Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anyone running any online games?

I'm sure Lez let you guys know... I still cannot use Maptools on my laptop and I lost my ISP. My dad is still in the hospital and I haven't made the time to get the net connection at my house fixed. I wasn't even sure the game was a go. I've been working a lot of twelves in a row. Things should change drastically next week.

Sorry.

I'm sure Lez let you guys know... I still cannot use Maptools on my laptop and I lost my ISP. My dad is still in the hospital and I haven't made the time to get the net connection at my house fixed. I wasn't even sure the game was a go. I've been working a lot of twelves in a row. Things should change drastically next week.

Sorry.

Sav, your dad is in the hospital and you are worrying about this game. I'd smack you if I was there. Take care of the important stuff first. Rotman is in good hands. Promise.

Being that the session was mostly combat and cut short, I am going to put off writing a summary until next week. If somebody wants to write a descriptive accounting of the combat, I'll go ahead and post that (with proper credit of course) and my own Behind the Scenes observations.

Update: Been working on Macro coding.

Change Log:

• Moved a portion of the Hit Location code into a separate called macro. This is important because the previous way would output the exact same Hit Location due to being earlier in the code than the damage resolution.
  • Changed the way Body damage is calculated for Normal Damage vs Killing Damage. I believe it works correctly now.
  • Added in Multiple Attacks. This only works against a single target. If multiple attacks are made, the Attack macro has to be run for each one. I may try to find a resolution to that in the future, but it is pretty low on my list of things to do.
  • Use the Attacks v2.3 Macro button now.
  • (edit) Set an if statement to 0 out Body if defenses drop it below 0.
  • (edit) Fixed General Hit Location error caused by me moving code around.
  • (edit) Fixed inaccurate Hit calculation based on multiple attacks. Also set default number of attacks to 1.

Still To Do:

• Geoffrey's Spells. With actual Powers that are individual by nature, I see no easy way to standardize this process. Each one is going to have to be it's own macro. That's not to say that the spells will not call on Lib token macros that already exist.
  • Add Combat & Martial Maneuver functionality. Not yet sure how to best do this.
  • Add in automatic tracking of current CV values based on maneuvers, character states (Prone, Stunned, etc), or whatnot.
  • Figure out an initiative system that works well. I have some ideas, but I am not exactly sure how to implement.

Discussion, Musings, & Theory

The further I go into the macro coding process, the more I am realizing that there is no "one macro button fits all" solution. I have tried to simplify things on the front end for you, the players. Instead of having 20 skill buttons, I am trying to keep it concise at one button with a selection of 20 skills. Instead of four to ten different buttons for attacks, I try to keep it to one button. Keeping the house clean is one of my top priorities.

On the back end, things are starting to get complex. The most obvious example is the selectTarget macro. You guys don't generally see that one because it is a "trusted" macro that exists on the Lib:GM token on a hidden map. When you click on the Attacks button, that is the very first "trusted" macro that is called. In it, I have stored your personal weapons and attacks. It is also the place where I am planning on storing your Combat & Martial Maneuvers. This isn't a problem really, but it does require a separate selectTarget for every distinct character. My point, aside from general whining (:) ) is that from time to time, I might slip up and forget to add something to your macro. Just remind me.

Adding in non-damaging Martial Maneuvers (Disarm, Grab, etc) is going to require some time and effort for me to test a couple of theories. I might be able to just add the damage type of "Exert" which will roll the DC as STR dice ("normal" Body damage with an alternate output). That's the easy part. Figuring how that is going to work with weapons is going to be my challenge. More on that later.

Overall, I believe we are getting closer and closer to having a complete macro framework. As I said before, I would very much like to find a way to pull the Weapons and Maneuvers out of individual macros and put them in the token properties. That way, the macro could pull them out of the token and I would only need one selectTarget rather than one for each unique PC, NPC or class of character.

In the meantime, I am going to be looking for a free/cheap webhost where I can post updates to the campaign file.

More later.

Good news. I stripped out everything that was not essential to the campaign file. I got rid of the Handouts Code (not mine) and another add-on that I did not make. I also stripped off all of the tokens except for the GM token and all the maps. As a result, the bare code for the Campaign file is only about 60 kb.

