In the Avalonian colonies, his Vatacine upbringing is not exactly welcome. He has not faced too many problems so far though and has happily resumed his search into the arcane.

Personality:

Father Elmo is a devout priest of the Vatacine Faith. He is also a Magus. Realizing that this can cause him problems, Father Elmo has hidden his arcane abilities from others in his organization. The revelation that his fellows would burn him at the stake has not diminished his faith in the Creator nor his teachings. He holds the senior members of his congregation solely to blame for the current state of hostility and ignorance.

Still, Father Elmo holds faith that the Inquisition will be made to pass by the works of the inspired and enlightened. He furthers that goal by encouraging the normal folk to take their education seriously and to try to decipher the wonderful works of the Creator as often as possible. He will not publicly reveal his Magus skills though. Both the Objectionist and the Vatacine Churches would execute him if they knew of his secret.

Tactics:

Elmo has no specifically offensive magic. He could use his Magus Hand to push or punch somebody, but it is not generally the way he tries to deal with conflict. Of his known spells, he typically uses spellpower as follows.

Arcane Shield

• Increases all Defenses to 4. End Cost is raised from 2 to 4
  • Adds Hardened. Again, End Cost is increased to 3.

Magelight

• Buys off No Range. Increase END Cost to 4.
  • Buys off Costs END to Maintain. END Cost is increased to 3, but only to Activate. As a note, though it doesn't cost END to maintain the spell, Elmo must concentrate to maintain it. If he is Stunned or Knocked Out, the spell will still end.

Magus Hand

• Buys STR up to 15. END Cost is increased to 5.

Spontaneous Casting - Up to 15 Active Points. Note that all of these have the x2 END Cost and Requires a Sorcery Roll built in. As the character need not pay points, the final cost is irrelevant. Some things may have further Disadvantages.

• Lay on Hands - 1 1/2d6 Simplified Healing. Up to 9 STUN and 3 BODY. Can only be used once per combat scene per person. 3 END Cost. Instant
  • Mage Blade- Affects Desolid on up to 6 DC Blade. 3 END Cost. Maintained.
  • Hone Blade - Armor Piercing on up to 6 DC Blade. 3 END Cost. Maintained
  • Veil - -4 to Sight PER Group, Self Only. 2 END Cost. Maintained.
  • Track Subject- Detect Subject tied to Material Link, Ranged, Increased Arc of PER 360 degrees, Requires Arcane Connection. Costs END to Maintain. 3 END Cost.

Elmo di'Saggezza
Elmo the Wise

VAL    CHA    Cost    Roll    Notes
8     STR    3    10-    HTH Damage 1 1/2d6  END [1]
9     DEX    8    10-
10    CON    5    11-
12    INT    7    11-    PER Roll 11-
12    EGO    7    11-
15    PRE    20   12-    PRE Attack: 3d6
4     OCV    5
5     DCV    10
4     OMCV    3
4     DMCV    3
2     SPD     0    Phases:  6, 12
4     PD      2    4 PD (0 rPD)
4     ED      2    4 ED (0 rED)
5     REC     1
50    END     6
8     BODY    3    
20    STUN    0

Movement    Cost    Meters    Notes
RUNNING    0    12m/24m    END [1]
SWIMMING    0    4m/8m    END [1]
LEAPING    0    4m    4m forward, 2m upward

Characteristics Total: 85

Cost    Powers
   Magus Powers - END=
8    1)  Magic Pool: Endurance Reserve  (25 END, 5 REC) Reserve:  (11 Active Points); REC:  (4 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3) - END=0
8    2)  Magesight: Detect A Class Of Things 11- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Range (15 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) - END=0
   Spells - END=
7    1)  Arcane Shield: Barrier - Requires 6 Spellpower to increase 1 increment. All Defenses must be increased together. Max Campaign DEF is 4. 2 PD/2 ED/2 Mental Defense/2 Power Defense, 5 BODY (up to 1m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick), PRE Minimum 3 (+0) (20 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Sorcery Skill roll; -1/2), Costs Endurance (to maintain; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Semi-Lockout: Any additional spells cast have a cumulative -2 penalty to cast. (-1/4) - END=2
5    2)  Magelight: Sight Group Images, +/-4 to PER Rolls, PRE Minimum 2 (+0) (22 Active Points); OAF - Staff (-1), Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Sorcery Skill roll; -1/2), Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2) - END=2
8    3)  Magus Hand: Telekinesis (5 STR), Fine Manipulation (19 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Sorcery Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Semi-Lockout: -2 to additional spells cast while maintaining Magus Hand (-1/4) - END=2

Powers Total: 36

Cost    Skills
   Everyman
0    1)  Acting 8-
0    2)  Animal Handler (Equines) 8-
0    3)  KS: Folk Lore 8-
0    4)  Language:  Vodacce (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
0    5)  PS: Priest 11-
0    6)  Paramedics 8-
0    7)  Shadowing 8-
0    8)  Stealth 8-
   General
3    1)  Riding 10-
5    2)  Weapon Proficiency (Firearms, Large Blades, Small Blades, Staff) 
   Magus Skills
3    1)  Concealment 11-
3    2)  Cryptography 11-
3    3)  Deduction 11-
3    4)  Inventor (Spell Research) 11-
2    5)  KS: Magical Theory 11-
2    6)  KS: Sarne Ruins 11-
3    7)  Power:  Sorcery 12-
   Priest Skills
3    1)  Bureaucratics 12-
3    2)  Conversation 12-
3    3)  High Society 12-
2    4)  KS: Vatacine Doctrine 11-
2    5)  Language:  Avalon (fluent conversation)
3    6)  Language:  Ancient Theahan (completely fluent)
3    7)  Oratory 12-
3    8)  Persuasion 12-

Skills Total: 49

Cost    Perks
2    Deep Cover
3    Fringe Benefit:  Cleric

Perks Total: 5

Value    Complications
10    Distinctive Features:  Menacing aura: -1 to Charm, Conversation and similar skills (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15    Social Complication:  Maleficarum - Targeted by the Inquisition for heresy. Infrequently, Severe

Complications Points: 25

Base Points: 175
Experience: 0
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 175

Here is the closest I could get.

Cael stands at about 6' 2" with dark hair, vivid blue eyes, sharp features, several nautical tattoos, earrings and rings, Nyah's necklace, his weathered old marine coat, a dark cloak, and his tricorn, which he regards as his lucky hat. Doesn't go anywhere without it with him, and he collects little trinkets from memorable adventures and encounters to put on it.

Also, Cael plays the Inismore (Irish) fiddle, and has some skill at drawing. These were flavor elements that I want in the character but couldn't afford to put in with points.