Sample Convention Character Sheet

Susano

[ATTACH]35163[/ATTACH]

I actually have several Con scenarios in my head and on paper, and hope to finally find the time to finish them. While doing so, I developed the following character sheet that will probably be what I hand out to people. What do you think?

Re: Sample Convention Character Sheet

I tried to look at the sheet through the eyes of someone who has not played before and I am assuming you want a sheet that people will play without having to ask too many questions.

I wonder whether you need the values for the characteristics? If you took that column out you could write the name of the characteristics in full.

I would probably have had a box clearly marked COMBAT with all of the relevant numbers there, rather than spread through the sheet - so almost half of the characteristics and skill levels.

Do you need to indicate the value of the limitations on powers? Might newbies be wondering what those numbers mean?

Do you need to put "(Sight Group)" for IR and UV perception? Will it matter to the players?

Do you need the game jargon for the invulnerability? I am presuming that "Generic Set Of Super Hero Abilities:" is a mjor heading with other abilities below it. But "Resistant (+½) applied to PD plus Resistant (+½) applied to ED" could be replaced with "this makes PD and ED work against killing attacks as well as normal attacks".

Having said all that - it looks nice and has many fewer numbers than the stock character sheet.

Doc

I tried to look at the sheet through the eyes of someone who has not played before and I am assuming you want a sheet that people will play without having to ask too many questions.

I wonder whether you need the values for the characteristics? If you took that column out you could write the name of the characteristics in full.

I would probably have had a box clearly marked COMBAT with all of the relevant numbers there, rather than spread through the sheet - so almost half of the characteristics and skill levels.

Do you need to indicate the value of the limitations on powers? Might newbies be wondering what those numbers mean?

Do you need to put "(Sight Group)" for IR and UV perception? Will it matter to the players?

Do you need the game jargon for the invulnerability? I am presuming that "Generic Set Of Super Hero Abilities:" is a mjor heading with other abilities below it. But "Resistant (+½) applied to PD plus Resistant (+½) applied to ED" could be replaced with "this makes PD and ED work against killing attacks as well as normal attacks".

Having said all that - it looks nice and has many fewer numbers than the stock character sheet.

Doc

My replies to your comments:

1) You mean take out the 60 and simply have STRENGTH 21- Lift 102.4 tons; 12d6 HTH Damage?

2) I'm trying to avoid going far beyond the published character sheets. I'd hate to show them character sheet A, have them open a book, and see character sheet B.

3) I was lazy. I debated taking those out. I think I will.

4) I noticed that myself. I might take out the "Group" part.

5) "Generic Set Of Super Hero Abilities" is the SFX (taken from some of the Captain's actual dialogue). I could cut this to "Resistant PD and ED."

One thing I was going to stress if/when I run this, was that I'd start with a brief intro to the character sheet. Saying something akin to "this is almost what you'd see in a published character sheet" and going from there. I'll work on the Captain's sheet some more and post the revised edition.

My replies to your comments:

1) You mean take out the 60 and simply have STRENGTH 21- Lift 102.4 tons; 12d6 HTH Damage?

Yes. Do you need the actual value. I realise it is a biggie but I almost never use the value when I have all the effects there. However, if you do not want the sheet to differ too much from published sheets this might be a step too far.

2) I'm trying to avoid going far beyond the published character sheets. I'd hate to show them character sheet A' date=' have them open a book, and see character sheet B. [/quote']

I dont think there is too much problem here if it helps gameplay - things are just in different places. I think this is different enough that they will see the value of moving beyond the working sheet that the published sheet actually is.

5) "Generic Set Of Super Hero Abilities" is the SFX (taken from some of the Captain's actual dialogue). I could cut this to "Resistant PD and ED."

Yeah - fewer words are usually better. :)

Doc

It looks good. I love seeing people working to make the GUI between the system and the player better.

The only picky thing I see now is that beside STR you indicate the END cost as [6] and in the power descriptions you write END 6. I like the [6] because I am used to it but I think that new users will find the END 6 more friendly. :)

Good work here, IMO.

Doc

I'll admit, I considered removing the END off of these sheets, since it's A) Nextwave, and B) would only slow down play. I also want to keep STR all on one line if I can, and adding END X would probably push it to two lines every time.

The one suggestion I would make is to simplify the Complications section a bit. Right now, you've got:

Hunted: General Dirk Anger of H.A.T.E. Very Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

Hunted: S.I.L.E.N.T. Very Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI;Harshly Punish)

Physical Complication: Doesn't Always Know His Own Strength (usually when drunk) (Infrequently; Greatly Impairing)

Psychological Complication: Defensive About Being Called/Thought 'Stupid' (Very Common; Moderate)

Psychological Complication: Vulgar (Common; Moderate)

I would change that to:

Hunted: General Dirk Anger of H.A.T.E.

Hunted: S.I.L.E.N.T.

Physical Complication: Doesn't Always Know His Own Strength (usually when drunk)

Psychological Complication: Defensive About Being Called/Thought 'Stupid'

Psychological Complication: Vulgar

Although the relative power of the Hunteds might be good to know' date=' as would be strength of the PsyComps.[/quote']

Except... this is a con game. The Hunted will either show or it won't. As for Psych... yeah it might be needed. But I think one can get away with just the descriptors.

unless you include the strenths of the PsychComps in the description

e.g. Total Fear of Heights, Strong Hatred of Cruelty, etc

Hmm... I'll have to think about that.