I am attaching the Campaign file to this message.

To test it out;

1. Create a new map. You can do a quick map for this purpose.
  2. Copy the GM token to the new map twice.
  3. Edit each token and change the name and picture if you like.
  4. Use the Campaign macros. The Skill List and Everyman Skills use the exact same code. I just kept them separate as the Skills are going to change and the Everyman ones will probably not.
  5. You can drag the Campaign Macros over to the tokens if you like. If you start to change weapons on the selectTarget macro, make sure you make copies of that macro and make sure you change which selectTarget is referenced by the Attack macro on the token.
  6. Ask me questions if you like. I have not included an INSTRUCTIONS.TXT despite my admonition in the secret map.
  7. I believe you have to have Use Tooltips for Inline Rolls checked.
  8. Have fun.

I will grab and test the new campaign file. Also I will have that web space we talked about setup this coming Friday evening. So not by this weeks game, but hopefully soon enough. Do you have a domain name picked out?

In other news... I give you John Hardesty.

John Hardesty was born to Avalonian Captain James Hardesty, Captain and master of His majesties ship HMS Narwhale. Initially raised by his mother, young John was taken to sea at the age of eight when she perished of the plague. John started as ships boy, and through the years has done just about every job there is aboard a naval warship. Life at sea is hard and the young boy was forced to grow in a hard way. It didn’t help that he was roguishly handsome, and thus was made sport of by his ship mates, being called “ladies man”, and “lover boy” even when not warranted. As with all men they excel in some things and wax average in others. John has become a fair hand and able bodied seaman that can crew any vessel, but he truly excels when at the helm with the wind at his back and the mainsails billowing full. Being raised amongst the crew of a naval warship has also made him a fair hand with ships cannon.

At the age of 18 his father called in several favors and got John an appointment to the Royal Naval Academy where he learned navigation and was introduced to the sword. John began to excel as a fencing student and soon was actually challenging his fencing master. That is where his trouble began. In his class was one Carl Smythe, the son of an Avalonian baron, that was jealous of Johns growing skill, and lost no opportunity to bedevil, and torment him. One evening Carl and three of his cronies caught John crossing the academy gardens alone, and decided to put him in his place. During the hazing tempers flashed followed by blades… suffice it to say that it cannot stand for the son of a lowly sea captain to scar the son of royalty. John was dismissed in disgrace from the academy. Now at the age of 21 John has journeyed to the new world in hopes of a fresh start and finding his fortune, far from the vengeful politics of the Baron and his son Carl.

I have an idea. How many Weapons or Martial Maneuvers does the average character have? Would you say 4-6? I may have my problem solved.

I have two weapons plus my fists, and four martial maneuvers, but two of them are defensive and have no DC's (Parry a form of blocking, and the Froissement which is a fencing disarm).

I have an idea. How many Weapons or Martial Maneuvers does the average character have? Would you say 4-6? I may have my problem solved.

I believe so, but with the potential to go much higher, if the plan goes as in my head (hahaha!) I'd wager a final count around 10 Maneuvers before too long.

Just noticed that it is using a single damage roll for multiple attacks. Will try to find a solution tomorrow or Sunday' date=' when I am more rested.[/quote']Somehow I got this to work, even though I have no idea what I did differently from last night. So now, we can do multiple attacks and have each attack randomly hit a different location and do a different amount of damage. Still only works against one target at this time and probably for the foreseeable future.

John's Equipment list is in your aim mail box Nol
Got it. Overall, looks good. Have to go back over your background but in the meantime I hope being part of privateer crew isn't in conflict.

I have two weapons plus my fists' date=' and four martial maneuvers, but two of them are defensive and have no DC's (Parry a form of blocking, and the Froissement which is a fencing disarm).[/quote']

I believe so' date=' but with the potential to go much higher, if the plan goes as in my head (hahaha!) I'd wager a final count around 10 Maneuvers before too long.[/quote']The number is not so important as it is to get a rough gauge of how many new token properties to add. I will add a total of ten then, just in case. Assuming, of course, I can even make this work.