Defender's origin

novi

Reading Champions 6th, I saw that Defender's origin has been left unchanged. Which is to say, his dad fought in WWII, and he's still in his late thirties. While that is just barely plausible, with multiple marriages on his dad's part, it just doesn't feel right to me. So is it time for a ret-con?

Making him James Harmon V would make the math work out much nicer, these days. And as changes go, how big is it, really?

The only question here is who would the new James Harmon IV be? Specifically, what impressive thing did he do? He might have been a hero in Vietnam, but that's almost too obvious. What else is there for him to be famous for, from the 60s, 70s, or 80s?

Re: Defender's origin

An astronaut is an obvious possibility.

Seconded. He could be involved with the Apollo missions, perhaps a ficticious Apollo 18, 19, or 20.

He could also be a deep-sea explorer, perhaps commanding an advanced submarine like the Seaview (is UNTIL's Swordfish part of this edition's Champions universe?), or an underwater colony off the coast of Florida or Hawaii.

He could also be a secret agent, an American James Bond. Or he could come from the British side of the Harmon family, and be a British. . .James Bond. Or an FBI agent investigating the mob. And there are other possibilities, I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

Seconded. He could be involved with the Apollo missions, perhaps a ficticious Apollo 18, 19, or 20.

He could also be a deep-sea explorer, perhaps commanding an advanced submarine like the Seaview (is UNTIL's Swordfish part of this edition's Champions universe?), or an underwater colony off the coast of Florida or Hawaii.

He could also be a secret agent, an American James Bond. Or he could come from the British side of the Harmon family, and be a British. . .James Bond. Or an FBI agent investigating the mob. And there are other possibilities, I'm sure.

Hope that helps.

The commander of the first Mars orbiter flight? A kind of nod to the history of Defender 3000 in Galactic Champions.

This would also help define Harmon Industries' "techie" presence in Millennium City: Defender's father has a lot of NASA and JPL connections...

What about making his father a powered armor hero as well? Defender I or maybe under another name. Use the 4th ed Defender as the character's father, with the 5th/6th ed one carrying on the legacy ...

Reading Champions 6th, I saw that Defender's origin has been left unchanged. Which is to say, his dad fought in WWII, and he's still in his late thirties. While that is just barely plausible, with multiple marriages on his dad's part, it just doesn't feel right to me. So is it time for a ret-con?

Multiple? To have one child you only need to marry once (if at all....)

I think you mean this is plausible if the father married a woman younger than himself, late in life. That could have been because his life was so full of adventure and accomplishment it wasn't until he was 60 that he "settled down."

Or if there was time travel, a long period frozen in an iceberg, or other comic type shenanigans.

Or we can insert a generation. I vote to make the missing Harmon a shrewd businessman and competent engineer who developed the family business and fortune but is very much a mundane sort, quite unlike his heroic father and son.

Lucius Alexander

Inevitable palindromedary tagline

If the current Harmon is going to one day take over the business, his father may wonder why he's always dashing off whenever his PDA starts beeping... and showing up a week later with no good reason for where he's been (in Antarctica, fighting Dr. Destroyer).

"Uh, well, sir... There was a situation..."

"This should be good.":sneaky:

Or, you could go another route- James Harmon IV is the family's dark secret- a Harmon who went bad , becoming a supervillain and this led to the "rewriting" of the family history to make it seem that James V was the son of James III to protect the family from their shame... :evil:

Or' date=' you could go another route- James Harmon IV is the family's dark secret- a Harmon who [i']went bad[/i] , becoming a supervillain and this led to the "rewriting" of the family history to make it seem that James V was the son of James III to protect the family from their shame... :evil:

ooooooooooooohhhhh, me likey!

Or' date=' you could go another route- James Harmon IV is the family's dark secret- a Harmon who [i']went bad[/i] , becoming a supervillain and this led to the "rewriting" of the family history to make it seem that James V was the son of James III to protect the family from their shame... :evil:

And what might an unscrupulous %$%&* like Invictus do with that little nugget of information? :eg: