I love me some xenomorphs!

LordQulex

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I love me some xenomorphs!

I wouldn't say Ripped Off. The critter in the 1985 movie "Creature", is a Rip Off. The Tyranids and Zerg are sort of an outgrowth of and tribute to the whole Bio Mechanical movement that got sparked out of Geigers Necronomicon painting series....Now.....if someone wants to loan me a few bucks I want one of these H.R. Geiger Ibanez Guitars.......

400px-Giger_gitarren.jpg

~Rex

I wouldn't say Ripped Off. The critter in the 1985 movie "Creature"' date=' is a Rip Off. The Tyranids and Zerg are sort of an outgrowth of and tribute to the whole Bio Mechanical movement that got sparked out of Geigers Necronomicon painting series....[/img']

~Rex

Sorry, no, I have to disagree with you. Zergs and Tyranids are, at their core, rip-offs of the concepts for the alien creature from Alien. If Giger hadn't been part of Alien, and created such a unique design, I doubt you'd have ever seen Tyrandids... and Zergs, since they seem to also borrow from Starship Troopers, would probably be more bug-like.

You're misunderstanding. Or better yet, I miss-spoke. To me, a Rip Off, is a bad thing, like a Knock Off. Stuff like the Tyranids and Zergs though, have been around in Sci Fi a long time, but the biomechanical look, that's a big Geiger spark there, and them adopting it is because it's a cool recognizable look, and they did good things with it and ran in different directions. Now, that movie Creature, from '85.....was a total Schlock rip off....from top to bottom. Since both Tyranids and Zerg can stand on their own, and are in a lot of ways fun to play in their various elements (though I still hate the Zergling Rush with a passion) and each have their own supporting storylines, they feel more like an outgrowth Of, and evolution, and a tribute, then a Rip Off.

~Rex

Meh, I don't deal in tropes....that's modern lingo developed by people that needed a good thrashing for their lunch money back in the school days. We neanderthals prefer, Good Copies. :D Look at the bright side, I don't think either the Zerg or the Tyranids have a Face Hugger component.....

~Rex

Meh, I don't deal in tropes....that's modern lingo developed by people that needed a good thrashing for their lunch money back in the school days. We neanderthals prefer, Good Copies. :D Look at the bright side, I don't think either the Zerg or the Tyranids have a Face Hugger component.....

~Rex

Apparently, based on your comments (here and elsewhere), I would have been your regular punching bag if we'd ever attended the same high school.

Well' date=' it's been ripped off for both the Starcraft Zergs and the Games Workshop Tyranids - not to mention several other miniature companies.[/quote']

BTW Starcraft Zerg are licenced from Games Workshop due to their resemblence to the Warhammer 40k Tyranids.

Leading edge games had the Aliens Licence and produced many minis based on the Aliens movie. Hell I own the set of the Marines. Never saw the point of owning minis of the Zenomorphs, never could see me using them in a game.

In the 90 a european company released a wargame called Kryomek who had badguy aliens that were definatly homages to the Movie Aliens. I have quite a few of those too. http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=8deb6a9a4e9f35f718450ab92f45b2d7

Sorry' date=' no, I have to disagree with you. Zergs and Tyranids are, at their core, rip-offs of the concepts for the alien creature from [i']Alien[/i]. If Giger hadn't been part of Alien, and created such a unique design, I doubt you'd have ever seen Tyrandids... and Zergs, since they seem to also borrow from Starship Troopers, would probably be more bug-like.

The funny thing is that Giger's designs for the Alien film were really tame for him. A friend of mine once gave me a coffeetable book of his art for Christmas. I kind of wish he hadn't.

The funny thing is that Giger's designs for the Alien film were really tame for him. A friend of mine once gave me a coffeetable book of his art for Christmas. I kind of wish he hadn't.

Yeah, I've seen some of this other stuff. While he's an impressive artist the subject matter is... uhm... disturbing to say the least.

BTW Starcraft Zerg are licenced from Games Workshop due to their resemblence to the Warhammer 40k Tyranids.

Leading edge games had the Aliens Licence and produced many minis based on the Aliens movie. Hell I own the set of the Marines. Never saw the point of owning minis of the Zenomorphs, never could see me using them in a game.

In the 90 a european company released a wargame called Kryomek who had badguy aliens that were definatly homages to the Movie Aliens. I have quite a few of those too. http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=8deb6a9a4e9f35f718450ab92f45b2d7

Kryomek was the company I was trying to think of - thanks for that!

I have a bulk lot of their miniatures from a convention auction (edit - correction, I think I've got Legion of Steel on second thought, which is full of "Terminator homages"). I've got most of the Leading Edge ones as well - I tend to use them for the Aliens board game, for which I've made a 3D board.

I have a bulk lot of their miniatures from a convention auction (edit - correction, I think I've got Legion of Steel on second thought, which is full of "Terminator homages"). I've got most of the Leading Edge ones as well - I tend to use them for the Aliens board game, for which I've made a 3D board.

I am tempted to come over to your house and demand to play that. That was such an awesome game.

I love Legions of Steel they had a cool Dinodemon motif to many of the figs. Also good spacearmored troops. Very well done overall and I am sorry that they went away.

http://www.amazonminiatures.com/catalogue/lib_legions_of_steel.asp

It needed some finaggling though (I always played the Aliens when I brought it out) - to remove some of the randomness from the game. Whilst it was a bit balanced with the bonus bug rule (I tended to roll bad placements, but lots of extra bugs).

The 1/10 change for an extra bug is okay, but the placement on the board should be more weighted. I'd like to see - either a higher chance of bugs appearing near, but not on characters, a lesser chance of them appearing further away, but if they do, there are more of them.

For the reactor room that is - for medlab it's fine although the game can be unbalanced with the timing in the vents and it becomes too easy if the aliens are too far behind.