I love me some xenomorphs!

LordQulex

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I love me some xenomorphs!

It's a more unique name than "alien" by a very wide margin. Have you tried googling "alien"?

Yeah.... once. I woke up missing 32 hours and found a probe up my.... uhm... never mind about that part.

So I'm reading through discussions about Aliens (here and elsewhere) and in large part it seems like the creatures themselves aren't so much of interest as the ubercool futuristic warriors fighting them. When Aliens first came out, while I enjoyed the heck out of it, I did lament that the creatures went from "the perfect organism" to, effectively, video game targets. Space marines, not monsters, became the selling point. (Which is one reason I enjoyed Alien3's brutal return to form.) I've not followed other media about them except the movies, but judging by various fan discussions over the years, my lamentation from 1986 has been borne out.

Is that true? Is the biggest appeal of the aliens now that they're worthy adversaries for Predators and Terminators and cyborgs and superheroes and various space badasses? Have they transformed from a horrifying monster to a combat framework into which you insert your favorite super warrior?

Nup. I always liked playing the Aliens in the video games. My greatest experience with them was organising (in the first AVP) a group drop with other Alien players in a room with a tall ceiling onto unsuspecting players of other races. The selling point for these games for me, are the Aliens. Everything else is just boys with toys.

So I'm reading through discussions about Aliens (here and elsewhere) and in large part it seems like the creatures themselves aren't so much of interest as the ubercool futuristic warriors fighting them. When Aliens first came out, while I enjoyed the heck out of it, I did lament that the creatures went from "the perfect organism" to, effectively, video game targets. Space marines, not monsters, became the selling point. (Which is one reason I enjoyed Alien3's brutal return to form.) I've not followed other media about them except the movies, but judging by various fan discussions over the years, my lamentation from 1986 has been borne out.

Is that true? Is the biggest appeal of the aliens now that they're worthy adversaries for Predators and Terminators and cyborgs and superheroes and various space badasses? Have they transformed from a horrifying monster to a combat framework into which you insert your favorite super warrior?

Well, to be honest, I've never particularly liked the xenomorphs.

That's pretty much what their existence is for. They are the equivalent of zombies, robots, or Nazis in their respective genres--faceless but extremely dangerous antagonists. We don't care about the xenomorph's motivations. It's a bug for chrissakes. They are basically there to threaten the heroes and generate some interesting interactions among them. What sets them apart is that they are relatively badass even against heavily armed heroes, and the really horrible things that happen to people they capture.

Now to go back to the computer game realm, they become very interesting POV characters, simply because they use stealth and hand-to-hand as opposed to the usual frenetic run and shoot gameplay that dominates the FPS genre. I think I can count the number of good sneaky FPS games on one hand.

Oh no doubt in the Computer Game Stuff the Xenomorphs are downright cool and fun to play. Alas, the only time they are really even close to cool though, is in the First and Third movies, and the comics, then it's all "meh" .......which is a shame.

They had a great Mini's game to.

~Rex

I think I can count the number of good sneaky FPS games on one hand.

Thief series (of course, it being the first and best series for stealth), Deus Ex, AVP series, System Shock series, Hitman series, Splinter Cell series, Stolen (not a big hit, but I had fun with it), Metal Gear series, Velvet Assassin (not that great, high-end PC needed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Stealth_video_games

That's pretty much my order of fun with stealth FPS games.

Oh no doubt in the Computer Game Stuff the Xenomorphs are downright cool and fun to play. Alas, the only time they are really even close to cool though, is in the First and Third movies, and the comics, then it's all "meh" .......which is a shame.

They had a great Mini's game to.

~Rex

I made a 3D version - using silicon, bones, leftover bits and the miniatures from Leading Edge :)

I agree on 1st and 3rd movies - while 3rd had problems, I don't think they were that much worse than the 1st. And it is the reactions of the victims that make a monster terrifying.

That's sad. Someone should make them terrifying again.

I think AVP2 (the movie) does a good job of this, despite putting in lots of fanwankery (gadgets, gizmos, poses and hybrids). Of course, they accomplish this with cheap gimicks of preying on traditional instincts - protection of children and pregnant women.

That's sad. Someone should make them terrifying again.

I still find them rather terrifying. The things are huge and sharp and full of acid, and it takes a heavy caliber full automatic weapon to bring one down... if you see it in time. Just one of them is more fearsome than most modern-day horror movie antagonists. Given the choice of facing a xenomorph or a psychotic, quasi-supernatural axe murderer, I'll take the axe murderer, simply because my inevitable death will be relatively quick compared to what'll happen to me in the xenomorph nest.

Well, to a point true. If you get nabbed by the Xenomorph from the first movie you're going to be "waiting for the boot to drop and the chest burster for some time"........However if you get nabbed by one of the later Xenomorphs, heck, your impending demise will be faster then any of the last batch of kids at Crystal Lake, since they had to speed that whole process up and take out the "horror" elements (Odd thing that. I despise the movie rating system really....).

I do LIKE the Xeno's though. They should be fed a Burke every easter as a reward. Just don't care for their "generic-ing" as a progression through the movies.

~Rex

I liked the second movie. I think it's just as good as the first. I was pretty neutral on film three (although the deaths of Hicks and Newt pissed me off to no end... that and the lame explanation on how the face hugger got in the ship) and was meh about film four.

Didn't say I hated the second movie. It's a perfectly acceptable Action Flick. The Comic follow up for it was brilliant. Would have liked Gibsons original take for the third movie a lot better as well. Still, all that being said, the First movie to me was the far better "ALIEN" movie. It had the "Space" feel, and the "Unknown" elements, on top of the sheer pick 'em off barely see the creature until the reveal good old fashioned gotcha Movie shooting....While it is without a doubt, Not an action flick, and therefore holds little to no value for the action flick orientated, it is a far better representation of "Alien", and the critter, was far cooler then it's later incarnations.

Especially in the book. :D

~Rex

Didn't say I hated the second movie. It's a perfectly acceptable Action Flick. The Comic follow up for it was brilliant. Would have liked Gibsons original take for the third movie a lot better as well. Still, all that being said, the First movie to me was the far better "ALIEN" movie. It had the "Space" feel, and the "Unknown" elements, on top of the sheer pick 'em off barely see the creature until the reveal good old fashioned gotcha Movie shooting....While it is without a doubt, Not an action flick, and therefore holds little to no value for the action flick orientated, it is a far better representation of "Alien", and the critter, was far cooler then it's later incarnations.

Especially in the book. :D

~Rex

What little I've read of the Gibson script, I agree. I always thought that a good follow up to Aliens (instead of 3 and 4) would have an older Ripley, on a space station, when a derelict star ship is brought it. Empty... but for some odd ovoid structures clustered together here and there....

Speaking of sequels, I've read that Ridley Scott intends to make a prequel of some sort, dealing with the space jockey.

Probably won't see to much of the Space Jockey's folk. Scott said he wanted to put a more human twist on the story. Plus their "origin" is a bit mucked up. You've got no less then 5 different directions, From Scott's original comments, and the 4 different origins within the novels and the comics.

Either way, should be interesting.

~Rex