Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

Re: Anyone running any online games?

I'm going to go ahead and adjust game start time to 6 PM Pacific for tonight. It will give me a few more minutes to get myself organized. This last week has been pretty time restrictive so this is possibly a good thing.

Note that I will be there at 5 (there now for that matter).

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A note of general possible interest. Maptools 1.3b64 is out and it is the final stable street release. From here on out Maptools 1.3 will only release "bug fixes", no new features are to be added. It will be several months before they start testing on version 1.4 (which will support true javascript).

Of note in the final release, is GM only auras for the tokens. That way a GM can add quick visual reference for things affecting a token, that the player may not be aware of.

I am working on a layered status bar thing that not only shows body, but also has one for END, and one for Stun. More later...

Thanks for the information Starwolf. Glad you keep up on these sorts of things.

Looking at the features list, I really don't see a reason to change what we are already using. I suppose there is a case for upgrading just to have the final release version, except that the author(s) have already stated that there will probably be bug fixes and one of the comments in the features indicates some experimental code. I have no objection to upgrading, but I think any assumption that this new update is the final, stable version is a fallacy.

I propose that we use what is currently working for us and watch the bug fixes in the near future. If it gets to a point where no big fixes are getting released and the overall attitude is that there isn't much more to fix, then we will talk about upgrading. What are your thoughts?

I agree whole heartedly. But we need to be careful not to confuse inaction with stability, as this is the first release in almost 6 months... due to inactivity. If there is new code involved I say wait and see what transpires, unless they happened to release some universe altering new functionality... like native HD import support (yeah like that would happen :D ) See at this weeks game!

As I understand it, java may not have installed correctly. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling Sun Java. Aside from that, the standard; make sure it is in a Folder you have full permissions to. Your "User" folder would be the most ideal place (example C:\Users\Savienien ). I do not have Windows 7, but I know Starwolf does and it works fine for him. I have to go out today, so I will not be able to help you by searching the RPTools.net forums, but I would suggest that as an alternate course of action.

Hiya Sav... I also run Maptools on a laptop with Win 7. I do several things with both Vista and Win 7.

1) I turn off UAC, it adds a layer of protection against unauthorized changes to system files and folders, but with it off your system is still just as secure as XP ever was, and Windows will quit asking your permission to do things, including installs and unzipping into thr program files folder.

2) As Nol said uninstall and re-download and install the latest Java runtime. I install maptools into c:\users\phelix\documents\rpg\maptools. Then I create a shortcut to the Maptoollauncher.exe file on my desktop.

3) On the memory setup screen, I have mine set to 1024 Max 64 Min, and Stack size 4. In the past we have had people get load and connection problems if the memory was not set high enough.

I hope this helps.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here, please be aware that many folks in the IT field think it is a bad idea to turn off UAC. While it is a PITA, I understand that it does help with security. Turn it off at your own risk.

Me, I leave it on as I have never had a problem with it. I install almost nothing to the Program Files folder anyway so I generally have full permissions to whatever folder I do decide to use.

I agree in concept with Nol, most users should probably leave it on. But you can also toggle it off, do what you need to do, and then toggle it back on.

OTOH the only time I have ever had a drive crashed due to a virus, I had UAC enabled... so in my case it did not help. It is far more important to have a good security suite (I use McAfee), and a good firewall. I also periodically change my passwords and network security encryption key.

All I wanted to do was provide an alternate opinion and not one that I have the heart to vigorously defend anyway. I don't mind UAC but I ain't invested in it either. Do whatever works for you. In the meantime, I think we have provided enough information until Sav or anybody else needs a question answered. Let's not turn this into an IT ideology debate.

Some random musing.

• Sav, did you ever get MapTool to work?
  • I need to update the macro code to account for Multiple Attacks. The old Gemini Ascendant macros were flawed in this regard. I think I have a method that I can use. Will test it later. Done!
  • Server is up should you want to drop by before game. Mostly for Sav's benefit to make sure MapTool will allow him to connect. I may or may not be at the keyboard at any given time.
  • See you tonight.

My Tarot deck arrived - I ended up with the Fenestra Tarot, which is just a gorgeous piece of artwork.

Also... campaign name possibility:

Wheels Of Fortune or Fortunes Wheel ... dunno, struck as a good catch. Seems all the Characters left behind something in the old world to chase down their fortune (for good or ill) in the new.

(and yes, part of the inspiration came from the tarot card Luludja found on her person on the second session, but not all).