Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

Re: Anyone running any online games?

Considering the lethality of this game, I've made a backup character just in case (but mostly just for fun.) Sort of a secret agent/spy/assassin type dude, very much skills-oriented but has a couple basic unarmed martial arts maneuvers to help him out. The basic story is that he was a masterful actor in Avalon, and the government hired him out to keep an eye on foreign movements in the colonies. I will develop more if I get the go-ahead, otherwise I'm not going to bother with it just now.

It's missing flavor text and some skill labels but it's mostly complete. If anything, I would try to shave off a few points here and there and tack them onto STR to make him a more effective hand-to-hand combatant.

What do you think?

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking over this subject for a little while now. I am going to propose two changes to how we do things.

1. Starting BODY: I suggest we start BODY at 10. The other stats remain where they are. This is only for PCs and major NPCs. Mooks, thugs, agents, goons, whatever still start out at 5. I'll adjust the HDT file to reflect the change in rules and adjust the tokens.

2. On the flip side, I don't want Healing to take away the threat of getting injured. With that in mind, all Healing would all be Simplified Healing. Simplified Healing would be calculated like Normal Damage but in reverse. The total would Heal Stun. On any dice that come up 1, 0 Body is healed, 2-5 =1 Body Healed, and 6 = 2 Body healed. In addition, it would take 1 Body on the Healing dice to stop bleeding and 1 Body to Heal Impairment. The Healing effect would have to be bought with the Can Heal Limbs option and still require 2 of the rolled Body to do so.

Example:

John Doe gets shot in the stomach for 9 Body and 28 Stun. Geoffrey rushes to his friend's aid and uses a Healing spell on him. He rolls 4d6 and gets a 1, 4, 4, 6. The total Stun healed is 15. The total Body healed is 4. The 1 heals no Body, each 4 heals 1 Body each, and the 6 heals 2 Body.

Example:

Luludja takes a Musket shot to the Vitals, tearing apart her Kidney and causing Bleeding damage and an Impairing Wound in addition to the 16 Body and 28 Stun she suffers. Again, Geoffrey casts his Healing spell. Geoff gets lucky this time and rolls 3,2,6,6 for a total of 17 Stun and 6 Body Healed. In order to stop the Bleeding, he has to use 1 of the Body rolled. In order to remove the Impairing wound, he must use another of the rolled Body, leaving only 4 left to Heal the actual damage. The final four rolled Body increase Lulu's Body from -1 to 3 (assuming we increase base Body score). She is hurting, but by no means dead.

The one Healing per Wound rule would be enforced.

Thoughts?

Well that's 5/6. So I am going to implement. Thanks for the replies guys. I really didn't like what I was seeing with Vitals and Head shots. Most of the characters would be Dead (negative Body = to Body) with one shot. While I want my campaign to be lower in power, I don't want it to be an exercise in frustration for the players. I will change things in the Maptool file immediately. Rather than change the HDT file, just add a Power Heroic Resilience +5 Body with a -5 Custom Adder: GM Freebie. That saves me some small amount of time and effort.

While we're on the subject, I have a question about the healing ritual. Is it a sort of thing where the "casting time" is 20 minutes then I must release the spell immediately, or does it work like a cleric's "prepared" spell, where I do the ritual at some point during the day and can "release" the spell anytime I wish? I suspect the former but it's worth confirming.

Also, with the added BODY I am now sitting at 17 BODY. Is that ok or should I kick it down to 15 and do something else with the extra points?

While we're on the subject, I have a question about the healing ritual. Is it a sort of thing where the "casting time" is 20 minutes then I must release the spell immediately, or does it work like a cleric's "prepared" spell, where I do the ritual at some point during the day and can "release" the spell anytime I wish? I suspect the former but it's worth confirming.

Also, with the added BODY I am now sitting at 17 BODY. Is that ok or should I kick it down to 15 and do something else with the extra points?

Once the 20 minutes are up, the spell is cast. Delayed effect would be required elsewise.

Updates:

Try as I might, I could not get the darn attack macro I was working on to work properly. So I cheated. For now I have to create a separate selectTargetMacro for each player (not hard at all) and make sure that the attackMacro on your token points to the appropriate selectTarget macro. That way I can load up your specific weapons and martial arts right into the selectTarget macro. It will still work basically as I wanted it to, but it is more of a kludge than I wanted. Still shouldn't be too hard to deal with. The one thing I need you, as players, to be disciplined about is setting the distance between you and the target. At the very least, if you are at range put a 1 there. As I have the macro set up, a distance of 0 signifies a melee attack and STR will be computed into the mix.

I still need to work in the reduced by range on the musket and pistol. It was working before with the specific macro, but I have to figure out how to implement it again. I'm confident that it should not be too much of a problem.

So status as of now is that I need to:

• Create the code for the RBR. Done!
  • Try to move the weapon list to a called macro. I don't want macro bloat to slow us down.
  • Create a codified list of maneuvers. I may do like I did with the weapons and only place your maneuvers in the selectTarget but all of the published maneuvers into the macro.
  • Modify the existing attack resolution to incorporate the modifications from maneuvers.
  • (Long-term) modify the macro to account for maneuvers that don't specifically do damage (disarm, shove, grab, etc). Note to self, explore a switch for this.

Since most of this is not 6th ed specific, might I suggest asking Brad to "borrow" some of his attack macros. They seem to work pretty well for basic hero combat. Also, I asked you about possibly "watching" one of the sessions on maptool one of these weeks. Would any of the players object to me sitting in? The setting sounds really cool and I would love to see how it plays.

As the GM, I also have no objection. I would only ask that any questions be saved until the session is over and play is finished for the night.

I also have no problem with other folks using my macro stuff. I am always tinkering with the code though, so today's macros may look very different from yesterday's or tomorrow's. And, per our conversation on the server, Mojo, if your GM is who I think he is, he is a much better coder than me. Still, I have no objections if he wants to use anything I've built. My code may not be subtle or elegant but sometimes a Mack truck is all you need to get the job done.

I'm fine with a lurker.

I was thinking about the added BOD today and wondered if you couldn't use combat luck to represent the same thing/ I've used it in the past, though I admit it is quite arbitrary and some attack builds don't work well with it (blow gun sleep darts...).

Just a thought.

I get the idea that Dracheneisen is some sort of "super" metal. I'd probably either give it Armor Piercing or a combination of extra DC plus Reduced Negation. At any rate, the rarity of it vaults prices pretty high. Probably anywhere from 50 to 100 times the price of a non-Dracheneisen equivalent.